Spindle Nut Socket Size?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, Here is the issue that is going on here.

We have many members that cumulatively have many DECADES of working on these trucks. We even have a few Original Owners that have had these trucks to 21 - 32 years. What you are describing does not go together. Many here have tried to help you, and you have argued they are wrong. We are not there, so we are not seeing what you are seeing. Could you take some pictures of what you are working on, and also add one of the measurement of the hub. We are trying to help, but the parts you are describing do not match what many here have experienced first hand in working on their own, and others rigs. It sounds as if in the last couple of decades they may have been some mixing and matching of parts. Please do not get stuck on sizes and specifications and the like. The best course would be to post up pictures of what you have, and we can all look at the problem and proceed accordingly. Also realize, as much as you are fighting the suggestion, a hammer and chisel may be your ONLY alternative. I know you want to do this right, as I would myself, but I think someone before you has done something wrong that you are now left to correct.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
OK, Here is the issue that is going on here.

We have many members that cumulatively have many DECADES of working on these trucks. We even have a few Original Owners that have had these trucks to 21 - 32 years. What you are describing does not go together. Many here have tried to help you, and you have argued they are wrong. We are not there, so we are not seeing what you are seeing. Could you take some pictures of what you are working on, and also add one of the measurement of the hub. We are trying to help, but the parts you are describing do not match what many here have experienced first hand in working on their own, and others rigs. It sounds as if in the last couple of decades they may have been some mixing and matching of parts. Please do not get stuck on sizes and specifications and the like. The best course would be to post up pictures of what you have, and we can all look at the problem and proceed accordingly. Also realize, as much as you are fighting the suggestion, a hammer and chisel may be your ONLY alternative. I know you want to do this right, as I would myself, but I think someone before you has done something wrong that you are now left to correct.

I have a pic posted on here of it. I will try and get one of the hub with a measuring tape on Thursday when I get home. And yes, it seems that Ford did a lot of messing around especially 87' and 88', during the transition. And I have some 2.5" DOM tubing on the way to make a proper socket. No need to destroy what's there with no hope of getting it back together, especially if the factory did do some crazy stuff.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I can't believe I am jumping in here but... here goes.

The pic is post 58. Spline count (according to my public school education) is 19. A Dana 50 should have a 50 cast into the housing and to my knowledge was only available with one spline count - 30 splines. A Dana 44 had multiple spline counts offered and yes, 19 was one of them. Could the OP have a 50 housing with 44 internals? :dunno As Scott said over the years god only knows what happened to these trucks. Right now my money says you don't have 50 per say. The internals tell you otherwise. Hammer, chisel and cut your losses is the road I would have taken day one.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already measured the spindle nut. It is 2.5". Pretty easy to understand. I actually said this on page 3 or such. And I can't measure the hub because I'm on the other side of North Carolina, where my truck is not. So yes, it is a 50 when the Dana 44 socket physically can not engage the nut inside the hub. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.

Hmm dana 50 socket TOO BIG WONT FIT
dana 44 socket wont engauge so its a 50

Cant be 50 socket too big...cant be 44 socket doesnt engauge...dana 35 perhaps.

Seriously the logic followed is illogical...

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I can't believe I am jumping in here but... here goes.

The pic is post 58. Spline count (according to my public school education) is 19. A Dana 50 should have a 50 cast into the housing and to my knowledge was only available with one spline count - 30 splines. A Dana 44 had multiple spline counts offered and yes, 19 was one of them. Could the OP have a 50 housing with 44 internals? :dunno As Scott said over the years god only knows what happened to these trucks. Right now my money says you don't have 50 per say. The internals tell you otherwise. Hammer, chisel and cut your losses is the road I would have taken day one.

I would if I could. The problem is then I would have to have a tool to put a spindle nut back on. Which as we can tell from this might turn into a huge challenge to actually find the right nut. So going about it the destructive way is the wrong way.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*****, i woulda done a front end swap already.
that my friends, is the exact opposite of "NUTS"

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Except he has a DANA 44 outer spindle and axle and locknut Bill...not a 50
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Except it is a 50, not a 44. The nut is 2.5" outside diameter. If it was a 44 it would be 2 3/8". If you truly knew these setups you would know the sizes. And if you weren't a troll you would have read that I already physically tried the 44 nut, and that it in fact was to small. Just because you think you know this setup does not mean you actually do

Am I the only one who noticed that part? :rotflmao

You have almost 2 weeks of people trying to help you on this thread, we have turned what should have been AT MOST a 10 reply thread into 9 pages (so far), and I have a feeling that although we are still attempting to help you (in true BOOB fashion), you are past accepting advice (as shown in pages 2-9 LOL).

I myself, will offer one final set of information in the interest of being helpful (seeing as I post rather sporadically), there is a whole wide world of information available, and I was going to go out to my shed this morning and grab some lockouts I have sitting, as well as the sockets for the 44 and 50/60 and take pictures, but I decided to use my google-fu instead.

You must be registered for see images attach

Which hub is yours, top or bottom?
If it is the top, with the big noticeable spacer ring cast as the base of the hub, well, your truck's sitting on a dana 44, stop arguing about it, if it's the bottom, I'll tell you why your axle is AFU momentarily.

The same axle housings are used for both the Dana 44HD and Dana 50 TTB systems, so the only difference between them (out to the spindles) is the differential. There were actually two different versions of the Dana 50 TTB. The lighter Dana 50 TTB used the same components as the Dana 44HD TTB on F250HDs from 1980 to 1983. The heavier version used somewhat bigger axle shafts, u-joints, spindles, bearings, hubs, and hub lockouts on F350s and later model F250HDs.

There you have it, IF it's a true D50, you'll have the following measurements: Axle shaft diameter: 1.21" Axle spline diameter: 1.31" (that's on the real D50, not the baby D50).
If you have the baby D50, well, your truck has got the wrong axle, and you really should consider that a PO put one in from an early truck, it's out of a 80-83 gasser. At that point, I'd swap in a later axle, it makes more sense to go with a D44 for parts availability, heavy d50 or a d60 for strength. But if you want to cheap out, go to a wrecking yard, and grab the hubs from a D44, then at least it's a plain D44

Now, call me a troll, I dare you.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who noticed that part? :rotflmao

You have almost 2 weeks of people trying to help you on this thread, we have turned what should have been AT MOST a 10 reply thread into 9 pages (so far), and I have a feeling that although we are still attempting to help you (in true BOOB fashion), you are past accepting advice (as shown in pages 2-9 LOL).

I myself, will offer one final set of information in the interest of being helpful (seeing as I post rather sporadically), there is a whole wide world of information available, and I was going to go out to my shed this morning and grab some lockouts I have sitting, as well as the sockets for the 44 and 50/60 and take pictures, but I decided to use my google-fu instead.

Which hub is yours, top or bottom?
If it is the top, with the big noticeable spacer ring cast as the base of the hub, well, your truck's sitting on a dana 44, stop arguing about it, if it's the bottom, I'll tell you why your axle is AFU momentarily.

The same axle housings are used for both the Dana 44HD and Dana 50 TTB systems, so the only difference between them (out to the spindles) is the differential. There were actually two different versions of the Dana 50 TTB. The lighter Dana 50 TTB used the same components as the Dana 44HD TTB on F250HDs from 1980 to 1983. The heavier version used somewhat bigger axle shafts, u-joints, spindles, bearings, hubs, and hub lockouts on F350s and later model F250HDs.

There you have it, IF it's a true D50, you'll have the following measurements: Axle shaft diameter: 1.21" Axle spline diameter: 1.31" (that's on the real D50, not the baby D50).
If you have the baby D50, well, your truck has got the wrong axle, and you really should consider that a PO put one in from an early truck, it's out of a 80-83 gasser. At that point, I'd swap in a later axle, it makes more sense to go with a D44 for parts availability, heavy d50 or a d60 for strength. But if you want to cheap out, go to a wrecking yard, and grab the hubs from a D44, then at least it's a plain D44

Now, call me a troll, I dare you.

Yes I saw that....more less directed at me I am guessing..:rotflmao thick skin...no worries

Thanks for the post!!!!

I was trying to recall as you did point out that freakishly oddball 44hd/50 hybrid....i just couldnt remember ..stroke took lots from me memory is part of it. Somethings isnt right...44hd and 50 use same bj as well and bj spacing...could pote tially be real hodge podge of craptastic pieced together axle.

Working in wrecker for years you see all kinds of stuff....but locking front axle nuts...not yet....50 with 19 spline axles not yet...

Based on axle splines, hub dia tbat wont allow d50 socket to fit and d50 sockt to large it appears 44 hd.but socket wont enguage hubs...coukd be an ooerationak error there. Ratchet hubs require extra effort as i remember

No image of cast 50 or 44 on housing...no pics of or measurements of hubs...but again busy working so understandable...

Hope he gets it out...can always hammer and punch and buy a replacement later!

JM44CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online