IDIT glow plug tools

lakesurfer

Reaction score
For any who are just getting started:

I love having a factory turbo IDI (VIN C / IDIT) except when it is glow plug time. Plugs 5 & 7 suck because the turbo is blocking access. For any new to this game, here's my tool list to help the job suck less:

Pliers, long, curved needlenose
Screwdriver, flathead, long, large
10mm socket, deep well, 1/4" drive
10mm ratcheting box end wrench
(for glow plugs)
7/16" ratcheting box end wrench
7/16" Hex cap w/ 1/4" drive
(Drive deep 10mm socket w/ ratcheting box end)
6" extension, 1/4" drive
3" extension, 1/4" drive
U-joint, 1/4" drive
Magnet pick up, extendable
Anti-seize compound

11mm socket, deep well
(For turbo plenum clamps)
8mm socket (for cold air intake)
14mm socket w/ 6" extension (for intake housing)
Whatever tools needed to disconnect the batteries.
A metric ton of cool patience.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO I see that now. I did the whole job using 10mm on them b/c seemed like a solid fit. I see why now: 3/8" = 0.375" = 9.525 mm. 3/8" would have been better.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Kdo58 I usually don't break out though kind of tools until after things start going sideways.

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sometimes it's possible to get them out without welding, I got one out on my in laws truck with a vice grip, then a pry bar between the vice and the intake. Slid right out, like popping a zit on the engine. I keep that glow plug because it fascinates me how it failed and how I got it out.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO I see that now. I did the whole job using 10mm on them b/c seemed like a solid fit. I see why now: 3/8" = 0.375" = 9.525 mm. 3/8" would have been better.
Now 7.3 PSD glow plugs do have a 10mm hex.
I used to have a guy living across the street from me. Obviously had been (and probably still is) a hard drug user. He would say something like that's an 11/16". I'd tell him that the bolts are all metric. His answer was always "well it fit on there". He also swore up and down that Torx and hex keys are the same because he found a Torx socket that would loosen a bolt with an Allen head.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Now 7.3 PSD glow plugs do have a 10mm hex.
I used to have a guy living across the street from me. Obviously had been (and probably still is) a hard drug user. He would say something like that's an 11/16". I'd tell him that the bolts are all metric. His answer was always "well it fit on there". He also swore up and down that Torx and hex keys are the same because he found a Torx socket that would loosen a bolt with an Allen head.
I'd like to believe that using a 10mm socket on a nominally 9.525mm fastener or glow plug is close enough to keep me out of the "suspected user of hard drugs" and "some people shouldn't own tools" categories! (Ha!)LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.