Spindle Nut Socket Size?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have finally started making the right tool. I need some more dremel bits. Its not hard, but getting it perfect will take some time. I also have the measurement pics. The splines on the hub are 48.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for coming and updating.

Great pictures...

Now seeing that your hub is 3 1/2" diam it would appear it is indeed a 44 or that ratbast#@& mini 50 which is a 50 ring gear with 44 outers.

@Can30Diesel can you please measure the 44 hub and get similar pictures as Jaed did please for comparrison purposez?

Good luck keep working at it and posting pics...this needs to be resolved...so others who run into this have clear concise info.

E D I T....

My son came out today F150 D44 here is his locking hub

Thanks again for updating your thread.

Last edited:

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go! Straight off the bronco frame!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go! Straight off the bronco frame!

What those numbers on lowest row be...buwa ha ha..

Looks like an identical axle eh? Slightly different hub...smaller 5 bolt 1/2 ton 44 hub vs larger 3/4 ton HD 44 hub....

Thanks Chris

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! It was free, came in a toolbox I bought along with some other interesting junk.

No problem at all Al!

I even braved the rain and wind and darkness to take these measurements. :p

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have finally started making the right tool. I need some more dremel bits. Its not hard, but getting it perfect will take some time. I also have the measurement pics. The splines on the hub are 48.

Where are ya at...got this resolved???

We want to know what is happening.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
My 2.5" socket I made wouldnt fit. It was to big OD, even though the nut is 2.5" OD.

And the auto parts store can not order the proper outer nut. So I will need to order one online probably then make a socket for it after I take the old one off the hard way.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2.5" socket I made wouldnt fit. It was to big OD, even though the nut is 2.5" OD.

And the auto parts store can not order the proper outer nut. So I will need to order one online probably then make a socket for it after I take the old one off the hard way.

Is it possible that the correct socket exists however inexperience of using the socket may be th issue in gettjng it to fit and work correctly?

Me I am not seeing any other option than unfamiliarity of procedure or application that can be the problem.

4x shops everywhere deal with this stuff routinely so they likely have a solution.

Is there a local shop you can go to?

I just want to see thjs nut off and then pics with the different sockets showing how it wont fit.

There has to be a tool.for this application that functions correctly

There has to be

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Fixed it. Got both sides done. Brakes are still squishy after bleeding them several times. I am going to have a shop use their machine to bleed them and get it right. Now to the socket. The socket that finally worked is some crazy 2 sided thing. The teeth were the right size and all, but I still had to dremel off the flashing and paint for it to work right. Of course the socket now stays with the truck.

So what had happened is someone put the old Dana 50 half-shaft stuff on the proper Dana 50 diff and axle tubes. So its all messed up, but it works. As of now I am going to start saving for a PSD.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed it. Got both sides done. Brakes are still squishy after bleeding them several times. I am going to have a shop use their machine to bleed them and get it right. Now to the socket. The socket that finally worked is some crazy 2 sided thing. The teeth were the right size and all, but I still had to dremel off the flashing and paint for it to work right. Of course the socket now stays with the truck.

So what had happened is someone put the old Dana 50 half-shaft stuff on the proper Dana 50 diff and axle tubes. So its all messed up, but it works. As of now I am going to start saving for a PSD.

What about pictures...did you take pictures...we need to see the details man get a pic of that socket!

LOL