Some ZF 5 specifics needed

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Here are the pictures I promised...

You must be registered for see images attach

If the loco shop can't weld this, I'll need a new shifter. Looks like someone grabbed the wrong hand hold to move the tranny.

Also looks like someone didn't have the proper tools, to remove the drain plug..

Here's what I got, for my $225..

Tail piece, with the speedo hole. Would it be easier to swap tail pieces, than to swap whole transfer cases?

The pigtail that was in question.. It's so close to the 4x4 shifter, that it has to be for a 4x4 indicator light.

The top plate is missing 6 bolts. Anyone know off-hand what size they are, so I can replace them?

The red plug I was talking about... For the reverse lights

Inside the bell housing. The two holes are for venting purposes??

And the builder's plate...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you got yourself a good deal;Sweet
the broken parts is the shifter arm as is replaceable.
the rounded off bolt is the fill plug not the drain.
the hole is for the speedo.
the red plug is for reverse.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh?!? What do you mean "waste your money"?!? Other than the SMF itself, that is exactly the clutch setup I put in my truck (I already had a SMF in my truck). Its been working great for a year and a half now. Since it costs $175 less (nearly 1/3 off) - and they are good quality Valero parts - what/where is this "waste" of money you refer to?

the flywheel you linked to is a remanned dual mass flywheel.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pigtail on the transfer case is for the 4x4 indicator lights.the shifter can be welded with stainless rod or heat it up nice and red and mig weld it.its cast iron.i do have an extra shifter if ya need one.you can use either transfer case you have.or buy the speed sensor just to use as a plug,its only like 15 bux at autozone.or go to a junk yard and pocket one.its the same for the cars as well as the trucks.the bolts for the shift tower are either 5/16-18 or metric 12x1.25 i even have a junk tranny with those bolts if needed.make sure the reverse lock out works since those bolts are missing!!!!put it in 5th and try to shift directly into reverse like you were shifting into a 6th gear.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add one more thing....see that allen bolt next to the fill plug?
DO NOT REMOVE THAT ALLEN BOLT unless you intend to do a full tear down on the trans.

Attachments

• 693L.jpg
    693L.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 15

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the flywheel you linked to is a remanned dual mass flywheel.

Ummm...WRONG...FAIL!

Tell you what, if you find someplace selling a reman DMF for $60 + $115 core charge you let us know. I'll buy a BUNCH of 'em, and so will several other people around here I'm sure. Here is the link to the reman DMF - its $1369 http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=SFW&MfrPartNumber=744OE&PartType=267&PTSet=A

Take a look at the link in my post again. It for a resurfaced flywheel for an 86 F250 with the 6.9 and the T-19. There was no ZF5 (and therefore no DMF) even offered in 86 - they weren't even an option untl 87.

There are a lot of things I don't know, but this ain't one of them. I've not only done the swap, I've done some pretty EXTENSIVE research on it. I put together my own clutch kit from scratch based on that reasearch and it has been working great in my truck for a year and a half now. At least two or three other people have put together and used this setup - based on my research - and so far no one has come back to report anything but success with it.

Wast of money indeed... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Ok... I ordered the clutch set and master/slave cylinder for this swap. They'll be here this afternoon.

I still need to get a shifter, drive shafts (Junk yard, or machined) the 6 missing bolts for the shifter tower, kevlar pilot bushing and the connector for the reverse lights. I also need the clutch pedal assembly and the firewall reinforcement plate (OEM only?)

On the 93, is there a plate in the floor panel that needs to be removed for the shifter? Also, with this truck having an E4DOA in it originally, will I have to leave the PCM in it? Will the speedo still work, if the PCM is removed?

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the shifter thing was cast iron. I just welded some thick straps of steel to the sides of mine when it broke. It all fit back under the shift boot so I was happy, and it hasn't come apart since.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I went on a parts run this evening and picked up several of the parts I did not yet have. I got a floor pan, with the hole already in it. I also got a front drive shaft. I'm not sure if it is the right one, but will be able to find out tomorrow.

I also got a crossmember that is a tad over 35.25 inches long. I'll also measure the distance between the frame rails, to be sure it's the right length. The one on my E4OD only has one gusset. This one has two.

Also got a pedal assembly.. It has a date stamp on the back, that reads: 8/96. I believe it will still fit a 93. Anyone know what I still need to put on this assembly?

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the pedal assembly... For your viewing pleasure.. Thanks Bill!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That napa clutch set is probably a LUK anyway, I bought a Valeo when I did mine and it was a LUK reboxed. A buddy of mine bought one from some warehouse and it was an off brand, opened it up and it was a LUK with the names ground off, same exact casting numbers as mine. I dont think there are too many different manufacturers making them.
The shifter stick is either powdered metal or cast steel, it welds kinda wierd but is doable.