Wide-range ZF-5 poll

How much better is the wide-range ZF-5 vs the diesel gearing? Pick up to 2 answers.

• I own/have driven the wide-range and I love it!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I own/have driven the wide-range and it's a toss-up for me.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I own/have driven the wide-range and I don't like it.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I just want to vote in a poll!

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 'Merica!

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I love slushboxes!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for funsies want some info on the wide-range ZF-5 mod. I have to rebuild my ZF and I may as well do it the best way I can, if it's viable. I know most people that have done the mod really like it.

I tow a 4,500lb trailer on occasion and will likely get a medium-sized 5th-wheel camper in the next year or two, so she's not just a handsome girl...she does some work, too!

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the wide range gears in my truck, and I do like them. The lower reverse gear is nice, and 3rd is perfect for suburban neighborhoods with 25 mph speed limits. Before I felt like 2nd was too low and 3rd was too high for my neighborhood. The lower 2nd gear in the gasser gearset is also good if you’re one of those people that likes to start in 2nd. The overdrive is slightly taller too, but not enough to notice. I haven’t towed heavy since the swap, and the most I’ve had in the bed is 1000lb so I can’t really comment on that. All of this is in a 4x4 single cab with 35” tires and 4.10 gears.

I didn’t go out of my way to get a gasser trans, it was just the only one I came across for a good price. I don’t know whether it’s worth swapping out a good transmission to get wide gears, but if I was shopping for one I sure wouldn’t turn down a wide ratio as long as it has the big block bellhousing(which you’ll have to modify to fit the diesel).

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the regular diesel zf5 in the tow truck and the dually. I REALLY want to do this mod on the tow truck when a gasser transmission turns up! I didn't vote, but I'd go for 'Merica! And I love slush boxes. And I might add that I love gear rollover too? Reeeerrrreeeerrreerrrrrrrrrreerrrrrrrrreerrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have only tried the wide ratio with gas engines and close ratio with diesel.

The close-ratio really left an impression on me... and I want to adapt one to a 6BT cummins.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Well I wish I had the gas ZF5 instead of my diesel ZF.
Creeping back & forth loaded BIG & HEAVY I have to drop into low range on my BW1356 just moving round. Taking off loaded really heavy I burn my clutch!!!!

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Drove a wide range ZF in my 94 F250 N/A idi for some years, mostly hauling firewood and some heavy vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, frames, axles, etc). 1st gear is worthless unless you are pulling something real heavy or launching on a decent incline or both. 2nd gear is right in the sweet spot to launch 99% of the time unloaded so it was never much of a downside for me. Its just, launching on a hill with a load in traffic in 1st, with a top speed of ~6mph in my truck's setup, by the time you slosh it into 2nd and let the clutch up, you have already lost alot of that momentum and people behind you are right up your tailpipe. I would rather have the diesel ZF and use the low on the tcase OR I bet the wide ratio + 3.55s wouldnt be as bad.

Best use I had with it was pulling trees down while logging. Stick it in 4-Lo and 1st gear and it felt like I could rip a tree in half with it. Only problem was traction in the forest but I dropped many a tree by notching in an odd direction, tie it up with a 250ft bull rope, and tug it down with the truck.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove a wide range ZF in my 94 F250 N/A idi for some years, mostly hauling firewood and some heavy vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, frames, axles, etc). 1st gear is worthless unless you are pulling something real heavy or launching on a decent incline or both. 2nd gear is right in the sweet spot to launch 99% of the time unloaded so it was never much of a downside for me. Its just, launching on a hill with a load in traffic in 1st, with a top speed of ~6mph in my truck's setup, by the time you slosh it into 2nd and let the clutch up, you have already lost alot of that momentum and people behind you are right up your tailpipe. I would rather have the diesel ZF and use the low on the tcase OR I bet the wide ratio + 3.55s wouldnt be as bad.

Best use I had with it was pulling trees down while logging. Stick it in 4-Lo and 1st gear and it felt like I could rip a tree in half with it. Only problem was traction in the forest but I dropped many a tree by notching in an odd direction, tie it up with a 250ft bull rope, and tug it down with the truck.
Wide range ZF5 and a Stihl 044, should be able to conquer the world.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the regular diesel zf5 in the tow truck and the dually. I REALLY want to do this mod on the tow truck when a gasser transmission turns up! I didn't vote, but I'd go for 'Merica! And I love slush boxes. And I might add that I love gear rollover too? Reeeerrrreeeerrreerrrrrrrrrreerrrrrrrrreerrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!
Are both of those 4wd?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that they changed the gear ratios for the later diesel ZF5s (the zf5-S47), and sort of split the difference between the earlier close ratio and the wide ratio. Depending on your preferences it might be better to get an S47 transmission.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that they changed the gear ratios for the later diesel ZF5s (the zf5-S47), and sort of split the difference between the earlier close ratio and the wide ratio. Depending on your preferences it might be better to get an S47 transmission.
You must be registered for see images attach
That's 5:24 reverse looks SWEET, though!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the ratio in a ZF6?

I have never driven a zf6 behind an idi. Behind a 7.3 power stroke it is a great setup as long as the truck is always heavy. If driving empty the gears are far too close together and have to skip half of them.

In town driving just seems like your always hunting for the correct gear because you're either always under the turbo or the revs are way up on top. My 99 weighs in at about 10,200# without any load on it and it's still far too light to be a pleasant driving experience.

Getting a heavy load moving and running the highway it awesome.

My opinion on the zf6 is that if it is a dedicated tow pig you will love the 6spd. If your looking for a daily driver I would stick with the 5spd.

James