“Need help using my DTI 3300s timing meter on my 6.9 IDI.”

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on this 7.3 ID I trying to set the timing I got a new model 3300 diesel timing unit. I got the probe hole cleaned out and install the probe it fits tight.
So I power up the unit and plug in the probe.
I hooked the little transponder up on the number one injection line close to the injector after sanding and cleaning the injection line. Then I hooked the red wire up to power source and the black wire with the clamp I just grounded it to the injection line clean spot.
All I can see to do now is to start the engine turn the function switch to the probe position.
Then I understand I should see the RPM display and the degrees display. The degrees say 0 not flashing the RPM shows a 0 that scans across the little screen.
How long should it take four of the RPM to show up? And I wonder why the degrees read 0?
If you need any pictures or some kind of attached file I can do that just not sure what you all might need thank you for any help

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a better ground , then space the probe 3 business cards off the balancer.
Then come back to report...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I tried and tried to get the probe to work on multiple trucks, I ended up getting the timing light. Worked first try. I suggest getting a light if you can't get the probe to work. Good luck...

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a specific order how everything is plugged in. I personally would power the DTI unit on it's own 12v battery to get rid of any chance of ground finding it's way through the unit. The balancer prob is plugging into the DTI unit AFTER it's been powered on and set to the correct settings. It can be difficult finding the perfect position for the probe. I found success at about 1-2 business cards but others have seen it slightly more than this. I have the Gun as well but haven't really used it yet. Make sure the balancer itself is clean and the notch is cleared out.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had trubble with the magnetic probe at first but found a solution. I purchased my DTI 3300s as mil-surplus off ebay and it appeared to be new and unused. I cleaned the bejeebus out of everything but still couldn't get a proper reading. Finally I removed the little metal spring piece that's on the mag probe and then it worked. I think the spring does make for a nice and tight fit in the probe hole but it was preventing the probe from getting close enough. Just my .02 but that's what worked for me.

Also found that after cleaning the injector line real good a little wd-40 sprayed on before installing the clamp made for a more stable reading.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a better ground , then space the probe 3 business cards off the balancer.
Then come back to report...
Thank you I stuck a feeler gauge under to see about how far off the harmonic balancer I was and found there was some debris under or between the timing tab and the harmonic balancer, this truck has been sitting for a while. After that it started working but still not a steady read. I wonder if it's moving around a little bit that is the probe.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a specific order how everything is plugged in. I personally would power the DTI unit on it's own 12v battery to get rid of any chance of ground finding it's way through the unit. The balancer prob is plugging into the DTI unit AFTER it's been powered on and set to the correct settings. It can be difficult finding the perfect position for the probe. I found success at about 1-2 business cards but others have seen it slightly more than this. I have the Gun as well but haven't really used it yet. Make sure the balancer itself is clean and the notch is cleared out.
I like that idea of the separate battery haven't heard that any place else I'll give it a try and I'll be sure to clear that notch out real good thank you

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had trubble with the magnetic probe at first but found a solution. I purchased my DTI 3300s as mil-surplus off ebay and it appeared to be new and unused. I cleaned the bejeebus out of everything but still couldn't get a proper reading. Finally I removed the little metal spring piece that's on the mag probe and then it worked. I think the spring does make for a nice and tight fit in the probe hole but it was preventing the probe from getting close enough. Just my .02 but that's what worked for me.

Also found that after cleaning the injector line real good a little wd-40 sprayed on before installing the clamp made for a more stable reading.
That is something I haven't tried I'll certainly look into that thank you

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the reason the probe method is difficult is because the balancer needs to be VERY true to read correctly and consistently. As i'm sure you can see they're not always perfect especially the older they get. Most go with the timing gun. I haven't used my DTI timing gun successfully yet but i'll be breaking out the timing equipment here soon to timing my new to me motor.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you need help running the timing light hit me up, I can only find good directions on how to use the probe, not the light, but I figured out how to use it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean the balencer slot with a wire brush so you have a nice crisp edge on both sides of the notch.
This breaks the circuit for the probe readings
Clean out the hole with a 5/15" drill bit.
Do NOT go a*p*e*s*h*i*t* and auger out the hole
Now go reread the last line.
Or the probe will fail.
It has to be secured and not touch the balancer or it will destroy itself...
Here's the instructions.
I'm going to scan them in the am and send them to the tech 101 thread...

Attachments

• 20240506_134934.jpg
    20240506_134934.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240506_134929.jpg
    20240506_134929.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240506_134908.jpg
    20240506_134908.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Clean the balencer slot with a wire brush so you have a nice crisp edge on both sides of the notch.
This breaks the circuit for the probe readings
Clean out the hole with a 5/15" drill bit.
Do NOT go a*p*e*s*h*i*t* and auger out the hole
Now go reread the last line.
Or the probe will fail.
It has to be secured and not touch the balancer or it will destroy itself...
Here's the instructions.
I'm going to scan them in the am and send them to the tech 101 thread...
What offset would we set for these engines?

I havent checked my timing in a while and now I feel that I want to go back and check it again to make sure it hasnt moved.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Working on this 7.3 ID I trying to set the timing I got a new model 3300 diesel timing unit. I got the probe hole cleaned out and install the probe it fits tight.
So I power up the unit and plug in the probe.
I hooked the little transponder up on the number one injection line close to the injector after sanding and cleaning the injection line. Then I hooked the red wire up to power source and the black wire with the clamp I just grounded it to the injection line clean spot.
All I can see to do now is to start the engine turn the function switch to the probe position.
Then I understand I should see the RPM display and the degrees display. The degrees say 0 not flashing the RPM shows a 0 that scans across the little screen.
How long should it take four of the RPM to show up? And I wonder why the degrees read 0?
If you need any pictures or some kind of attached file I can do that just not sure what you all might need thank you for any help
You will want to clamp the - wire directly to your battery ground post, rather than relying to the ground traveling thru the injector line.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online