Replacing rear tank. Advice requested

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not that strong.
Trailers are pulled from the bumper or a receiver hitch, or frame mounted gooseneck.
I guess a 5th wheel bolts to the bed, but...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

batchman

Reaction score
Gas tanks are usually galvanized and diesel fuel will eat that.

Anyone know if any of the larger tanks can fit the rear location and still allow a dually spare? I've got to pull mine (leaks at top) and could really use more capacity - I see 25 and ~32 gallon plastic ones but again I need to keep my spare there.

Cheers,
- Jeff

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
youre stuck with the stock tank if you are tryin to keep your spare in the stock location.

I would advise changing to superduty bolts and frame mounted nuts, makes things a lot easier

ive been using a galvy gas tank with the sender modified for a few years, zero issues so far.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is not a dually however with plastic 20 gal rear tank, it allows normal (factory) size spare.

batchman

Reaction score
ive been using a galvy gas tank with the sender modified for a few years, zero issues so far.

Interesting - not what I've been told but really good to know. Gives me some thinking to do. Shortly before retiring my Bronco I put in a fresh 36 gallon gas tank. That would sure help my range problem, but would kick the spare to the trailer. It's pulling the trailer that I bought this to do, but I've (of course) found other uses. Question becomes, do I feel lucky...

Mine is not a dually however with plastic 20 gal rear tank, it allows normal (factory) size spare.

Good to hear, thanks. Since I tend to keep things forever, a plastic tank would be a "once and done".

Thanks/later,
- Jeff

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, do ya, punk!? lol had to...
arnt all of the steel tanks the factory installed galvanized?
my preferred method is building a stainless tank, but that can get expensive.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just installed an f26e today.

I still need to solder the pickup tube extension on.

Went in pretty easy considering I had the bed off.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^I like. Really should do that since I deleted the front tank already. How many gallons does it give you?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ that's a 38 gallon tank from a bronco.
this kit is awesome, it comes with brass tube to extend your pick up, and the spacers and washers necessary to install it.
I have had a hard time finding a sender for it tho.
@cpdenton are you using your existing sender?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the factory sending unit. Soldered one of the copper extensions on the pickup line where the shower head goes. Cut 1 inch off the copper and put the shower head back and it sits flat on the bottom of the tank directly in the little sump.

For the gauge, I took the wire off the sending unit and replaced it with a longer piece of coat hanger bent up into the right shape to go empty to full. I will grab some pictures later.

I bent it up with a piece of copper wire first as a template because it is easier to work with and then copied it over to the steel wire.

Masami

Reaction score
On-road and licensed. I'll use it in the spring as a back up to my 03 7.3 race car tow beast. Right now, I'm moving and have a ton to do. So just replace with appropriate bolts, OK. What is the difference between diesel and gas tanks and where can I buy the in tank sending unit??

No difference between gas and diesel tanks of the appropriate year. There was a change in diameter of the fuel sensor unit hole in the tank around 1988. The 1988 and newer have the larger sensor hole. However, gas and diesel fuel sensor units are different. The diesel unit is a two wire unit and the gas ones have four wires. People have been swapping the gas fuel tanks into diesels for years. A popular one is the 38 gallon tank for a 1988 F-250 351 for the 19 gallon stock rear tank. Spectra Premium F26E available from Rockauto online and Amazon. Brazing wire works fine to extend the swing of the tank float.

Diesel fuel sensor units are usually a Ford item at around $450 list, but you can find them much cheaper at the online Ford parts dealers. You have to call since the sensors are not listed. Also Isspro is supposed to sell an aftermarket replacement unit cheaper, Isspro is a top quality guage manufacturer. This is apparently a special order item.

Contact Mike Pliska at Isspro, he's an engineer who develops this stuff. worked with a vendor on this item and can supply contact information for the vendor who goes under the online name of CSIPSD.

If you have a pickup dually, they have the same frame spacing that the single rear trucks have, if its a cab and chassis truck then the frame is narrower and the pickup tanks don't fit.

Last edited:

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get that illustration. I couldn't find it on LMC. Also, what is the difference, specifically, between diesel and gas tanks?

My tank used to be a gas tank and now it is a diesel tank. You ask how did that happen? I replaced the 460 with a 7.3 IDI. I have two diesels and four gas that run, but I have only one store of plumbing supplies, pumps and senders.

Masami

Reaction score
Also, when my buddy installed the 38 gallon tank, he used longer bolts on the spare tire mount and still wound up with 14" of ground clearance with his F-350 single rear truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86