Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see what youre talking about.
i second on measuring the A pillar.
measure top and bottom gap of rear door.
make sure the door has atleast 1/4" gap on both sides.
it also may be that the B pillar is a RCH too short.

not too bad IMO, its all down hill from here!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got somewhere. Ended up doing a smaller cut. Im about halfway done welding everything in place. All doors seeam to line up good all measuremnts in windshield are are good. Figure by next weekend shoild be close to completetion.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gosh darn it,
didnt you know im the only one thats certified in owning multi colored vehicles? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pillar close up. The flux isnt the bes tbut its not the worst. Well see how it performs on the actual roof. IM putting in an hour before work this whole week well see how far i can get before the weekend.

Fender fits meh. but ti was all bashed in so im assuming it shrunk a bit. Need to cut out the inner skin a bit to get access to beat it out. Its a rust free new replacement i got with the truck 4 years ago. Rather beat the metal and do some shaping on it (gives me anexcuse to purchase body hammers, always wanted to see how those shrinking hammers work) and keep it rust free)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you want to spend your time, after market replacements can be had for about $100 shipped if you shop around. Just FYI. I little grinder love and that will be fine. Won't really show there anyway.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front door ends up wanting to hit the roof area when closing it with the hinges tightened down. I knew this woudl happen becuase no matter that i tried to the the A pillar relatively in line in a vertical plane and have the cowl/windshield area measure out properly it would lay 2 degrees inwards vs beign 90 like the toher side. I might just need to have to shim the upper hinge out an 1/8" or so and should be ok. So, not happy but eff it...Shell see a 1979 cab on her one day soon enough anyhow..As long as the windshield seals ill be cool.

Speaking of windshields, im picking on up for 50$ this weekend.

What is the good urethane to use and where can i buy it? DO i need 1 or two tubes of it?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you tried adjusting the hinge to the door?
should beable to move it out slightly.
lots of adjusting in them things!

i would grab 2 tubes. having too much is alot better than not having enough!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm as in on the actual door itself? I have not, good idea! Because the door itself actually sits inside the frame quite nicely when its not bolted down.

Can you recommend a good window urethane? Or just any black urethane from home depot?

for putting the glass in, think those orange suction cups from harbor freight are good enough to install the windshield with?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of adjustment in the hinges. You would be surprised. I would get the windshield stuff. NAPA probably has it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x2 on stuff for windsheilds.
get the correct stuff, even if it costs as much as a windsheild...

i find it easier and about the same price (if you include your time) to just pay a glass company to come and do it.
220 bucks, youre only paying 80 or so for them to install it.
plus, the trim is a PITA

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Safe lite out here will be doing mine. I think it was $150 for them to replace it if I take it to them. I can't do it for that. Especially by myself.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup just called around..166 tax in installed. but the whole thing was me gettign some glass to mock up make sure everythign is ok. but...if it looks visually ok and it measures out right then should be alright
a guy got me measurements of the glass out of the truck so i will double check my measurements today and confirm

i just have to drive it to belle tire 25 miles one way...with no windshield...and its gunna be cold as **** next weekend...
Same price for them to come to me but needs to be above 35F or be in heated garage i Have neither.
I have to replecate the spacing of the upper trim clips and the lower ones too because the donor cab was all rusted out there.

figure should be all good to go with inteior all back in for next weekend. Tomorrow morning work on the inside forewall/cowl and weld that up, friday morning get the roof skin on and tacked, then ready for re assembly! woo

this will be me.