Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good news from all this is: it forced me to pull my dash and I can replace the floor/deforst vacuum motor because the arm broke off my old one, robbed the whole box from the donor cab. I will have floor heat finally!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice work. make sure to take lots of breaks, stand back and look, measure and take in the essence of the build lol

pafixitman

Reaction score
Nothing to it but to do it!

Here is the really odd thing about this, Brian's, Mike's, Jared's builds etc - I can gut a bathroom, kitchen, rip out a sub floor, punch a big a$$ hole in a roof or wall and not think twice. But I would have such a hard time making the first cut in a truck! I guess it has to do with confidence in your skill set.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^i second that.

but basicaly..aint nothign to it but to do it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case I claim blind stupidty.

LOL

laser one more measurement request please.
The front part of the door at the weatherstrip rail on the A pillar. bottom middle top please and thank you. Im having a hell of a time lining my clip up adequately. I think I need to ficus on one joint at a time. make sure the A is set properly then move on to the B then focus ont he cowl.

These are the measurements i need aross the cab:

You must be registered for see images attach

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
In my case I claim blind stupidty.

LOL
Nailed it! All the smaller fix it jobs were leading up to my bigger build. I don't really claim to know what I am doing but have drooled over other builds for years and decided to just go for it!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nothing to it but to do it!

Here is the really odd thing about this, Brian's, Mike's, Jared's builds etc - I can gut a bathroom, kitchen, rip out a sub floor, punch a big a$$ hole in a roof or wall and not think twice. But I would have such a hard time making the first cut in a truck! I guess it has to do with confidence in your skill set.
Don't worry I am still working a basement refinishing and adding a I beam under my kitchen in the background LOL.

Sorry for the mini hi jack Greg. Been enjoying the progress you made so far!
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Definitely get one point lined up well. Tach it or screw it in. Then move to the next. You may have to refit stuff you've done, but you'll start stiffening up the panel as you go. Then only have part of it moving around vs all of it.

Also I would put weather stirpping and stuff back in before final welding for testing. I've welded stuff up fully to find out a pinch weld is off. Or the door closes hard. Weather stripping can move stuff more than you think.

I like your cut your planning to put in!!! Keep us updated! Looking great!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg, I think I can get the middle and maybe the top but I think the trans tunnel will be in the way at the bottom. I'll check though.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are probably right, didnt think of that. Just as low as you can to get a straight line. THe masking tape you put up was a huge help as well.
I got really frustrated last night and this morning working on it as the measuremtns for the A and B pillar wernre lining up, the cowl has a 2" gap in it, i dont knwo what i did wrong the cuts were made perfect. But i think i was trying too many thigns at once, trying to line it all up in one shot. and i cant do that, ahve to focus on one point at a time.

But i do think the A and B have to go hand in hand. it seems the rear part past the B pillar wants to hang too low and doenst form a straigth line with the C pillar drip rail. Probably something is twisted up. Im going to pin the A pillar down, then put the doors on for mock up so i can see the relative gap around the door/floor/roof.

damn photbucket is down for maintenance, cant upload my pics!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a couple measurements. When photobucket decides to cooperate I'll put up a pic. Basically here's the gist of it. From the door switch for the dome light (that height) is 67". Can't really get a straight line lower than that. At the lower dash mount bolt on the drivers side and as level across as my eyeball is gives me 66.75". I also grabbed one at about the level of the top of the drivers instrument cluster across. It's 64". That lip is a little wavy on my truck on both sides so there is a little eyeballing to those numbers but it ought to help you rough it in.

Here's the pic.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope these work.
Ill be back in the shop on sunday morning hopefully get this ***** welded up.
i think mocking the doors up will be best way to make sure everything is good.

You can see thenissue at the rear door drip rail how they cave in together. I know the c pillar roof twisted up when i cut the roof off but even when i twist it by hand doesnt seem like it wants to line up exactly. The rocker to b pillar door pin is the right hieght compared to the other side soo..not sure

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the A pillar is too long. Compare other side from rocker to drip rail. If the door fits then the A pillar should be correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08