IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easer to fill a dip than hide a ridge.

2 liberals 1 round!
or 2 birds one stone!
whatever analogy you gotta tell yourself lol

definitely the glass filer. like i said previously, it also seals.

Greg, go get a bottle for that mig, itll make it easier on ya, welding and grinding!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When butt jointing panels I'll cut them long. And if they are thin enough to overlap I'll then run a thin cut off wheel through both panels leaving a .06" gap between them to put weld in for butt welding. The cuts match pretty darn near perfect this way. And yeah You'll probably end up with a slight depression that will take some filler to bring level.

On thicker panels or areas with structure I'll rough cut it 1/4" or so long. then use the grinder and small cut off wheel to bring it in close. Typically I want my fitup to be slightly long vs slightly short. Easier to run a cutooff wheel back through a long area and shorten it up than add metal back in a short area to lengthen it out.

I like IDIOT's cuts on the roof to peal the skin. That's probably how I would do it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 liberals 1 round!
or 2 birds one stone!
whatever analogy you gotta tell yourself lol

definitely the glass filer. like i said previously, it also seals.

Greg, go get a bottle for that mig, itll make it easier on ya, welding and grinding!

You can also run a little smaller wire with a bottle instead of the flux core. I prefer the smaller (0.024") wire on the body metal just because I'm not a welder and there is a little more margin for error (aka blow through).

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT!!! FLUX CORE AND GAS MIG WELDING REQUIRES DIFFERENT POLARITY!

if you do switch to gas on your mig, make sure you switch the polarity of the ground!

flux core ground is actually +, and the wire is grounded

gas welding needs a negative ground!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill call praxair see hat kind of mig gasses and bottles they have. Talking some money here though as Id like to just buy one vs renting it..
Im running a high quality desireable HF 240V unit. Id have to get hoses and regulator to run all this.
Well see how my flux work goes. Ive gotten pretty darn good at it as its all ive had.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
once you go gas, you will never regret it.
i started out welding with fluxcore also, and it does work.
but you will be amazed how it does once you switch.
the down side is that it does cost some coin for the bottle, line and regulator.
and you gotta remember to turn your bottle off LOL
after the initial expense, filling my 123SF bottle only cost about 70 bucks, and last me 3 months.

EDIT: yes i keep preaching gas, but when you finally bite the bullet and get it... you will understand why.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Go Gas. See if they have a 92/8% mix (argon/co2) instead of the average 75/25. Less spatter that way.

Oh and by the way, @IDIoit , we never shut our bottles off. We have leak-free gas systems..... LOL LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Go Gas. See if they have a 92/8% mix (argon/co2) instead of the average 75/25. Less spatter that way.

Oh and by the way, @IDIoit , we never shut our bottles off. We have leak-free gas systems..... LOL LOL
that you write off on your taxes, us garage fab guys cant do that....
wait... the government does not care if a ceramic shop uses C02/Ar LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is pretty good. I had a gauge leaking on my regulator. Fixed that an it will hold the head pressure with the valve off for days.

I went the tractor supply route. Yes it is a little more expensive. You basically have to buy a cylinder the first time so figure $300-350 but I can exchange it on Saturday evening or Sunday which is when I'm likely to run out. Won't do that at most gas places. You can also get the smaller bottles from Amazon. An 80 CF bottle filled is like 250$ shipped. Fill will be $40 or so at your local place. I think the 80 cf bottles at most places run about $200 with the first fill. Most places will only lease you a K bottle so you are stuck with smaller cylinders for the most part if you want to buy. I've had my welder for going on 3 years I think and I have exchanged maybe 4 times with the 125 cf bottle.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the gas MIG switch.
+1 on the thin wire.
+1 on the fiberglass filler/sealer

Don't mess with it, do it once and do it right and be done with it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We check welder gas leaks at work by putting a balloon on the end of the lead. Balloon fills you got a leak. I turn my tanks off though. Sucks to find out your out when you go to use it. And i'm not in the shop every day.

If you can swing it the gas will make a big difference. Also .023 wire will be a good move for sheet metal.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welded flux...loved it...compared to NO welder...welded with gas....again loved it compared.to flux :rotflmao

Still love stick though....really love stick but weld more thick than thin stuff

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew it! some come along action and shes almsot back to normal. My buddy at first wasnt having it last weekend when we picked up the clip, but this weekend hes liek you knw...why dont we try pulling it. Yup worked like a charm on the B pillar. Tension and BFH. I have not made any measurements yet its all jsut eyeballing. I will probably cut the a pillar and top part of the roof skin though. I was able to pull the firewall back a little bit and it seems the windshield (at least the laminate inside) seems to be laying pretty decent so far. Hard to tell. But i also dont want to spend 50$ on a windhsield just to use as a visual guide...I dont quite trust myself putting a windshield in for it to seal...but...I might. What is good sealant to use for it?

You must be registered for see images attach

how its sitting now. Main thing ws to get the B and bottom part of A/firewall lined up decently so have a straigth base to weld to.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pic with teh red door on is before we pulled straight on the A pillar again. THe gap is almost perfect along the door to a pillar area now. The roof is a bit popped out, figure woudl porbably best for all sealing surfaces and aesthetics to jsut replace the panel.