ATS 093 leaky slip joint repair

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright folks, here’s the CAD drawings for the slip coupling repair that I designed. This is offered free for anyone to use however they wish. Make them for yourself or make them to sell. Up to you.

The only dimensional change I recommend is to increase the OD of the female part. At only 1/8” thick, I did encounter some minor out of round distortion from the welding. The added thickness near the firewall shouldn’t be enough to cause interference.

As mentioned before, stainless steel may cause galling, so don’t be afraid to try steel on this. Either material should last longer than the original casting.

I’ll reach out to the same machine shop to see what a larger volume may cost but I have my doubts that it will be too much cheaper by the dozen. Feel free to shop around in your area as well.

Attachments

• Female Coupling.pdf
    364.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Male Coupling.pdf
    379.5 KB · Views: 9

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing. The machinist told me at the time that the ideal interference was about 0.001”. I originally asked for 0.003” but I’m glad he suggested less.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Well, it's been 1.5 years since this repair and it still seems to be holding up. I just got another note from someone interested in getting a set of rings machined.

So real question here: How many of you are interested?

My one-off cost for the parts was about $300CAD but it could probably come down with larger and/or changing the material to steel.
Do you have a machining quote from a US based machine shop? My company's machine shop is a little light on work and may be interested in quoting an order of these.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a machining quote from a US based machine shop? My company's machine shop is a little light on work and may be interested in quoting an order of these.
No I do not, but since most of the I members here are in the states, it makes sense to make them down there. Although having said that, I doubt a small order like this will attract too much excitement from most shops. My plan is to quote ten sets locally to get an idea for cost.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
No I do not, but since most of the I members here are in the states, it makes sense to make them down there. Although having said that, I doubt a small order like this will attract too much excitement from most shops. My plan is to quote ten sets locally to get an idea for cost.
Yeah im having my machine shop manager take a look at it and see if its something they would be interested in turning up when our volume is kind of low in the shop. Also - Increasing the female coupling OD to 3" per your suggesting would bring it in line with off-the-shelf stock which will reduce the cost somewhat since the machinist wouldnt even have to touch it