Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
started driving it again on wednesday :D
wife painted the doors and fender for me, still ahve to do the roof but its good enough for now :D
jus tin time for the storm
this is probabaly my favourite angle of the truck

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wohohoho, last post from feb?!

shes been doing some miles with me, pretty much ben driving it every day since i got it fixed. Still no interior in it though :p, the lack of NASA bright LEDs oinside makes night getting in and out hard!,
resealed the cab lights no leaks, now its getting AC (pulled an entire sealed ysstem from a 91 parts truck for 200 bucks!), and added a truck crane, which the cable winch will be getting replaced with an electric remote controlled 2500# atv winch.

Real wish my odometer worked, thing is creeping up close to 400k miles now im sure. I bought it 4 years ago with 320k miles.

moved CAC pipe from behind the fuel filter to go direcetly over it to make room for the dryer.

just love the look of this truck. Im probably going to paint the CAC and PS cooler black, and probably hide the PS cooler a little bit, make it look more uniform.

1/4" 10"x20" plate underneath that sandwiches 3 planks fo the white oak and is also welded on either side to the metal C channel cross rails. Will be adding a brace to tie in the upper part of the post into the back rack to take some bending stress out of the base. Probably remake the boom as well, flimsiest looking part of this whole unit.
Main purpose is to be able to pick up logs and self load onto the bed. Will invest in a set of quality hooks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch those atv winches. They are slow to start and stop. Something you may not want for a crane. Glad you are enjoying driving it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting. Ill have to play around with that once its on. Figure the remote would be nice since I could be on the ground beside the load balancing it and keeping the crane from swinging around, and then remotely winch it up.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of the HF 2500 # winches that I use to move the trucks around. It works okay but it's like it has a set length of time it runs per button push no matter if you just tap it or hold it a little longer. Of course you can just hold it down and it will go. But just peck the button and it will wind way longer than you held the button. Someone here warned me about that and they were absolutely right. I was thinking about it for the gantry crane instead of the electric hoist. No way it would have been controlled enough for that.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^damn, that is stupid! running for a X amount of seconds when just tapping the button. Wonder if that can be modded somehow..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys normally see with your water temp gauges? Running 75-80 mph 650-700 on the pyro I am seeing water temps of about 195 to 200. Sometimes creeping through traffic it will inch up to 200, and then will go down to 190 on its own. I never hear the fan but i do feel it spinning with the hood open, so Im assuming its no where near locking up.
Im just wondering how the thermostat works. Its an OEM ford one, new.
What is its fully open position?

ah, some google searching came up with garys old post:
"They need to start to open at 192 degrees =/-5 degrees/ They are fully open at 212 degrees. Full open sleeve travel must be 0.26 inches"

so I got nothing to worry about, thing is only halfway open. I know in the winter it wouldnt get above 190 but thats..well, winter.

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Warmest mine has been woke driving was this past weekend. Cruise set at 65 on a 90*+ day in a strong head wind. Got to, I'm guessing 212* (almost 215*) and then settled back down around 200* and a little less once back out on the flats.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC works and all. yesterday was about 85. I had 38psi cold side 170 psi hot side. Was alsot probably 90-95% humidity outside.
Have a small vac leak sumwhere if the electric vac pump isnt running it will default to defrost over the course of a minute of it not running. Truck has no roof insulation/interior so it doesnt stay very cold in the cab. But the air is definitely ice cold out the vents.

Problem is in town. I have a very small leak past the IP at the advance arm/plumnger on driver side. I mean-its tiny, but its enough that there is fresh skim coat of diesel on the intake valley. This raw diesel smell gets sucked into the cab thru the vents when idling...Very much dislike that. SHouldnt it turn the blend door closed when on AC max?
Also have diesel exhaust fumes coming in somehow.. Maybe it is because it is a side exit pipe 3' away from the rear door? There are no leaks upfront at the headers, turbo, or exhaust?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the white vacuum line on the vacuum canister under the hood should activate on max AC recycling the air inside the truck.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the AC to recirc. all is good. Air is...colish, but doesnt freeze me out of the cab. Need to check pressures and actual vent temp with an ambient thermometer to confirm. I couldnt get the friggin hi side pressure line off quick (cheap ass quick latch) and some freon leaked out, wondering if im a little low? It sweats though on that really humid day we had 2 days ago. Maybe its because its a big cab and i have no interior in it? air is defintiyl warmer out the vents when sitting at idle for a while.

picking up a compelte 7.3 IDI with bad rings (guy said it smokes alot and had no power) minus the IP for 100 bucks and a case of bud light this weekend :D
I got a spare IP and lines for it too. Ill keep this in the back of the shop wrapped up. My current engien is fine, but for that kind of price I would be crazy not to get it and keep as a complete or parts spare.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so fnillay measured my air temps.. ac sucks.

80F and 40% humidity outside
out of driver vents 62F. recirc is on.

then i hear this sound after every shut down when ac was running??
i got my 7 oz of mineral oil in it. blue oriface valve.

dont mind the lower frequency hum from the work fuem extractors its the hiss and burbling. *** is that??

i got 3.5 cans f the stuff in here total. was supposed to be 2.5.
No leaks, but i was barely at 100 psi with 2.5 cans in there high side.
buddy from envirosafe i should be seeing 35 low 150-200 hi side.

***??

goign to measure pressures tonight again.
i dont trust this no vacuum filling deal..

PS here is link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUKqT-YXpg0

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's the hiss you're talking about after shutdown, I read it's normal. It's the pressures equalizing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
posted the link now.

could be, high pressure side expanding through the riface valve into low pressure zone.
Still..why air temp so warm!?

I will report back with pressures and temps tonight after work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel