Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, well..the toronto trip aint happening in the truck. I got a large oil leak out the front main area. I hope its just the crank seal and not oil pan. Its pretty significant, enough that the pulley slings it up onto the frame. This kind of leads me to believe its the seal and not the pan itself. It leaks while running only. My passenger valve cover has a decent sized leak too. Maybe it was greasy in that area when i RTVed it. Gotta take the fuel filter off and maybe its bracket too i think.
also i got 3 or 4 injectors that arent seating, can see combustion gasses escaping around it. Again...dont know whats up, new copper washers in the bore, all the old ones came out no prob..gotta pull em to see whats up.
Didnt even touch head and rear section lighting.

But you knwo what, maybe its for the best. I would have slapped everythign together, zip tied a bunch of stuff, and driven it. I got a packed weekend, and last thing i need is the truck breaking down or doing something unexpected. Rather test drive it a bunch around my house before taking it on a big trip...plus I had no front bumper, and i really do have to route my exhaust out somewhere and not just dump it 1 foot before the cab ends.

Hope I dont have to pull the rad which i just filled with fresh coolant to get the bolts holding the alternator and fuel filter bracket off. It sits much closer to the engine in my setup than stock.

Im taking a break from going ******* this thing, no more 4-5 hour everyday after work. i want to spend time with my wife and dog, go to the gym, watch movies. The truckk has taken too much from me!.
And I noticed...after a bunch of measuring before..that my front end is crooked!!! it was fine before, but i guess wen i was welding the supports up it just shifted one of the mounts or something..

I DO know it will look killer once it has a bumper and the rest of the truck is painted grey!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im taking a break from going ******* this thing, no more 4-5 hour everyday after work. i want to spend time with my wife and dog, go to the gym, watch movies. The truckk has taken too much from me!.
And I noticed...after a bunch of measuring before..that my front end is crooked!!! it was fine before, but i guess wen i was welding the supports up it just shifted one of the mounts or something..

good move! breaks are just as important as the build itself. rushing things only leads to mistakes! been there, done that, could have died over it.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I thought it was gonna be a 'redneck' front end.. Not that there is anything wrong with that if it works. But you got it to look really nice. Can't wait to see it with a bumper too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Breaks are. Definitly needed, just like training at the gym.
thanks stealth, i mean..it is redneck. Especially the core support..*** it.. Just want it to be solid and last a while
Thanks to stubborn nut here, i got some killer '34 international emblems to put on it -and i can definitly see it looking awesome with a proper bumper.

Guys, any idea why my injectors arent sealing? New copper washers.. Wondering if maybe the threads were dirty and my torque value wasnt real, so the injevtor isnt actually crushing the washer?

Ima just pop em off anyway and peer down there, see whats up in there.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did the bottom of the bore look like where the copper washers meet the heads? If the head surface was all messed up the coppers ain't gonna seal right. Also I do think the 35lbs-ft on the injectors is a bunch of bull, dang things are barely touching the washers at that torque, especially if the threads in the heads weren't like new ...

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS what is that tool that everyone uses to clean the seats of the bores?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. Also I do think the 35lbs-ft on the injectors is a bunch of bull, dang things are barely touching the washers at that torque, .

glad i wasnt the only one!
i cleaned the seats with a plastic bristle bore brush when i installed mine on a drill w/ pb blaster. or a shotgun bore brush. i wouldnt advise metal tho
then took the shop vac out with the glow plugs out and made sure nothing was down there.
i torqued to 60. the install went as smooth as glass.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tookj mine to a whopping 40 lbs. It felt very light. I will pull em all,m inspect the bores, clean as necessary, and take em down with my 1/2" ratchet. witht he massive torque wrench I dont feel much resistance, at least by hand I can feel when its tight or feels squishy still.

I will check into tjhe front leak sometime next week...maybe. or in 1 weeks time. I need to clean my shop up, Im missing half my sockets all over the place and it makes me rage when i go to get my 15/16 deep well and its gone lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. My shop is a disaster right now. I can't find anything. I hate taking work time to clean up but at some point you either spend time cleaning up or looking for stuff. I can't really comment on injector torques. I haven't changed a set yet but very soon I hope.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, do i NEED to take the fuel filter bracket off to take off hte passenger valve cover? I dont remeber at the moment. and i really dont want to lol.

laser-my situation to the T. Its a catch 22 situation lolol. in the end its better to just take a day to clean up and regroup, just gotta convince the mind to do it lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
laser-my situation to the T. Its a catch 22 situation lolol. in the end its better to just take a day to clean up and regroup, just gotta convince the mind to do it lol

wait till you have teenagers!!!
i looked for my torx bits for an hour and a half yesterday.

went into my sons room yesterday while he was at his mothers, and BAM my torx bits were right there, next to his torn down 50cc 4 stroke engine he's working on!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call these my Shop coming to Jesus moments. Shops so disorganized I spend more time looking for tools then using them. I agree I hate using shop time to clean, but it's a necessary evil.

About 7 years ago i couldn't find anything. All my sockets, wrenches, pliers were scatter around my acreage. I went to every building, garage, house etc. and put all the hand tools I found in a 5 gallon bucket. Once I cleaned out the pliers and screwdrivers I still had 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket full of loose sockets. I've never let it get that bad since! Very close, but not quite.

Trucks looking good, you've been busting ass a break is well deserved.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Passenger valve cover can come off with the filter head in place on NA trucks... not sure how it'll clear with a turbo possibly taking up some wiggle room.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ thank you. No issues iwth turbo clearanc,e jsut gotta pop my IC pipe off, takes 2 seconds.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No prob. I'd recommend the rubber valve cover gaskets... most auto parts stores have them.

If your motor is sitting a little lower than stock it'll be easy. Any higher and a pain... I don't remember that info from earlier in your build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online