Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont understand how you can fit a 6g or so on that tiny little terminal though lol
You are confused. Here's how you should wire it:

1) run your 3/0 (or two 2/0s or whatever) from the battery down to the starter directly, this is your starter's power feed.
2) the starter has two terminals, the one you just used and the trigger for its built-in solenoid - run a 6-gauge cable from said trigger terminal up to one of the BIG posts on your relay on the fender.
3) run another 6-gauge cable from the other BIG post on the relay over to the battery.
4) run a small wire from your "start" pushbutton to the respective SMALL post on the relay.

The way it works is your pushbutton triggers the fender relay, which in its turn sends juice down the 6-gauge cable to trigger the starter's built-in solenoid, which in its turn makes the starter use the 3/0 cable to spin the engine. It's a cascaded relay system, you use small current to trigger a medium-sized relay (in this case the fender relay) to supply the increased trigger juice a high-power relay (in this case the starter solenoid) requires to activate its load circuit. Then the high-power relay (solenoid) powers up its load circuit via its own heavy gauge cabling (the 3/0 from the battery).

Does it make more sense now?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yessir makes sense..i still dont see how a 6 gaige wire fits on that tiny little S terminal on the starter solenoid itself. I mean..the stud is tiny..takes a lil 8mm wrench to take the nut off.. I dont know where I can get a ring terminal for such a small stud that is for a wire bigger than 14 awg.
how much current flows through there anyhow, do you know?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, are you talking about the solenoid that's built into the starter? With so many people calling the thing on the fender a starter solenoid it's always hard to figure out what they actually mean. So, the trigger stud on the starter is tiny? Then there's no need for 6-gauge cable, 12 should do fine. What starter is that anyways? Ours is IIRC the Mitsu monster, and I don't recall seeing anything that small on it... But yeah, a small stud can't carry lots of current anyways, no point in going overkill on the wire.

Also 14-gauge connectors usually will accept 12-gauge wires, makes for a nice and tight fit. Sticking 12-gauge into them yellow-coded (12-10 awg) ones is loose as heck, I often end up stripping the wire double-length and then folding it over so it doesn't have as much slack in the connector (not to mention if the wire is folded over and you get the crimp just right the loop ends up on the other side of the crimp and thus there's no way for the wire to ever pull out and the strands will usually break before the connector slides off the end).

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i got a new mitsu oem one. ill just do the 12awg on a 14-16 ring term.
and yes starter solenoid is on starter bosy, fender had the starter relay

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, now you got me intrigued, guess tomorrow I'll crawl under our monster and see what she's got for wiring at the starter...

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it started and fired last night! my glow plug oslenoid is dead. they only work when i jump the posts on it. strange..but ok, new one todya 20- bucks. Just gotta hook up front and rear lights, fuel sending unit wire, egt, boost and oil pressure lines, fill with coolant.
oh and wiper hookup. I salvaged my delay box, just gotta figure what wires go where to the motor. I dont have the OEm plugs, but i found a pic of an OEM setup, so hopefully that wont be too bad.
Add 2 relays, one for headlights and one for my blower motor. I somehow goofed and my CAC piping inferferes with the AC canister..soo, i had to lop it off. I swear it cleared before, but..guess I was wrong. Oh well, heat is more important right now at least. Ill have to get intricate with my bends down the line when i put AC back on this thing.

speaking of coolant, i got 4 jugs for fleetcharge fleetprice pre charged concentrate...its PINK! i thought this stuff was green?? Anyway my block is all drained and ready for the good fresh stuff..but i swore it was green...does have a pink cap tho lol.

Friggin gotta re clearance the inspection cover. i massaged it some but it needs more..still hitting it. I will run it for a bit to get some more witness marks on it to know exactly...or maybe it will self clearance shortly?

didnt get around to changing my block heater or installing coolant filter, but Ill do that after my toronto trip..eventually.

you knwo what cheesed me off, my autometer mechanical water temp probe. The wire on this thing is SO DAMN SHORT! i barely made it to the head port, passing kinda close to the exhaust. argh. im mad at autometer. not to mentioned the cavernous hole for the plug to snake through...should went electric water temp...

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would running some pipe and a 45* bend into that hole help?
i dont know if the coolant in the tube would affect the actual temp thats being read.
what about another water port? i thought the oil cooler had a water port. :dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should ask a mod to rename this thread to the million dollar march lol

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. man i really dont know, and i dont want to know how much I spent on this thing. Well just my rolling chassis alone was close to 4k.
IM sticking to 10k and thats that!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when talking to your woman, im sure you lower that price LOL

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sum cables. still gotta make a nice little pholder that contains the 8 relays and the 8 fuses for aux stuff. Starting to run out of space lol, still trying to keep in mind the coolant filter that iwll be going in that area beside the fuel filter.
i thought i had another littlefuse holder but i dont, so right now i got the glowplugs fused on a 450-amp (i need to get a 200 and a 250) and the alternator will go to a 175a fuse on friday nigth before we leave.

im taking myt whole wiring kit with me, some tools, extra hoses of various size, fire extinguisher, and a spare fuel filter!

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes ISO 280 relays. Not standard Bosch relays. I was wrong, it actually only holds 5 micro or 3 mini relays. I don't know how readily available they are in parts stores but a couple spares in the glove box would take care of that issue.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what i thought. Think I'll stick with the ice cubes, that's what our IDI was converted to, no point in introducing yet another style for no good reason other than space savings...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online