Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will chek my SD box tonight, and take that steering shaft regardless tomorrow.
Ill make the SD shaft work. The old slip on style with the plastic insert in the middle is a crappy design IMO. Ill weld a yoke or whatever the heck it needs on the old steering comumn to make it work.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best, thickest and toughest spray on bed liner available? I would like to do my cab floor in it, and I do not want to use a carpet. In a work rig carpet is just a bad idea.
Hoping it will act as insulation (heat and noise) as well.
Will do the underside in it as well.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grabbed a new booster and MC assembly today. Getting the steering shaft tomorrow to adapt it to my steering column.
bought a torch set, 1100 psi in oxygen tank 1000 psi in acetyle tank, Both tanks are owned, Smith regulators, victor torch, 1 cutting tip, 3 rosebud tips, 2 welding tips and the cart for 350.

I spent 4 hours last night trying to drive out one rivet in the radius arm frame bracket. say $60 an hour, thats$320 in labor..and thats 1 rivet..not even out. orrr spend 350, and get all 14 out in 10 minutes. Wise investment. Plus years and years of future use.
Ill be switching to propane tips and tank when this one runs out though.

You must be registered for see images attach

some freebies

new fave tool

back room of garage. have my fullsize truck tool box in the right corner out of the frame which I use as my table lol

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pickjed up some more boost couplers and bands, and bought that steering shaft as well. Ill cut and grind my current steering shaft if neccesary to make this one fit and use a double redundant system, basicaly and inner and outer sleeve that is bolted together. I dont actually know untill I see my column sitting out. I have a spare one at my parents house I will grab in a few weeks for mock up.

Also after a late night searching, I have dropped the recentered H1 wheel idea. Here is why:
1) the guy has been taking 2 weeks to give me a quote on wheels, tires, mount balance and shipped. It would take you maybe 10 minutes to get it going. Guess he doesn't need my money.
3)I have been reading alot about those MTRs. they are damn heavy, and most people say they are not that good in the snow. Which is to be expected-it IS a mud terrain tire after all.
Altough..I would like a tire that will last me 50k miles.

So what Im pretty decided on is Black Rock wheels 997, 8x170, 4.5" back space, 17", 9" wide. 3650# capacity.
Tires: Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx\

id consider intero truxxus MTs but theyre about 100 bucks more a tire. Although people say they love them in the snow.
Wonder if i just added extra siping to the Coopers would they perform similarly?

hows the sidewall stability between the two?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice torch set...good deal and ya, you may find you use MORE O2 in all likely hood with propane that acetylene....takes longer to heat things for example.

I'd suggest you stick with the setup as is. Ya ya I know, propane is cheaper ......heard it used it lots and lots and for small home shop it's not the way to go, IMHO, I've used propane when I was a scrap metal processor it's looong in tooth and when cutting 6+ hours a day it makes sense. At home I use acetylene...plus works better for welding too I find!

JM2CW on that...

Keep the project going though and that torch will do just that for sure. Plus you can take to yard and use it.

Find a compressed air and water type fire extinguisher about 3 - 5 gallons, 30" tall bout 8-10" around...usually chrome with a hose...I use mine when cutting all the time can take it with me...works awesome cool stuff down...and as an extinguisher of all things ;Poke. I'll try get a pic for ya so you know what I mean.

Good luck with gas axe have fun and stay safe!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool. I got 1500 psi in that big acetyle tank left so ill be using it for a whiiiiillleee.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I met a guy of pirAte 4x4 who bought my dually adapters, lives on the wear side of MI. he didnt acrually do anything but he gave me the best idea to date. He recently picked up a MINT cab m chassis 05 frame for like 850. I thought these frames are 3k plus.
Soo i get on car-part and find a cclb pickup frane from an 06 for 660 bucks 60 miles away in lansing! woot!! everythibg will e literaly a bolt in affair. Getting a bigger stronger frame, cleaner too. Just gunna wire weel it and paint it and make a rolling chassis in my garage, then when it comes time to move, load it onto a uhaul trailer. might have to move the cab mounts around.

I gotta measure where my the engine sits relative to the firewall or axle centerline and compare with bew frame.
I hate how half the engine is inside the cab on the newer ones. Is it just a different cab style?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit of caution. A 1990 reg cab long bed will JUST fit on a uhaul car trailer. I mean there is not an inch to spare.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my mind up if I could get the ramps up I was taking it. Only going a few miles on back roads.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Laser!/

So I called my yard...god i love them..5-600 for a frame, BINGO! can get a deal othru my work for a flatbed to tow the frame home for me. Get em to toss in the rear leaf springs and hopefully ther eis a nice diesel tank attached to it. I know the truck I was looking at has an OEm hitch as well which would probably come with the frame. Just need em to find me the U bolts and I got literaly everything I need to make a complete rolling chassis. Paint the frame in my backyard, run all the hard fuel and brake lines, power lines to the rear for my hydraulic lift gate, trailer brakes etc. Then use my neighbors dolley to haul the whole thing to my new house!.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Laser!/

So I called my yard...god i love them..5-600 for a frame, BINGO! can get a deal othru my work for a flatbed to tow the frame home for me. Get em to toss in the rear leaf springs and hopefully ther eis a nice diesel tank attached to it. I know the truck I was looking at has an OEm hitch as well which would probably come with the frame. Just need em to find me the U bolts and I got literaly everything I need to make a complete rolling chassis. Paint the frame in my backyard, run all the hard fuel and brake lines, power lines to the rear for my hydraulic lift gate, trailer brakes etc. Then use my neighbors dolley to haul the whole thing to my new house!.

So let me get this correct, you are taking a newer SD frame, and axles, and installing a IDI and trans, then making mounts for the cab of an OBS or older cab and box and installing all that onto the SD frame?

Sounds like one heck of an idea. I like this, newer tougher frame, old school simplistic engine, and a cab you are comfortable with. Just sounds really neat so take tons of pictures to share.

Kinda sorta liking this build, helps me think the one I'm planning through too! Yer kinda inspirational :sly no that's not a tear in my eye :rotflmao.

Well keep up the work, and let me know on those wheels/tyres when you figure it all out.

Laser, next time deflate the front tyres some...chain down u get an inch or two more outta her that way!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey riot, thought I replied to your PM on those military tires. I dindt end upo buying them. Im going with 17" normal people wheels.
Actually, my wheels are going to be in today, and waiting till end of the month to purchase my tires.
$1250 delivered for 4x 37x12.5-17 Cooper S/T MAXX.
88 bucks installed at discount tire.

And yes sir, tha tis the plan. All 05 SD frame and axles, old school IDI with HX35 turbo, ZF5 and NP205. Love the old body style and dont mind that mine is beat up, simply because its a work rig, i throw nasty oil 400 lb axles around in it, haul tree stumps, firewood, brick, concrete, tow, drive thru salt and slush etc. Cab will be lizard skinned or similar, no carpet, just a durable rubberized coating. I hate the new trucks with all the leather, power options, massive bulky center consoles and huge, massive plastic dashes.

Everythign is bare bones dead nuts simple. Brakes and fuel all flex lines going up to the MC and fuel inlets, for easy disassembly and service. All wires through the firewall on milspec bulkhead connectors.
1 connector for permanant stuff like ignition, hyeadlights, running lights etc, and another connector for acceorries like liftgate, winch, compressors etc. All wiring will be labeled and loomed, with easy connectors to the switches as well. All switches will be tied in with circuit breakers.

Figured positioning cab mounts is way quicker and easier than fabbing new brackets for the new SD steering boix, trac bar mounting, drilling a billion holes for the 4x4 stuff, and I can do it all over the next few weeks while im still at my rental house, so I can have it complete ready to go, and then just put the cab mounts where I need em when i pull the cab off the old frame.

Might try selling my entire old rolling frame, or make a trailer out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online