MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most likely, realistically screwed!
but atleast he didnt have to swap a damn cummins in it lol

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah...i dont even know/want to know ho wmuch i spent on it...im hoping im 10k or under for the whole deal. 10k is good IMO for something fully built. I plan on putting 10k into my foxbody to have it done exactly the way I want. Still a bargain considering the cost of new cars, and having something one off and unique is super cool.

Had a buddy on another forum say it resembles some mad max stuff too, cool! Ill have the grill finished tonight, and start making the mounting studs and tabs. once thats done, cut up some sheet to make the headlamp boxes. Then pull it all apart and paint

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought I'd have 10k in mine all in too.... :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Unless I sell every remaining part at top dollar and scrap goes to $5 a pound... I don't think I'll make that.

You are in the home stretch now. Bring it in to close. ;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap its uglier than I imagined. Well, at least no one will want to steal it!
Too cold to work on it tonight. Tomorrow going to bolt up the hood latch to see where im at. I also didnt realize wqith the grill being like this, will be kind of hard opening the hood..ill make it work somehow.
I also need to shift the entire front core support to the left as its not straight yet. Also think I goofed and made it a tooouch too wide and the corner lights hit it. Might cut it out a bit to shav eit down, and the corner will most likely attach directly to the grill as well. Definitly ytaking longer than exp-ected. as always
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you cannot base your decision of appearance without a bumper.
i think it has potential.
at first i thought "what the hell is greg doing!??!?"
but i realized it only looks odd because its incomplete.
i think with the right bumper, it will look tough!

i also would have used .5 x .5 but you know whats great about this,
you can always modify it! half by could also be molded around the turn lights also.

with the grille post i put on the board yesterday, and your post just now, im pretty sure i will be making my own as well.
i want the perferated metal of a different style tho.

try flipping the grille backwards and see how it looks.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to install a badass IH badge on a hindge to access the 2nd hood release!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^hinge logo would be badass!

perf metal: wanted that but the max open area i saw form mcmaster carr was 63% open. May not be enough air flow for the summer.
Flipping is no go since the ousides are angled, and it looks ugly with the mesh being welded behind there. I mean its ugly, but I really like it haha. With the lights it will look cool, and a bad ass deer basher bumper to finish off the look.

i did consider the .5x.5 and bought a bunch but i think it was too dinky for something this size and p[otentally flimsy. i am using it to form under the turn signal and finish the final side guard.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^hinge logo would be badass!
Flipping is no go since the ousides are angled, and it looks ugly with the mesh being welded behind there. I mean its ugly, but I really like it haha.

do it! just to see how it looks, and imagine it with some angle to cover the welds.

it matters not what other people think, as long as you like it.
and if someone talks **** :kick:

half x is flimsy, but moldable, and with enough of it, it can be strong.
ive done alot of fake firewalls in some custom cars with it, works awesome, and most of the time you dont need heat to bend it.

keep us updated..
i just purchased this off e-bay, i may cut the IH out, reinforce it and do the same on the 2nd latch, if i cant figgure out a way to access it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IH-internat...329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f2c6a979

if i dont use it, i got another plate for my license plate wall!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement until you finish it but if you are looking for that beat it through the alaskan bush look, I think you are headed in the right direction. :dunno

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some lights and a bumper on there and see what you think. You have a lot of expanded metal showing currently, but that will go down a lot once you get the lights and bumper on. Also the bumper will be in a different plane and add mass making the front look more substantial.

I myself am a fan of heavy duty bumpers / front end replacements. As you can see.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement until you finish it but if you are looking for that beat it through the alaskan bush look, I think you are headed in the right direction. :dunno

heh those alaskan bush trucks are wicked!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picked up my front driveshaft today, this one has a tapped rear flange, old one was just drilled, my front output tcase flange is tapped, so hopefully everything lines up ok. Just 1/2" course, going to grab some gr8 bolts from TSC on my way home today. New shaft is ****, brand new double cardon, greasable spicer u joints, lengthened 4" for my application, and balanced.

im scared to put this thing on the scales lol, i really hop i m under 8k lbs (not that it matters here in MI) but id like a decent payload capacity, axle and tire combo is rated for 14.5k lbs.
Also my plans of using my rail style liftgate are no go, as the max distance from ground to rail is 14", yeah...its like 28 right now. and would be silly to limit the trucks offroab ability with these massive poles sticking out the back ready to hang up every time you enter a driveway. I will be looking into a cable style, Tommy gate is i can find one for a great price.
The crane is nice to get things onto the gate, but if i want to move a fridge, stove, anythign bulky, the crane wont do it, and with a bed height of 4 something feet..lifting it aint going to be as easy.

today, i will cut the healight pockets otu and hopefully make them as well, weld em into the grill. goign to start makcing the brackets to mount th egrill, and finish up the core support. With some luck, i might be able to have the grill hung permenantly today. That is untill i have to take it off and the core support to paint it.

also, this week im picking up an 07 5.3 LS, compelte with ECU for 350 bucks :D
Plan is to stuff that into my 93 notch stang, wide fender flares, 04 cobra IRS, coilovers, t56, redline around 7500, throttle response is name of the game, nice cam, 400 horse+ at the tires.

going to grab me a PVH solenoid off a SD truck so I can have the locking hubs without getting out of the truck. Only thing im scared of is the hubs staying locked in. If i dont use the switch, its just regular manual locks.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need to revise the light setting. goign to reverse mount them behidn the groill so they dont protrude as much. need ot fix my plasma so i can cut a nice large hole out jsut a tad bigger than the trim ring.
(hood it popped up in this position)

turbo is finally fully on. just need to squeeze that massive snap ring back in place. but the feed and drian are snug, turbo flange is snug.
front end is welded up and the grill has its final resting position, jsut need to make mountign tabs. the healdights are definitly time consuming and irritating to make nicely.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel