Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was gonna say,
ive used alot of half x half! lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice! that would have come in handy a while ago on some other projects for bracing as you used it.

well my guy ordered me some of that .5x.5, and will have it ready todya for me for pickup!
as cheap as it is, i dont mind spending moeny on metal stock. always come sin handy

i need a drill press. hand drilling 25 mounting brackets for the grill is going to suck!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice! that would have come in handy a while ago on some other projects for bracing as you used it.

well my guy ordered me some of that .5x.5, and will have it ready todya for me for pickup!
as cheap as it is, i dont mind spending moeny on metal stock. always come sin handy

i need a drill press. hand drilling 25 mounting brackets for the grill is going to suck!

yes sir it is! lol
you need a drill press STAT!
come on over, ill let you use mine! lol

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That one is decent with 1/8" thick metal. Run it slow and oil the bit/metal.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot about HF, but I kind of want to spend a bit more money and get something more quality. the TSC ones seem pretty nice actually.

how does the small one handle something like 3/16 or 1/2" thick? is 750 rpm slow enough for this with larger bits?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run my enco at 250 rpms at all times.
1/16" to 3.5" hole saw.
the larger the bit, the slower you want to go
#1 killer of drill bits = too fast and burning them up
i looked at that press and just like harbor freight, they dont tell you what you need to know.
like CHUCK SIZE!!!
if it does not use a R8 collet, FAHGETABOUTIT!

you can see my enco in the background of the pic i posted this morning.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Machinery snob. You don't have to have R8 collets but it sure is nice. Speed is the big thing expecially when doing metal work. Most conventional box store drill presses don't run slow enough. 750 is borderline to too fast for say a 1/2" bit IMHO. At that speed its touch down, oil, touchdown, oil (or pecking as its called). And its ******* bits. Its all a big trade matrix. Initial cost vs. tooling cost vs. amount of usage vs. type of usage vs. your time. If I were making a living with it, I'd spend a lot more up front to keep the tooling and other costs down. If I'm using it once in a while at home, I'm probably going to spend less up front and spend more on tooling over time because that's the bigger unknown (who knows how much I will actually use it beyond the current need). That all being said I usually try to push in favor of spending a little more now to get the nicer piece but ultimately the deciding factor usually ends up being what I can afford at the time that will get the job done. What I really want is a real bridgeport or bridgeport style mill. It makes a dandy drill press. :D

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
l bridgeport or bridgeport style mill. It makes a dandy drill press. :D

We have one. It do make a great holemakin' machine. Yes, as was said, 750 is far too fast for even half inch. There should be charts etc available online that give optimum feeds and speeds and stuff. You can also look into annular cutters if you have a lot of bigger holes.... those do run into $$$ real quick there now tho...

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about HF, but I kind of want to spend a bit more money and get something more quality. the TSC ones seem pretty nice actually.

how does the small one handle something like 3/16 or 1/2" thick? is 750 rpm slow enough for this with larger bits?

As the owner of one, I wouldn't use the HF press for anything more than 1/8". 750 on a 1/3 hp motor won't cut it very well.

1/2" aluminum, maybe as long as it's not a gummy allow... 1/2" steel, heck no... I really think it's aimed at carpentry. Plows through 4x4 no problem.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, yeah ill hold out and get a floor drill press with minimum 250 speed. thanks. for my brackets, which are mad eout of 1x1/8 flat stock, ill jsut clamp it to a peice of 2x4 and step drill my 5/16 openings. wont take too long.

i goofed guys. when my supplier was cutting the expanded sheet he asked if i care hwich way, i said no. well now i do care, the diamonds are vertical and im used to them being horizontal! WAHHH. didnt get as much done as i wanted due to a bunch of on the fly design changes but im pretty happy with this one. I still have to make a small section to fully cover the intercooler at the bottom. I will use the .5x.5 to make a surroundfor the headlight box, which will be made fomr 18 gauge sheet. Im using some hella 5.75" round lights, with built in adjusters. Also will be painting the intercooler flat black, and the grill will be sprayed glloss black.

You must be registered for see images attach

Purdy aint she?!:dunno;Really

i didnt get a side shot, but this ap0peals to me as the best configuration, having the entire grill pushed out infront of the hoodline. the intercooler sticks out far enough and slopes back, so if i were to have the grill flush with the hoodline, it would give the truck a weird under bite look, or this budged nose look. This way, looks like it has a fat brow and a thick jaw (when the bumper is on). Also gives me lots of real estate on the bumper to stand on to do work. Im going to keep the bumper relatively sytraigth across the width of the fenders. The pre runner style looks cool with the wheels open, but if i hoit a deer, i want the bumper to take the hit and not mess my friggin steering up by having it his the wheel.

sidenote, but i mounted my line lock for the wfront wheels tright where my washer bottle goes, DOH!

im actually getting married tonight to my wonderful fiance, my parents are coming down for the weekend so no truck work this time around. This is just a state wedding so she can be a legal resident with me here in MI (were both Canadian), still doing our big wedding fall 2016.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel