Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh you're using a factory '06 shaft? Then yeah, sure thing, run it how you have it. The reason why the t-case is desired to be as close to the trans as possible is cause of length of front shaft, it's easier to add carrier bearings as needed to the rear than to the front shaft. But that concern aside, there's no other good reason to shove the t-case into the trans tail - both the intermediate and the rear shafts should be parallel and nearly coaxial anyways, with the only offset between their axis coming from the length of the transfer case, and at the same rate the transfer case should be at the same angle as the transmission to ensure the joints at both ends of both shafts run at the same angles. This does indeed require dropping the case down more the further back you go, which will like you said affect your breakover angle - if the case is simply moved aft but not down that results in the steep rear shaft angle IDIoit mentioned.

Out of pure curiosity, how long are your shafts now?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont recall what the stock 06 rear shaft measures, i also used an 06 front shaft but had to lengthen it 2" to a total of 45 inches in the running position (from trans flange to axle u joint center)

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
downpipe almost done, the hard part at least of snaking it around and down past the firewall. Needs another 8" straight section , then a gradual 90 where it will have a 3" vband, transferring to a 3-4" coupler and flex pipe, then 4" back to the rear tire. I wish i had a tig, this flux welding leaves it looking so nasty. good thing its going to be wrapped! cant quite tell, but there are some funky 3d compound curved goin on in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
75/25 CO2/Argon gas on my mig helps SO MUCH for me. I had a crappy flux core that I cut my teeth on for a few years then picked up a used Miller and have never looked back. With .023 wire I can get down to 22 gauge or so and have it be sound and look good. Did some work on my exhaust a few months ago and still had the .030 wire in and was able to make it work still.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish brother, soon enough. Not having a truck SUCKS. Im out of oxygen on my torches, cant pick up a tank for my 220 welder either, (not to mention i still dont have 220v outlets wired in the shop yet), so it sjust my lil 110 flux. At least i dont have much welding left to do, just the exhaust and trans inspection cover.

I can lay quite a nice bead down with the flux, it just spatters like a **** no matter what settings I use.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Oh I got ya. Haul 1 tank at a time in that Fox body! Safety be damned...

(I'm not condoning this)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most gas places deliver.... Just saying. :D

Looks good. I will have do do a little custom work on my down pipe too to make the Garrett turbo fit. Not terribly looking forward to that other than the fact it means I'm getting close to done.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my own experience, when it comes to welding gases, 92/8 Ar/CO2 is about the best for short-arc welding. It will provide less spatter and a cleaner weld.

We use 95/5 Ar/oxy blends, but we also use primarily Pulse-arc MIG welding, as opposed to short-arc. Whole 'nother epistle there LOL

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the comments guys. Ill be upgrading my equipment in due time. Just need my rig done first!

I know i need my 220 welder going to do the backrack and front bumper. heavy gauge steel needs that heat!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wish brother, soon enough. Not having a truck SUCKS. Im out of oxygen on my torches, cant pick up a tank for my 220 welder either, (not to mention i still dont have 220v outlets wired in the shop yet), so it sjust my lil 110 flux. At least i dont have much welding left to do, just the exhaust and trans inspection cover.

I can lay quite a nice bead down with the flux, it just spatters like a **** no matter what settings I use.

flux core will spatter.
no matter what you do.
2 pieces of advice that i Hope you heed.
it will make your flux core experience sooooooo much better!
and it will only cost you around 10 bucks!!!
i cant believe noone else has mentioned it...
ANTI SPATTER SPRAY!!! the name says it all! it makes the spatter less, and it wont stick to the metal like it does.
also, get some dip tip! both of these things will fit in your lexus:D

also, youre not cleaning the metal enough. you need to throughly clean the coating off the pipe to get you a nice looking weld.
even a flux core can produce decent welds. you just have to use the right stuff!

here is a flux core weld. all i did was take a wire brush to it after i was done.

please do these things! it MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!

almost looks like a gas MIG weld, dont it?

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes yes...tip dip ..NOT CHIP DIP but tip dip and spatter spray are imperative to having decent welds with flux wire.

I've used flux with and without the dip/spray and wouldn't go back to being without it.

Actually spatter spray works for more than MIG BTW....blast of it near yer weld and stick spatter doesn't adhear as good either ;)

Just saying...and agreeing with the above...and yes it can fit in a lexus and is not expensive enough to NOT be using it! STOP RFN and get sum! ;Poke

just sayin..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do use nozzle dip, never knew abotu the spray, goign to get me some after work from the depot! thanks

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys question on BOAT fuel fillers. Are the caps vented if i get a vented filler neck? would be pointless if it wasnt..how would the tank breathe? Im thinking about buying this one:

http://greatlakesskipper.com/triton-1-1-2-inch-diesel-boat-vented-deck-fill# but in stianless steel. Looks like the plastic piece has 3 nubs to stand off from the cap and the star splines engage it? then a center hole drilled in the middle of it...im not quite sure how this work.

any comments?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all my boats have a bung in the tank itself to release tank pressure when being filled.
non vented caps. i see alot of time "out of the water" in my current boats, so this system isnt adviseable.
but my boats are small and gas powered.
besides my new 10M, which ive not sailed yet.
The Warden aka Tim, could better answer this question.
might wanna shoot him a PM
he deals with diesel boats on a regular.