Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic I robbed from somewhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

Two ways you can do it. You can hook it back up normal. To do that, follow the labels.

If you want to bypass the controller, hook a 12v jumper to where it says ignition switch and then where the white wire is touch it to ground. That will turn the plugs on when the wire is grounded as long as it's grounded. That's usually where the push button for ground is.

Connections for the gps are labeled.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, unhook the white wire if you are bypassing the controller and use that post to ground for your "button" which may be you touching it to ground or a button if you have one handy.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried like WD40 or brake cleaner to get mine fired off in the frame with no glow plugs. I was in a heated shop though. I would think 6 hours of block heater, some ether, and maybe a hair dryer or heat gun warming the incoming air and she should pop off. f

Good luck!! These IDI's can be stubborn to fire.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got it started..but no oil pressure, i primed the oil filter, dipstick shows full but im grtting no oil out the back of the block where favtory pressure switch goes. U can hear the lifters ticking...
All i did was reseal the oilpan??

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was there a gasket before? did you install a gasket? did you crush the bottom of the pan moving it around?
how long did you let it run before you shut it off in a panic?
ive crushed the bottom of the pan before where the pick up was stuck to the bottom of the pan, but this was not an IDI

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no gasket, pan appears to be uncrushed, ran 30 sec mayb.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to be aroundthe pickup area, theyre no oil that oozes out from the filter when i unscrew it. and i fodnt prime it before, (i never do, it will fill up in like 20-30src) and it was bone dry when i unscrewed it after the shutdown.
Im off forthe holidays, i am temprarly admiting defeat and will need to tow it to my new place,
When i return i will drain the oil and feel around thru the hole to see whats up with the pickup.
Maybe i bent it while the pan was off?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Afyer im back i will hook a shrader valve to the oil feed line back of the block and try pushin air thru there see if i can hear the air comin out thru bottom of oil pan suction head. maybe somethibg is lodged in there, perhaps some wter got in and turned to ice?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, looking at the pil gallery layout, its pickup, pump, cooler, filter.
And my filter had no oil in it, so its either pickup or plugged inlet ir outlet of cooler.
I did use rtv instead of gaskt cuz they sent me the wrong one...

Anyone know the actual part number of the oil cooler gaskets?
At least mine is easy to acess in this new frame!

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fel-Pro ES-70689 Oil Cooler Mounting Set. The rear header has an oil pressure relief valve that maybe got goobered up with silicone.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Im willing to bet money its the oooler, but ez stuff first
Ill be fretting about this and thecobdition of the cam bearings(on sbf seem to go first before rods ansmains)

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man sorry to hear that. I'd probably reseal that oil cooler and make sure there's no rtv in there. I definitely would do that before pulling the pan.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little jelly in the oil pump before initial start off helps prime the system. Could the pump be the problem?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gear pumps on these things hardly ever wear out, unlike distributor driven eccentric style pumps common to SBF and SBC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online