Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello gents, been a very very hectic holiday season, finally settled into the new house, its wonderful, im getting about 4-6 eggs a day from my chickens which is great! heres a pic of Ol Grey tucked into his new home
You must be registered for see images attach

now the shop is totally packed in the back with my shop equipment, i need to get this enigne fired up so i can move it out and organize the shop. Today im hanging some fluorescent lighting because htyers only like 2 lightbulbs in the whole barn. Stay tuned for the garage build once this truck is done.
tonight im also finally pulling the oil cooler to see whats wrong with it. IM hoping to find a big peice of silicone in one of the main passages...well see.. Im hoping i dont have to pull the end caps off. It does have 2 year old victor reinz rings, but it was a pita getting the caps off.

When i drained the oil befor ehte holidays i did have a decent amount of water still in there, so i thought it was ice that formed aorudnit before. it was above freezing for about 3 days (on the last day i drianed oil), but still dind thave pressure so i am convinced it is the cooler. We shall see tonight! its super cold out, but being in a shop with walls proecting me formt the wind is a huge hiuge help, even though there is no insulation.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the shop! Being out of the wind can make a huge difference.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
...We shall see tonight! its super cold out, but being in a shop with walls proecting me formt the wind is a huge hiuge help, even though there is no insulation.

I can attest to that. Dad's garage is a 24 x 24 corrugated steel building built from old utility poles and a few real 2x4's. This garage has been standing for 50 or 60 years at least, (we've owned the house over 40), it is not 100% weather tight, or 100% wind tight. But, when it is weather like this, 10 INSIDE that garage is much better that 10 OUTSIDE. Dad and I have spent many a hot day in that garage in the summer, and many a cold day in the winter..... but was much happier than being out in the weather. I now have a finished, attached garage, which is nice because the HVAC is out there and it "leaks" so it is warm in the winter, and cool in the summer, which is good and bad, I get a bit concerned when I am playing with a gasoline fuel system, or using heat to get a fastener loose, since I would burn the garage and house down, rather than the garage. I was on the local FD, and saw that very thing happen more than once..... Congrats on the new digs, and having an "inside" to work in..... hers hoping for a big slug of RTV where its doesn't belong!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ill check outthat thread.

Took oil cooler off and tried cranking without it, no oil came out. So its not anything with thr cooler or filter.
The 15w40 is extremely thick. But after 20 seconds of cranking id think something would clme out. I tried pumping some oil into the block thru the orifice, no doce.
Any ideas?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I'd be pulling the pan and oil pump.
Might as well take a gander at the piston squirters while the pan is off.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant see the circuit at te moment, but there is a tee inside the block where it feeds the lifters in the short circuit and from the same port it goes out to the cooler. i reaaalllly want to aboid pulling the pan...means trans, enngine rad etf has to come out..cant be the squirters( when i pulled the pan when resealing it everything looked dandy in there.

so its like: works fine when i parked the truck 4 months ago. Engine sat outside for 1-2weeks. Resealed oilpan, eberyhing looks fine. Now all of a sudden no oil pressure..?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so this is the IDI lube circuit
You must be registered for see images

unlike the powerstroke, the IDI passes all its oil thru the cooler, then into the galleys. the piston squirters are almost last on the list-being fed from the lifter circuit.
So now tha ti took the cooler off-and im getting nothing at the outlet of the pump..its either-pickup tube is blocked (i know its still attached, i drained the oil and tried ot move it but everything nice and tight there)

does anyone know of some lind of liqid i can pour into the outlet of the pump tto hopefully work its way down to the pickup tube and dissolve whatever is in there? maybe some sludge, or ice or..???

edit: i bought some windshield de icer im goign to spray into the hole and see if anythign comes out. then a bunch of brake clean if theyres sludge in there or something.. Is there some kind of liquid you can use to brake up oil sludge readily available at a big box store? I also got some 5w30 oil to run thru the engine.

heres some other things I am thinking it may be, some-unlikely.
-the drive gear sheared off the pump and the pump isnt pumping-unlikely as i had a dribble of oil in the cooler from the output: so the pump works. It either works, or it doesnt.
-blockage on the output side of the pump-unlikely-with 50+ psi anything would shoot out of there
-blockage on the i0ntake side. Most likely the culprit. What it is-I have no idea. Sludge, ice, banana peel...who knows. If backflushing doesnt do anything I will use my lexus air ride compressor and make a little adapter out of sticks and chewing gum to but up against the block output side and see if i can blow air thru it. Actually..i should probably do this first. Need to keep the garage door closed cause the damn cat comes into the main shop and ***** everywhere except its perfectly clean litter box...
-pickup tube detached form the pump and is sucking air-unlikelye, but i can test this by putting 3-4 gallons into the pan to make sure it is completely submersed.

ill keep yall posted. Wont have too much time today but I think i can squeeze 20 minutes in.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know the pickup to pan clearance?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got an oil primer pump from my work for the night, i will pressurize the system from the top at the back of the block. at least will lube the bearings as im sure they dont liek turbing over with no oil!

so i should see oil come out the back of the block (oil in from cooler).

im first hgoing to flush the pump with brake clean jsut to see if it comes out the pickup tube. if it does i knwo its not blocked. Perhaps its jsu tnot priming?
I dont understand how it wouldnt...but...stranger things have happened.

if the pump/pickup sint blocked, i will hook the oil cooler back on, then prime th eoil system. if i STILL dont have oil pressure,

im doing a cummins swap.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pan to pickup clearance is minimal. If someone set the engine on the pan, it would be enough to block off the pickup.
I wanna say gary said something like 1/8 inch or less.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total bummer on the oiling issue... when/how did you get water in the oil pan?

Bumping it a few seconds with the starter may not be enough time for the pump to prime. Without a filter in place all of the oil in the pump will drain out as well (my understanding on anti-drainback valves in filters) since you have the outlet open to atmosphere.

I'd try drawing a vacuum from the oil outlet to forcibly prime the pump and suck oil through, then bump the starter. If my thinking pans out, you'll get an oil shower.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i flushed the outlet of the pump with decicer and got water to come out (or maye was the deicer) anyway-pickup is clear.
I took oil filter of and fed oil from back ofthe block/turbo feed line at 50 psi. I ha oil come out thru there so thats good. put filter back on, pumped about an extra gallon back thru the system. i know its primed..has to be.
i got the feed line uncorcked. Tried cranking it for 20 seconds...no oil..
Ill try starting it after work but im doubtful..
at a loss here, if no oil while running..gotta pull the motor..probably wont happen for at least a month then

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
condolences man!
that sucks! i know all too well about spending countless hours on a project then it all go to ****.
about 3 years ago i did some major mods on my little 5 window coupe.
2 months, every day working on this thing.
10+ hours a day.
new engine, new trans, etc.
on its madien voyage, i hooked a right out of my driveway to the deadend of my street.
rapped the throttle a couple of times, and on the third wrap, my throttle stuck.
with 6" wide fronts and 10" slicks on the rear, it put me right into the wall.
tore the whole car apart and ruined the crank.
ive since then rebuilt the frame, but what a journey.
lot of time, lot of money, down ye ole terlit.
keep at it, things will go your way, eventually!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think backfeeding oil would fill the filter or pickup tube...