Pulling the oil pan with motor in truck?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Can this be done? My truck is a turbo, I am trying to figure out this dang oil leak, now its looking like its coming from the oil pan. If I do this I would need to do it in 2-3 days. I guess the motor would need to be lifted up, turbo removed? I am suspecting a bad batch of gray silicone I used. What other silicone can I use to seal up the oil pan to motor block that's going to work real well?

Are there any tips and tricks to removing the oil pan?

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I've never done it, but others have said its possible. I imagine you'd have to remove the turbo since there is not a lot of clearance btwn it and the firewall. I think you'll have to jack the motor up at least 2" IIRC.

I just looked through your pictures of your truck. Looks really nice. Did change the front clip or drop the '85 motor into a newer truck?

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped my pan without moving the engine, but it only will drop an inch and a half or so. I cut a cork gasket (bought at Napa) and slid it in from the front to the back then rtv'd the area where the gasket met up again. No leaks. If you have a lot of silicone to clean up, that would be the bigger challenge, trying to clean it up without it falling inside the pan.

I don't know why people are hesitant to use cork gaskets, they work if properly used. I have one on my rear end cover too, no leaks.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why people are hesitant to use cork gaskets, they work if properly used. I have one on my rear end cover too, no leaks.

The same reason any proffesional engine builder doesnt use the cork gaskets, they dont last or hold like silicone does. Silicone is what they used from the factory. If you do a search I have pics showing you how high you willneed to lift the motor to get the oil pan completely out. About eight inches.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd sooner lift the body then pull the turbo. Just something to consider.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I've never done it, but others have said its possible. I imagine you'd have to remove the turbo since there is not a lot of clearance btwn it and the firewall. I think you'll have to jack the motor up at least 2" IIRC.

I just looked through your pictures of your truck. Looks really nice. Did change the front clip or drop the '85 motor into a newer truck?

That was a completly different truck, I sold that one and bought a CC DRW. Anyways yes when I had it I swapped front clips from a 85 to the newer style.

Also I hear a lot of back and forth on using a gasket vs. only using silicone. What silicone did you all use on yours? I think I will be lifting the motor to do this.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you lift the motor you will need to unbolt the oil pickup tube before removing the pan and then put the pickup and pan back as an assembly
the other way in truck is to remove the oil pan crossmember and replace the stock rivets with some really strong bolts

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drill out stock rivets make sure to have truck well supported

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I would just pull the engine, its not a big deal after you done it a time or two

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same reason any proffesional engine builder doesnt use the cork gaskets, they dont last or hold like silicone does. Silicone is what they used from the factory. If you do a search I have pics showing you how high you willneed to lift the motor to get the oil pan completely out. About eight inches.

I realize that, he is looking for a quick fix. It will work for that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing the cross member would be insane! Have you ever done it? I've tried to remove them... as part of a total break down of the skeletal remains of a parts truck. This cross member and the frame rails are like the keel of a ship. It is so well constructed, that disassembling it is a major undertaking. I have NOT sucessfully removed one without doing it in such a way that major damage occurs to one or more structural members, usually due to excessive use of the torch. Use of a drill, grinder, and other cutting impliments is extremely difficult due to the angles involved. Trying to do it to a fully assembled truck is, in my opionion, impossible.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wasnt that hard wen we did it on a buddies truck some heavy duty grinders got the heads off and a big air chisle with a blunt tip poped the rivets out then put in new crossmember with bolts

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yall know you have to remove the tranny and flywheel to do this right ,, it makes it alot easier to do the job and you dont have to lift the motor up near as far, but for the hard way yeah pull the turbo take tranny crossmember out and start lifting