Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually used the bathtub down stairs that doesn't get used much. As I walked through the door with it, she told me to keep it away from her fabric. It was extremely dirty. I didn't go all pull it apart and scrub it with a toothbrush on it but it is much cleaner than it was. I feel like I can touch it and not get filthy. I went over the connectors to make sure they were all in good shape and surprisingly I think everything is pretty good except the fuel selector harness which I know was melted. That's what precipitated the change to the aftermarket valve and harness. I am pretty sure I will have to lenthen or modify my harness a bit because I moved the valve but I moved it forward so I may just be able to fish the wires out of the harness and move it back.

Last night was an act of desparation. I had to do something. My intent was to hang the front fuel tank but my camper tape wouldn't come off the roll (what I'm using for cushion on the fuel tank straps)... it was just too cold. When I went out and turned the heater on it wouldn't even start. Said it was out of fuel.... nope its almost full. I guess the Off-road was a little thick for it. I finally got it going but it was really laboring and not putting out like it should so I ran out and grabbed this stuff out of the parts truck and ran it inside. I wish I had some space in the basement to do little things but I lost all that when I gained a kid. :rolleyes:

It's supposed to be brutally cold here the next few days so I may see if I can think of anymore of these type things I can do indoors.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the past 10 years, i built engines in my kitchen.
cleanest place on the property! lol!!
now that im having twins, the engines will have to be built elsewere.
needed a place for 2 hichairs!

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to get my wife to go garage chic on the kitchen... no dice. Maybe on the next remodel. ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
she was introduced to this from the get go...
the only choice she has is my choice..:D
she woke up one morning and it was out, she didnt have an opinion one way or the other..lol

i think she digs the house decor
the only thing she ever asked to get rid of was the stripper pole LOL

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Finally have a cold morning here so I read this whole thread, great build man,;Sweet I am glad rust is not much of an issue for us cause' watching your grind weld repeat series was epic. You should be proud that is some true perseverance. You are going to be stoked when that thing is back on the road. Idiot that man cave decorating style is my dream, and my wife's nightmare. I have reached a compromise (she won:rolleyes:) with her and at least get to keep my full size cm russell art prints although the bloody ones are in the basement...

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. ;Sweet

So right now my plans for the engine are to do a Promar Reman with typ4 cam, 910 springs, studs and a Garrett GT 3788 on a Banks plumbing kit. I am planning on doing it like Heath's set-up in the moose boost thread. I'll more than likely go with A bull moose pump.

I have everything but the engine and internals itself in hand. I've waffled back and forth on a reman or doing my own or just re-sealing one of the engines I have. They were both running driving trucks, but I never really got a chance to drive them on the road much so they are really unknown condition. So going with a fresh reman at least I know what I've got.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't gotten to go through it all but looking good. Think my wife would just make me buy a new truck..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The words never again have been uttered more than once. [emoji1]

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The words never again have been uttered more than once. [emoji1]

Haha I believe that. Still, you're going to have a brand new 1980s truck. Except better and even more durable. I think it's come up already in this thread, but with you doing moose pump and a reman, have you considered the whole moose engine? With what you already have might not be a good idea, just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I considered it until I got the price tag. [emoji6]

I won't post it here because I asked Mel directly and he hasn't posted it to my knowledge. If I were 100% die hard IDI and didn't already have the turbo stuff mostly, it would be a stretch but a lot closer to where I am than I would have guessed. He is offering a top notch warranty though. Warranty is another reason for paying just a little extra for the promar.

At the end of the day to do a full rebuild and freshen the cylinder heads I figured I was going to be around 2-2.5k to do it myself. That's if nothing was wrong and no machine work on the bottom end was required. I emailed promar and for essentially the cost of the extra parts (studs etc.) they would build it how I wanted and put the warranty on it. A call and a credit card and it shows up. I haven't committed yet but if Uncle Sam is at all kind, it won't be long.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a mean engine lol but I would rebuilt it my self but then again I have access to all the tools and knowledge to rebuild my own Cylinder heads and a clean secure shop to rebuild it lol me and my buddy's have rebuilt many agg equipment engines mostly Deere, cummins, and ford lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a struggle for me. I don't have the tools. I don't have the machine shop. By the time I bought the measuring tools, I'd make up the difference and then there is the Noob factor. I've never done a diesel. I've never done an engine all by myself either. But mostly it's the time. I have another motor here once I turn a core in. I can mess with it once I figure out if I'm going to be happy with this. Really, you nailed it in the last post. It's time. I know I could do it all myself but at some point you just have to get it done. Oh yeah and the warranty. :D

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah I work In a agg diesel repair shop we mostly do diesels engine rebuilds, tranny work, clutches stuff like that lol but we have a couple gassers and if there is one thing I learned building engines is time is the key your always waiting on parts and measuring to deturmin wear and what size parts to get lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online