Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I somehow got lucky and didn't have to work the entire weekend. After a 60+ hour week. After a trip to the depot and a little help from some folks here I got the fuel tank bolted up. That leads me to the next quandary.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here you can see the FSV and the location of the sending unit. Question is how do I get from one to the other. Since I relocated the FSV, it makes the front lines longer than they were. There is not a ton of space up along the frame rail and I still have a wire harness to run up through there. So as I see it I have 2 options. I can run hard lines with soft connections like I did for the rear, or I can run hose all the way. The hose would be quick and have no extra joints. It would take up more space and be a little harder to mount. I'd probably put wire loom around it and zip tie it in there. If I went hard line, I'd probably take the stock plastic clips, cut one of the three holders off making it a 2 clip then do it with the bubble flare like I did the others. Not sure yet. I want to get this done though because this and the trans are the last bits keeping me from setting the cab back on. Guess I'll sleep on it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I slept on it and here's what I did. I took these clips that I bought (thanks Jon).

So I cut one clip off because I only needed 2 and frankly that's all the space there was.

It's crowded. [emoji6]

At the FSV.

Ran the return and supply hard lines.

Same trick here.

I left the ends long so I'd have plenty of tubing to run it the way I want to. I ordered my duralift pump the other day. It will be here Wednesday I think.

Pulled the wire harness.

Got to ditch this for the new connector. Of course, the pigtail is about 2" too short. [emoji53]

Put the plastic tank protectors on.

Had to drop the front strap because the tabs that hold the stupid front cap on wouldn't slide under. [emoji35]

Then I put the skid plate back on.

What a pain. Do yourselves a favor guys. Just delete that front tank.

And that's where we are. Once I get that connector on, I'll pull the cab out, degrease the tranny and tcase, set them in and it's cab time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those lines look killer! good job!
that aluminum is sure nice to work with!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoops. Missed a pic. Here's the melted FSV connector.

The Al does a nice job. You have to watch and not get a bend too close to the end. Hard to get the kinks out of the rolled up stuff.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, weather, work and life have gotten in the way of progress this week. Finally got this finished. I put up a thread asking for wire diagrams (thanks Ken). I checked the color codes in my book and I used this for my wiring on my plug. I found it in a web search. It came from an fte thread I think.

The result here is honestly, I'm not 100% sure I have the tanks properly corresponding to this but if it's wrong, I'll fix it later. Here is the color code from my book.

I'm pretty sure the wiring is right but I may have the plumbing backwards. I'll figure that out shortly.
I went solder and heat shrink. My soldering is pathetic so I'll just show you the end results. It's strong but ugly.

With wire loom.

Now I think I'm a few zip ties and a transmission and Tcase away from a cab mounting party. [emoji4]

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome man looks great. If I was closer I'd bring a six pack to the cab setting party!

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Nice work on running those lines;Sweet. I cant wait to see the cab on it. This is an inspiring project thanks for taking the time to share it. :cheers:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah!!

This worked perfect. It's floating about an inch off the ground on all 4 corners. [emoji6]

And up.

And down.

Windshield in tack and all. Need some fresh cab mount bolts. Mine were more crispy than I realized. Then it's game on!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeahh budyy, its going to be done in no time1 pas what is the max height on that gantry?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeahh budyy, its going to be done in no time1 pas what is the max height on that gantry?

I'm not sure what the advertised height is but it's about maxed. The top is just clearing the rafters in my 12' building. It's almost not tall enough but we got the job done. My buddy came out and helped. I got it leveled so well, I probably could have set it by myself but an extra pair of hands sure made it go easier. I've got to come up with a way to slow this hoist down some more. I either need to triple the line or something. It's to fast as it is and I don't like how bouncy it things get when you just tap it.

Anybody with a supercab truck, this was a clinic on balancing. I impressed myself and that's pretty damn hard. [emoji6]

I finally gave up on cleaning the trans and tcase. After 4 rounds of degreaser followed by pressure washing and a last round of hosing it down with brake clean and it's still not "clean". I finally decided that I was going for I don't want to wash my hands after touching it clean as opposed to I'm going to paint it clean. Sheesh. Linkage came off the side (tcase) to be cleaned up. It was pretty nasty but I'll toss it back on later after its cleaned up plated and painted.

Here is a teaser for my latest capability. I did these today for my buddy.

We've been talking about doing this for a while and we put it all together today. The dark areas are wet.

That's "hard nickel". It has a matte finish but I think if you put it down on a smooth surface, there is plenty of it to polish out. Can you say nickel plated exhaust parts? [emoji6]

Cab bolts tomorrow! Night all.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
That looks killer, now you need some brighteners in the pot and It'll look like a smith and wesson;Sweet. What is that part? a unimog portal axle hub? Also what did you use for your bath conditions looks like a nice level coat, well done.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It actually is a Unimog portal axle hub. Very few people I would have thought would identify it on this forum. It's a hard nickel recipe rather than a shiny nickel recipe. No brightener or levelers. Nickel sulfate, boric acid, ammonium chloride. That's it. I'm sure if it were a smooth part, you could polish it but it would be a lot of work. He wanted corrosion resistance but wanted a hard finish so we went nickel vs the zinc. I think he's going to paint most of it.

I'd do a how to on it if I thought there was enough interest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86