Project Big Red

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minimal update. I took tonight and inventoried some parts. Started digging through my box of ziplock baggies to see what I had. After making a list of the next bunch of money to spend, I dug out my front tank sending unit. It needs cleaned up. The rear was trashed so it will be taken from the parts truck which has one in good shape I think.

I ordered a bunch more stuff this morning so I'll have plenty to do this weekend. Should have everything to complete the brake system up to the master cylinder. If you want Wagner brake pads/shoes do yourself a favor and get them from Amazon. Less than half $$$ what advance wanted.

So all that aside, I realized I left myself a little present. I forgot the front tank skid plate bolts on the frame side broke. [emoji35]

The front wasn't too bad.
You must be registered for see images attach

Easy access. The a$$hole who thought it was a good idea for them to poke up through the crossmember on the rear ought to be shot.

One of the clips cost me a hole in a finger. [emoji35]

Anyway, cleaned it up with some sand paper and shot a little primer on there. This was the reason for using the implement enamel but I have to say, even with the hardener in it, it's way softer than I would like. But too late to change now.

Dug out my fuel tank straps but I'm going to see what they cost. I could clean them up but let's face it, this is no longer a budget build. I'm in get it done mode now. I don't even want to know what I've spent this week but all necessary and it'll push me quite a bit farther along.

as long as its just a hole in the finger, and not a hole in the head, youre on the right track! :D
if you dont put your blood sweat and tears into it, she aint worth building!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in get it done mode now.
OH I know this feeling all to well!!!:eek::eek::eek: I wish they had an emoticon for "make it rain money"

I wouldn't get too worried about the frame paint being soft. Different thoughts on products. Some guys like stuff a little softer because it won't chip as easy. So on a frame that may be a good thing. Other guys like hard finishes. But they will chip easier. So depending on how soft is soft I don't think it's necessarily bad. I used acrylic enamal on my chassis parts I didn't powder coat.

Once again Looking good and your making great progress!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea!!! More parts. Hope a truck materializes soon.

Front wheel bearing and seal kits. I'm a little irritated because I thought they were timken USA bearings but they are NTN. At least they are made in USA.

Fuel selector and pigtail. AC delco branded. Also made in US. Pigtail not so much but it looks like a standard 6 pole Packard weather pack connector for those interested.

The orientation is a little funny but I think it will work.

Front brake pads. Deal of the week. $20 from Amazon.

More stuff coming tomorrow. Installed the rear brake soft line. Trying to decide if I'm starting in the front or the rear or both. Hard part is deciding if I'm going to paint all this stuff before installing it. Another update tomorrow I hope.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, almost tomorrow.

Rear tank painted and installed. Had to loose the trailer hitch. Damn shame it won't drop in from the top.

I think this is where the selector valve is going. Need to figure out how to route the lines but it all fits there. May need a little loom to make me happy that it won't chafe the lines.

Here's the brake lines. Got everything laid out and I have an extra line. No clue what it's for. Maybe the option equalizing valve on the rear of some trucks? Dunno.

Don't look like much, but I'm beat. I also pulled the sending unit and tank straps off the rear tank from the parts truck.

I'm looking for the connector that goes in the top of the sending unit. The metal parts were good but the plastic parts were pretty toasty. May just switch out all those connectors.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking Great!

That line that routed on the crossmember kicked my butt. I couldn't remember how it and the fuel line ran for the life of me. In the end I made it work.

Lots of details. Nice working on clean shiny stuff isn't it. No more rust and crust!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its blasphemy that you are working on your truck and your hands are clean! :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here's the final toll for the weekend.

Tank primed and painted.

Fuel lines run for rear tank.

I'm having a major problem with my inventory system...yeah that's it. I spent time yesterday and today extracting the rear fuel tank straps off the parts truck because the new set I bought were wrong. [emoji35]
After a sandblast and zinc plating I found these.

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

At that point I decide it's time to do some more inventory and I find the line clips new in a box that I just bought the other day and haven't arrived. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Okay, less irritated about that one because I hadn't spent a lot of time on it. But it did let me get the fuel lines and brake lines hung.

Next up will be front tank and getting the senders freshened up. I need to see if I can find a replacement for the connectors then it's easy.

Speaking of brake lines. This was in my kit.

I don't know what it's for. I think I have all the other lines sorted and I think they are all accounted for. Any ideas? I thought maybe the load proportioning valve that I don't have on the rear? Front tank in. Wire harness in. Trans cleaned up and set in place. It will be cab time!!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing i can think of is that it would go from the MC to the proportioning valve, or ABS??
extra clamps you say??:sly
i could use some of those.
you didnt happen to find a new 7.3T that you dont need in your inventory did you?
looks killer man! great job!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New straps for the front tank came. Bent them into shape. Was going to paint them but it's cold and currently putting down ice at an alarming rate.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my fuel hose came. I went with the really soft fluorosilicone. It's actually has a better rating than viton for biodiesel. As that may be in the cards later, I picked it for the shower head replacement and for my bushings on the return lines.

This is 3/16" ID and 5/16" OD. Stretching it over the 5/16" connections thins the walls out and it's about perfect.

Fuel hose will slip over it snugly.

Put the fuel injection style clamps on and it easily passes the tug test.

Did the others.

That should take care of mating the 5/16" returns to my all 3/8" pluming. I drilled the other hole in the frame to make the selector valve location permanent. Now I've got to get the front tank straps painted and I can hang the tank to run those lines. They will be longer to the FSV than stock because I moved the valve forward to make it easier to get to. I can then either drop the cab back on or I can finish off the brake system. Not sure which I'll do first but it will probably depend on when I'll have a little help to set the cab back on. I can probably do it myself but another pair of hands can't hurt. It's freaking cold this weekend so may not be much progress.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sum total of this weekend.

That's it. It's so cold here, I want to go plug the truck in and the motor is setting on the stand.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife thinks I'm crazy, but I gave my wire harness and the fuel tank end protectors.

Yeah. I may have finally gone off the deep end.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn man your just knocking back all that little stuff that comes at the end of such a project! Well done! You can honestly say at the end of all this you know every single piece and part of this truck intimately.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Did you really bath your wiring harness?:rotflmao Buy that women some roses man, I do believe my wife would have kicked my ass clear out of the house if I put that stuff in her sink. Been enjoying your build keep up the good work.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool laser! I have to use the dog shower in the basement to wash my parts. :rolleyes:

I don't know about yours, but I was amazed at how dirty the electrical harnesses were. Not the ends the whole harness. Rocks and dust dropped out of mine like crazy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70