Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The joint at the top actually feels fine. It's good and tight as best I can tell. I was thinking some kind of white lithium grease for reassembly. The stuff that's in it is pretty gummy. I'm a little worried about getting it back together but hey, if I can't do that, I had probably just better hang it up or live with a straight column. [emoji6]

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly I found a thread on the fullsizebronco and also there are a couple you-tube videos that cover dis-assembly and assembly

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress. Primed and painted.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brake lines came in. They look awesome. Totally worth the money if they fit half as good as they look.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the plan. Lines, wires, fuel tanks and the cab goes back on to finish the body work. Also have to change a rear axle seal (at least one. Probably do both while I'm at it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amesome man. Column looks good.

What lines you get. The lines I bought fit great!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a stainless kit from inline tube. They didn't have my truck in the catalog but I called them up and it was no problem to get them.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much were the stainless steal break lines? My truck had them on It when I bought the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were $195 plus shipping. You could get slightly better deals through Amazon if they had your truck listed. Mine was not. [emoji53]

Made a little progress today. Pulled the Rabs valve off the parts truck. Some hot water and dawn later and it looks decent. Not new but decent.

In the mean time, I tossed some parts in the oven. Couple hours on lowest heat and the paint seems to be much tougher.

I made the jump and pushed the chassis into the garage. Time to go to work!
Set the front wheels on a small set of harbor freight furniture dollies. The littles ones are rated at 1000lbs each so we will see how the hold up. The size is perfect. Tired sit right between the pads.

And I hung the freshly cleaned Rabs valve in.

I started putting the column back together. After much cussing and sore hands, I got the pivot pins back in. I needed another pair of hands and a tail for that one. Got to the point of reinstalling the latch mechanism and realized one of the little clips was broken. [emoji35] so now that's on hold until I can find one. Most of my brake parts should arrive tomorrow or the next day. Have to get a selector valve ordered and figure out where to put it because it's not going back where it was.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that frame looks badass, so do the parts! keep up the good work.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The stuff that you 3 are doing is just amazing!!!! (You laser, IDIoit and Greg). I seem the do well just keeping my stuff moving.... car, tractors, etc..... to disassemble and make better your trucks, my hats off to you. I may be there some day, but not yet.... think I would **** off the neighbors if I had a "truck kit" sitting in the driveway and yard.........

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wrenching is fun, but when you have a project completly blasted apart, thats where the real fun begins!!!
the only thing thats hard about a big project like this, is having the room, and the will..
i didnt get as far as these other 2 guys, but there both doing a great job.
both of them are on the down hill slope and about to have a really awesome truck!
i admire the steps they went through, but they really need to be commended on actually staying on it, and getting them back together.
ive picked up so many projects because someone tore it apart and lost interest.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motivation and staying with it has been tough having to work mostly by myself but seeing things starting to come together helps. I figured a year. I'm rounding the corner to two. I also never had any intention of blowing it completely apart like this. This is my first one like this and my last for a while. It has been an adventure. I really just want to drive my truck now. As for space, it's quite the problem some times. Luckily I have pretty good neighbors who haven't minded trucks sitting around in kit form. [emoji6]

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how far are you from mechanicsville?
i could make my lill brother come over and help you when it comes time for the body to go back on.
hes one of those honda guys, but hes a DIY honda guy. not one of those F&F pukes.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. I also never had any intention of blowing it completely apart like this. T

haha you and me both! "ill just put this front axle under it, and shes about done!" realistic budget...
what i really admire about your build laser, you are literally taking every single dang piece apart, cleaning and reconditioning it. thats hardcore!