Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does pretty good. Tank needs redone. I did a thread on it about a year ago. I'm not going for shiny so much since I'm going to paint it all. If you look back through this thread, I have some before and after pics.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have delt with ALOT of rust... ive done this in a plastic 33 gallon trash can and a battery charger.
pretty much what you did just on a larger scale.
what did you use for the medium? i used Arm and Hammer washing soda...
worked so damn good!
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I media blasted the parts, I didn't do the electrolysis thing but I have read a little about it and I am intrigued. I would love to do that after media blasting to catch anything that didn't get blasted off.

The zinc plating is pretty much a stock recipe. Happy to share it again if you need it. I my parts are coming out duller than they did. Probably time to add some more Karo (aka brightener).

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ahh so thats your zinc plating tank. same concept, different media.
i shall use this!
i do it the other way around, stick the parts in the tank and let sit overnight, wire brush, rinse, dry, then blast.
less man hours, and keeps the sand or whatever you use alot cleaner.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started doing the electrolysis stuff recently. Seems to work well. I cleaned up a set of model A spindles. The zinc plating stuff is next on my list.

Laserjock - What media do you use in your cabinet. I just picked up a cabinet and it was setup for soda. I'm trying to decide between soda or sand. Soda is less aggressive so safer for stuff, but I've heard you have to wash the soda off when done?

Looking Good man!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use black beauty extra fine from tractor supply (or whatever they call it). The medium grit is to coarse and clogs. If I'm doing aluminum parts, or things I'm just "cleaning" I'll run glass beads. About 80 grit I think.

Vacuum on the cabinet is a must to keep the dust down. I need more lights in mine. Also need to get some fresh tear offs.

I have done some acid dips followed by a blast and plate. Never done the electrolysis stuff. Need to do some more reading.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, a bit on the electrolysis "thing"... As many of you know, diesels are not my only hobby. Dad and I also have a collection of IH Cub Cadet Garden tractors (currently at 11) and some time back, there was a thread with a lot of information in it. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/22745/182508.html

This is a bit different forum software than we use here. There are archive links at the top of this page. The top most one is the oldest 50 posts, and then so on..... take a look at what is there. Several members have used electrolysis to clean up rusty IH Cub Cadet parts. Unfortunately, many owners though it was fine to leave them sit outside..........

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laserjock, you may want to try a piece of aluminum window screen in front of the glass in your blast cabinet. Works pretty good and the glass will last 10 times longer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well here are the parts after coming out of the oven.

I set up to shoot some primer on them and found out my primer was bad. [emoji35]. A trip to TSC for some primer and now I have grey parts.

I wanted to get the black on them but couldn't get it dried fast enough. I didn't want to be tending the fire all night. So I pulled my "new" tilt cruise column off the shelf and started getting it ready to swap in my stuff and I realize that one of the bearings is bad and the snap ring at the top is missing. [emoji35]

So this happened.

I tore it all down. Figured out which bearing was bad an in the mean time, I'll clean it all up and put fresh grease everywhere. Hopefully I can get it all back together correctly with my ignition cylinder and cruise working. I'm considering putting a fresh turn signal switch in while I have it apart because unlike a non-tilt column it seems you have to tear it all down to change it. The connector won't pass through the tilt mechanism like I remember doing on my 88 non-tilt years ago. Another while I'm in here. The set of 83 shop manuals Dad gave me saved my butt again on this one to figure out how to remove the pivot pins. So now I'll get a bearing ordered, and start cleaning and reassembling and the column will be ready to go back in.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may the force be with you on that steering column!

in my cabinet i use plexi glass.
i have a large supply of it from my scrapping days. found a box truck full of plexi, tempered, and single pane glass.
in my profession we use glass alot to cut our material, and i found this box for free, so i utilized every part of it.

easy to cut, drill and replace as needed.
i cant tell you how many shop vacuums i have went through! found a old 60's shop vac one day at a garage sale,
and with this cloth filter element, it has lasted for years!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the column, it's just fiddly. I'll get it back together. It may take me a couple tries but I'll get it right. It's a lot easier laying out on a bench than in the truck. ;Really

The window is plexi. I could just use it till I can't see through it and replace it but eh...

What I have found works really great are the dryway dust bags for the shop vacs. I have sucked up a lot of drywall dust in the house. With a normal filter, it just redisperses it out the exhaust. These bags put a stop to that. Works good on the blast cabinet too since essitially, all you want the vacuum to do is remove the fines. I need a little bigger filter on my air intake side. I stuck a small (lawn mower size) air filter on the back of the box for incoming air. It needs to be a little bigger. If I keep doing this stuff I will build it up to a cadilac. Main thing it needs is more lighting. ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding your column is a good deal. I ended up pulling my crew cab column last winter when it stripped out during a cold spell. Completely sucked.

What grease are you using? I can't remember

Thanks for the tip on the dust bags for the shop vac. We're gutti

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to use for grease. I was contemplating that myself. Probably something pretty light.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try KY. Mine was a ***** to get back together after I stripped it to that point. I've only done the one, but would rather not do another.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the shaft joint for the column tilt tight? Mine had a lot of slop in it. I used lithium grease to put it all back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online