Project Big Red

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike I know I've heard guys talk about making those with flat plate and tube. If you can get a set I'd rather have the originals. I was lucky mine came apart and weren't rusty.

I pull them apart the same way. Put in a bolt from the top and beat them apart. Here again only works with the cab off.

- Jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sweet. ill have that **** handeled in the AM
snd you a pic.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the front of the cab mounts came out pretty easy. after i knew how lol
th radiator supports will be a little more tricky

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy page 3.
someone needs to update more.
or get off his rearend lol:backoff

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geeze... such angst. Nobody is more irritated by the lack of progress than me trust me. Between the holiday and the flu, its been a rough couple of weeks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally a little progress.

Sealed the seams.

Fit the cab mounts back in. Took more beating than I imagined.

Got them fitted back in and welded up.

The drivers side gave me some trouble. That's not surprising considering that side was really bad and had drooped and cracked. I think I've got it all lined back up till it ought to set right but won't know till it goes back on.

Little paint tomorrow and it's on to the next thing. Trying to decide exactly what that is. I'm leaning toward bringing the chassis back in and getting it filled in. Then clean the tranny up and hang it in there and set the cab. That will give me plenty to work on till the weather breaks. I could finish the metal work with it up off the ground and stable which would be nice. Anyway. Finally. 2 months late.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ready to go back on the chassis now.....finally. Sheesh.

I broke out my devilbiss detail gun to give it a try and I'm pretty happy. Shooting in a closed space I still didn't have a huge amount of overspray like the dreaded purple gun. I shot into the holes and cracks as best I could. That's all I can do. And now decision time. Do I finish the bodywork, or start on the rest of the mechanical work. The up side to doing the body work off the frame is I have more room in the shop. If I start the plumbing and electrical, it's basically taking up residence until it's done and that's a lot of space. But putting the cab on the chassis gives me lots to do as I can pretty much finish everything except the paint. So the choice seems to be limited space or chance messing the body work up during moving it.

Feel free to weigh in.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
decision time. Do I finish the bodywork, or start on the rest of the mechanical work. The up side to doing the body work off the frame is I have more room in the shop.

i missed this one! dont paint it without the body being on the frame!ive seen pAINT CRACK WHEN YOU TRY TO BOLT THE BODY DOWN.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No real progress since thanksgiving unfortunately. Between everyone being sick and the holidays and then work it's just not happened. We've just about recovered so progress can start again. I've decided the frame is coming in and plumbing is about to commence. I was sizing up brake components this morning. I've got to get a bag of media in the cabinet then I'll blast, zinc plate and paint my new to me body mounts (thanks IDIoit!). Once I do that, I'll probably clean up the trans and hang it in the frame rails ( much easier from the top the the bottom). I'll post up once I get moving.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress....finally. Well, I spent the afternoon changing the media out in the blast cabinet and cleaning the windows. That makes things go so much better. 50lbs of fresh black beauty and off I went. I tore down all the various body mounts I've accumulated and matched them up to the new bushings. After a few minutes of head scratching, I chose the best parts (thank you IDIoit and Kenny) the west coast parts it was. In case you are wondering, this is how you take the core support mounts apart.

Clamp it all together and the impact gun makes really quick work of it.

I blasted them all up along with some other odds and ends.

Then zinc plated all of it.

Tossed them in the oven to bake and I'll paint them up when I get a minute.

I also fixed my wood stove which was smoking horrifically. Pipe was mostly plugged up. Wife said I looked like I'd been in a fire. I said, well sorta.

After all that, I started to tear down my steering column. Pulled the steering wheel and extracted my ignition switch from it since its new and it's keyed to the doors. Need to get the new to me column down and swap parts around.

Stainless brake lines are ordered. The rest of the brake parts are about to be ordered. Need to pull the hub on the right rear and figure out what I need to fix that axle seal leak.

More to come.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like an electrolysis tank!
looking forward to see how the zinc plating comes out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online