Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally. Here we go!

After final wire wheel and degreasing with marine clean.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then after copious amounts of ospho first worked into the nasty spots and then scrubbed it thoroughly with POR metal prep. I worked it in thoroughly with a scotch brite pad. Then rinsed and scrubbed until I was sick of scrubbing.

As you can see, it leaves a little haze on everything that you really can't scrub off. Supposedly it's a zinc phosphate that promotes adhesion.

Then on to the painting. I put the POR 15 on with the dreaded purple HF gun with 1.5 mm tip. It goes on pretty good without thinning.

After the first coat I was a little worried about adhesion. The rusty areas looked like they were trying to separate, but as it dried it actually looked better.

You can see it kinda fills and levels.The stuff flows forever. It should. 3+ hrs to recoat. Yeah. It's slow. I put on a second wet coat.

It's nice and shiny... Until it dries. I bought satin so no shock there.

And here it is after it's all got 2 coats.

You can see the cab mounts hanging in the foreground. I'll weld those in now after it all sets a couple days then I'll touch everything up and maybe scuff it and shoot another coat on everything. It took about 2/3 of a qt to paint it. That's where we be at least until after turkey day.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing better than a big project with a fresh coat of pain;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike that's awesome. Looks great. The patches look super. Now it's ready to bolt back on!!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Almost. Have to weld in the front cab mounts and touch up the paint as best I can. I wanted to get that area all painted as best I could because once the cab mounts are welded in, you can really get to it. I also need to hunt down a set of metal parts for the front cab mounts. I hope somebody has a clean set laying around but if not, I'll have to try to extract them from my parts truck which will be unpleasant and I don't know their condition.

It looks good from 10 feet and there are a couple other spots that probably should have been cut-out but I can't see spending anymore time on something that is now safe to pass inspection, nobody will ever see and I consider temporary anyway. It should be good enough to last as long as I need it to and that's the main thing. Have to source a drivers upper door hinge. I want to hang the doors before I go cutting on the cab corners and B pilar. I may go ahead and patch the doors first. The are just starting to rust at the bottom seam. Nothing popping through yet, so I think I can clean them up good and treat them and they should be good for the time being.

The only real thing outstanding is a hood. I found capa hoods again. They are cheap enough, I think I'll order one and take a chance. The capa fenders seem decent. Won't really know until I hang everything.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'd like to have all the metal work done, but I'm also tired of doing metal work. I think if I can catch another decent day, ill pressure wash off the engines I have to see what I have to work with.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CC AND EX CAB the same?

at my local yard, theres an 88 bronco i took the doors off and left the hindges.
wouldnt take but a 13 mm wrench and 10 min to go get it.
i need to go talk smack to that old geezer neways

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front mount should be the same on all of them I think.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't make a special trip on my account. I figured somebody had a set laying around from a junked truck that would save me some time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do, but it's spoken for lol
This weekend I'm going to strip the entire truck,
Now that my 87 is almost done, I need to get these axles and steering off for my MANchero
I finally get to put it in the shop!
Show me a pic of the cab mount you want, ill torch em out. Then cleanly take the part you need off.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm starting to get excited a little. It should really start coming together soon.

These are the cab mounts. The top pic is the front mounts. The center is the core support mount and the bottom is the rear cab mount.

I need the metal bits for the front cab mounts and one of the core support mounts. If you have any or all of that handy shoot me a pm and we can work something out. I also need a drivers side upper door hinge (cab mount side ) preferably with the springy thing in tact. Mine broke like they all do. Ill source that new if need be.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soon as the sun decides to wake up in this part of earth i will check them.
if there good, ill pull them off and hook you up.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i pulled the cab off today.
went to pull the mounts you asked for.
how in the hell do these come off?
pry and a hammer didnt do anything.
tryin to keep them clean for you.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I take them off is to run a long 7/16 bolt through the top into the nut on the bottom and drive it apart with a 4lb sledge hammer. You can do that with the cab off. With the cab on its tougher. Guys have made special pullers and stuff. There is a picture of this somewhere in this thread. Let me go look for a link.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. They aren't in here. So here they are.

And I stuck a nut on the bottom for the heck of it.