Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that level is going to start slipping a little as I go on with putting the rest of it back together. I have torn apart about as much as I care to at this point. I'm just going to clean things up best I can and start sticking it back together. I always intended this project to be a learning experience and a trial run to see if I could do it. At this point, I've pretty much seen I can do it. Wanting to do it again is another story. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm getting old. I just don't have the patients for this like I used to. :dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i call BS.
once youre done, and get it to 100%, you will find another project for a deal you cant pass up. and BAM, you are back to where you started :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably. I'll have something capable of heading west and finding the promise land... you know that place where stuff doesn't rust. I hate rust. More now than ever. I'd love to have a crew cab but.... we aren't going to go there right now. Let's see how this works out first. What I'm dreaming of is to find an OBS crew cab short box frame and throw a brick crew cab and short bed on it with my running gear. At least it wouldn't be a city block long and not too many people would have one since they really didn't exist those years.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the knowledge youve aquired with this project, you can do anything you want!

if i ever do another 6 door, i want to use a CC with a SC,
use the entire front end on the back of the truck.
the rear doors will be suicided, (inspired by greg)
and you will never tell which way its coming or going.
using the hood on the back of the truck as a trunk....

(puts down medication)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gonna look in my parts box once the sun shows up, i think i have a tilt column with a busted TS cam.
i dont know if i junked it or not...
ill check.

just sold a nice tilt column, right before you took yours apart..

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that level is going to start slipping a little as I go on with putting the rest of it back together. I have torn apart about as much as I care to at this point. I'm just going to clean things up best I can and start sticking it back together. I always intended this project to be a learning experience and a trial run to see if I could do it. At this point, I've pretty much seen I can do it. Wanting to do it again is another story. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm getting old. I just don't have the patients for this like I used to. :dunno

"Well, that level is going to start slipping a little as I go on with putting the rest of it back together. I have torn apart about as much as I care to at this point."

I hear that. It sounds like a great idea to tear a truck down this far. Then as it goes on, the ambition and money starts getting lean. it's a fine line before every nut and bolt type of restoration and really nice driver. Once your down to a bare frame your right there for the hard core replace everything restoration type mentality. I'm sure I'll tear another vehicle down to the bare frame, but it won't be my 93 when it gets cleaned up.

I also probably have a tilt column or parts if you need some. Let me know. Now I'd have to find them...:eek::eek:

-jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also probably have a tilt column or parts if you need some. Let me know. Now I'd have to find them...:eek::eek:

glad to see im not the only one with this problem lol, i hope youre mopre fruitful than i was for lasers sake lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

-jeremy

Pretty please. [emoji3]

Not a huge rush as you can see the truck is well beyond down. I'm going to keep searching I'll let you know if I find them first.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Amazon fairy came. [emoji2]

You must be registered for see images attach

Brake calipers, rotors, fuel lines electrical panels. I got this little gadget to put the ribs in the hard lines which are going to be aluminum.

It works okay. If you go this route, a little lube makes thing go better.

I had hoped it would be a little heavier ridge but oh well. Looks pretty good though. The clamps I bought are not going to work.

Hose pulls off way too easy and the next smaller size is a no-go. Guess it's either fuel injection clamps or regular old hose clamps. Don't like them, but, eh.

I stuck the rear skid plates in to eyeball the space for the spare tire mount.

It's actually good news. Since switching to the Curt hitch, I have a pair of holes from the stock hitch that are perfect in the frame rails. I think I'm actually going to go with a winch out of a E-350. What's the difference you ask? The super duty winches set on top of the mounts. The van ones hang under. I think it will be slightly easier to fab that. The really good news is after seeing it, I don't actually have to do it right this second because the fuel tank won't really be in the way too bad.

It's going to start looking like something soon.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome man. Getting fun now. I love paint and body, but bolting stuff back together makes big progress quick.

Yeah that tool for ribbing the lines looks interesting.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kinda had to tell in the pic, is that tool for 3/8"?
are you gonna use 3/8 for the return line also?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flaring tool is this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A8OTVI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Earls EZ beading tool. It's actually laying on the tire in the background of the pic. This it the type of connection they used to use all the time on various things. The original was a Parker Kit produced during WW2. They don't make them anymore but are being reproduced. VERY EXPENSIVE. This was something to try. Earl's stuff is usually decent so for less than $30 I gave it a try. They make them for bigger lines too so I may pick one up to help with heater hoses should the need arise.

It is for 3/8. I am plumbing it all in 3/8 for convenience really. I will have to get some thin wall viton tubing to slide over the returns on the fuel selector but I think everything else will fine. Not even sure I would need that but why not do it right the first time. You can actually buy the original ford style fuel connectors with hose barbs on them but without going to ford for the selector valve, there is no point.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minimal update. I took tonight and inventoried some parts. Started digging through my box of ziplock baggies to see what I had. After making a list of the next bunch of money to spend, I dug out my front tank sending unit. It needs cleaned up. The rear was trashed so it will be taken from the parts truck which has one in good shape I think.

I ordered a bunch more stuff this morning so I'll have plenty to do this weekend. Should have everything to complete the brake system up to the master cylinder. If you want Wagner brake pads/shoes do yourself a favor and get them from Amazon. Less than half $$$ what advance wanted.

So all that aside, I realized I left myself a little present. I forgot the front tank skid plate bolts on the frame side broke. [emoji35]

The front wasn't too bad.

Easy access. The a$$hole who thought it was a good idea for them to poke up through the crossmember on the rear ought to be shot.

One of the clips cost me a hole in a finger. [emoji35]

Anyway, cleaned it up with some sand paper and shot a little primer on there. This was the reason for using the implement enamel but I have to say, even with the hardener in it, it's way softer than I would like. But too late to change now.

Dug out my fuel tank straps but I'm going to see what they cost. I could clean them up but let's face it, this is no longer a budget build. I'm in get it done mode now. I don't even want to know what I've spent this week but all necessary and it'll push me quite a bit farther along.