Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started working on gauges and switches tonight. I cut the hole out for the carling switches. Stuck the gauges in to make sure they fit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Spent some time staring at this thing trying to figure out how to wire and mount it. Wiring I have sorted I think. What I'm still chewing on is mounting. I've got a couple pictures of people mounting these. My calibrated eyeball says that I should be able to get a mount point off the structure in the roof. The other installs I've seen use clips under the windshield trim to hold the front. So I'll have to stare at it a little more but I'll come up with something.

I grabbed the other gauge pod and gauges to make sure they fit.

Needed a little massaging. The faux carbon fiber is **** right?? LOL

I see it as temporary. Once I get it adjusted I may use it as a mold to make something or paint it or ?? But it will get me rolling.

I think it will be okay. Now I'm trying to decide on a headliner.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I need to recover my headliner also.
The only thing that's been stopping me, is I don't know what I want to use. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My build thread probably lists it, but I bought my headliner material and glue from Automotive interiors if I remember correctly.

Regarding mounting that I'm thinking some metal strips between the supports under the headliner to screw into. I'd be all over nutserts as you can tigten then up good. the don't seem to back our like the typical trim screws do.

Looking Great as always!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tonight I pretty much finished up the main wire harness.

Still have a few branches to tie up but it's pretty close.

I got tired of looking for a spring clamp and decided to make one.

I'll drill holes through the sides of the clamp for the through bolt. I'll drill a hole in the bottom. Plan is to knock the head off the rivet, slide the clamp on and weld it to the rivet. Give it a lick of paint and call it good. That will let me put a done stamp on the driveline. :D

I made a horn bracket out of aluminum.

Looks good. Hopefully it doesn't interfere. It certainly won't rust like the factory one does.

I plugged the horns in and chased power back as far as the steering column and the horn fuse. Next I guess I need to find the horn relay and see if it works. Anyone venture a guess where it is located?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I was looking for the same thing awhile back. I think towcat set me straight on the location. It's in my signature thread link somewhere.

Mine is still having problems. Got it working after doing all that work on the truck and a month later it went back to the horn only working with the ignition off. I think the harness in the column needs replaced.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent all afternoon cleaning up the yard so I can mow grass. Yes, that has officially happened. [emoji19]

So today I finished this bracket up.

Then knocked the head off the rivet and welded this on.

Looks good to me. I'll get some stainless tube and a couple bolts to put through the tops of them and call it good.

I also got the intake tube cut down and fit.

She ought to breath. LOL

Still looking for the damn horn relay.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll look again. This was a 5 speed cruise truck. When I got it the column had been swapped to non tilt cruise. I have no idea if any of the cruise stuff works. It seems to all be there.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
IIRC, it should have one there. I can't recall if it was factory non-tilt column trucks didn't have a relay or if it was factory non-cruise trucks (probably non-cruise trucks). I think the Enterprise has had the column swapped to a non-tilt.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it seems non cruise didn't use a relay. Makes sense I suppose. I believe the cruise is all driven through the horn contacts with different resistors. So I suppose if the cruise module is bad, it might cause problems.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She is officially mobile!! I drove it back and forth a few feet. Apparently I've got the linkage off a little bit on the tcase. The 4 hi and 4 lo work but I've got no 2 hi. Feels like it's going in but it's hits a hard stop and I get nothing.

To get to that point, I topped off the power steering and bled it and the hydroboost. I tried it before but I had no clutch. So I pulled the slave off and worked it in and out slowly against the bellhousing and used the riotwarrior method to reinstall it. Works like a charm now. After a few shifts, it's going in all the gears fairly smooth. The other big surprise is that I really don't have any rollover noise to speak of so Russ must have done an excellent job on the injectors.

So I backed all that up by installing the track bar and torquing the shackle bolts. Still need to get the Ubolts cut off and run the nuts down on them. I may stick the shocks on first.

So that was a pretty good feeling. Now I just need to finish everything.

LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a long and winding road. If you look back, the post that started me down the slippery slope was October first. Up till then, I was going to put it on the road and start tinkering with it as I had time/needed to. We are a long ways from there. That's the last time it moved under its own power. Still have a way to go. There's light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it's not the train.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.