Project Big Red

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On my 88 the horn relay was next to the cruise module. Roughly mid firewall.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to climb up under there. Man, wish I had thought to check this while the dash was out. [emoji21]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have located the cruise box. I have also determined the box behind the cruise box is the RABS brain. As I'm also having issues with it, that's good to know. That's for another day. I was chasing my tail because the ******** used the same color wire for the horn and the connection from the brain to the RABS dump valve. [emoji35]

I still cannot find the damn horn relay. I've been all over under the dash. I'm gonna get pissed off and splice in somewhere and put my own relay in.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some may have not had a horn relay, I never found mine either when I tried to figure out why mine didn't work . I think I read somewhere on another forum some didn't come with them and it makes the horn button go out on the steering wheel often. I read it on another forum so it maybe wrong lol

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only bit of input I have on the horn thing, there is a small brass pin about the size of a pen tip. it goes on the turn dial that flips the turn signal off and I believe it acts as a ground. when I had my column apart I lost it and my horn will only work with the key switch off. I think the cruse still works but I don't use it that often. I really have no knowledge on the relay.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was white knuckle enough sitting on my little stool. I kept having visions of it Lurching forward knocking me off my stool and driving through the back of the garage. LOL

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my bronco has a horn relay for sure it's a 87 and I can hear it click actually thinking about it now, I can look for it and take a picture of it, I know it's under the dash above the gas pedal somewhere it's horn works. I still haven't figured out my f350 horns yet I always forget about it till I need it I even have air horns set up behind my grill with some wiring ready to go, just another one of my eventually will do projects lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to work my way through the safety inspection check list. Once I get tags, I only have 30 days to get it inspected. I don't have a lot of time to mess around fixing little things like the horn doesn't work. I need it to pass the first time. MD only lets you have one temp tag per vehicle so I can't even go pay again for a second temp. Just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's as I go now.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Man, Nebraska we get away with anything... only time ive been inspected is when buying out of state vehicles- they just run the VIN and kick the tires. Thats it. No horns, wipers, lights, emissions, nuthin

pafixitman

Reaction score
I'm trying to work my way through the safety inspection check list. Once I get tags, I only have 30 days to get it inspected. I don't have a lot of time to mess around fixing little things like the horn doesn't work. I need it to pass the first time. MD only lets you have one temp tag per vehicle so I can't even go pay again for a second temp. Just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's as I go now.

Get historic tags and run it a bit then flip to regular truck plates after you know it is good. No inspect required. Not like it is your dd.

I know somebody who went that route.... .

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought about that but the first thing it's going to do is probably hitch to a trailer. In a perfect world, that's exactly what I would have done.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Given the lowered, fart canned, flat black Civics w/ historic I pass on 795 everyday....I still don't think they are enforcing the law much. I drove from the mitten state with historic tags. Given the fact it was a complete restore I would not bother you even towing a trailer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, don't you love that?? My favorite are the loaded landscape trucks running around on historic tags. My luck, I'd get busted in the first 2 miles.