Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we made the maiden voyage today. It was not without its problems.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It does go. It does stop (poorly). The tcase is still a mess. I thought I had it fixed and now all I have is 4 hi I think. It's amazing the difference the 3.55 gears made. I can't get it out of low gear most of the time. Before I could get from second almost to third in the driveway. No rollover noise with trans in neutral but it sure growls in gear lugging around. Guess that's to be expected.

Brakes are terrible. I don't know if the lines need bled or if the booster is bad but they are really spongy. This is why we do ultra low speed shakedown runs right?

So a lot of things to sort out.

First thing up was the fuel pressure. What I didn't show was after turning around and coming back up the drive way it died right before the garage. Hopped out, looked, fuel pump was running but very quiet and no fuel pressure. Hmm. That will do it. I think it loosened the fitting going into the pump and it was sucking air. It was foaming out the schrader valve. I'm not sure how it was running at all. I think I have that remedied after all afternoon looking for it. I still don't have the fuel pressure I had before but good clean fuel out of the schrader valve now. I also in the process got my fuel selector valve to jive with the switch. I had them backwards before. I'll need to tidy that up again. After several diesel showers, I wasn't super careful about packaging them up. But it switches between tanks without a hiccup now.

I need to get my gauges in next. My factory oil pressure gauge is reading really high. I think the sender is not liking the way it's mounted. May not be grounded real well now. I am strongly considering the glow plug defeat mod again. I started it several times today with the gps unhooked even after setting for a couple hours. Barely cranked over and off she went without them.

So that's probably it for today. I'm beat and smell horrible of fuel.

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. :Thumbs Up

I figured that turbo would be a little louder at idle. What do you have for an exhaust?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. :Thumbs Up

I figured that turbo would be a little louder at idle. What do you have for an exhaust?
Right now, I have a down pipe. That's it. It whistles pretty good in the cab. Can't hear much of anything over the engine noise. LOL

I sure hope I can get it down to a dull roar. [emoji15]

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That trip right there was larger than the trip I recently took from Maine to Washington state as far as accomplishments!
I don't recall now but did you convert to hydroboost or retain the vacuum brakes?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hydroboost. I don't know if there is something wrong with the hydroboost or the brakes themselves. I need to get someone to help me bleed the brakes manually. I've only given them a quick vacuum bleed. That might be it. The hb, power steering pump and master cylinder are used. I find it interesting that seems like it turns easier to the right than to the left. It all may end up changed before it's over.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also randomly, the speedometer is not working. I probably pulled the cable out of the cluster. I'll check it before putting it back together.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple gratuitous pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also pulled this out today.

Haven't hooked it up yet other than to make sure it lights up. It's army surplus new in box. Everything was still bundled. The lens had popped off the back of the panel. I'll either glue it to the outside or leave it off. Either way, hope to try it out soon.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
On the fuel pressure, WOT im down to 3.5 - holly red runnin down the road empty.

Sweet lookin ride!!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I have found works really well to bleed the brakes. I hook up the vacuum bleeder, apply some vacuum and crack the bleeder screw. then I push the brake pedal through a couple full strokes, I do this with the truck running. the front generally goes quicker then the rear due to the length of the brake line.

I have had good results this way and it seems to be the fastest.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The growl (icechest sound lol) when lugging is pretty standard for most manual trans. The zf6 does it also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk