Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight, I pretty much buttoned up the front end. I installed the front shocks.

You must be registered for see images attach

I needed to loosen the drivers side mount plate to get the bolt through which is why I did this first. I knew it was going to be a little tough getting the bolts through.

Cut the U bolts off and torqued them and installed the steering stabilizer.

I added the black shock covers.

That's all I had in me after mowing. Torquing the ubolts laying on my back reminds me I'm not 20 anymore.

Think I've decided I'm going to skip the exhaust brake for now. I worked on piecing together parts for the exhaust. I need a 3 to 4" adapter and then possibly an elbow and a turndown.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. All I accomplished tonight was straightening this pipe out.

Tail pipe expander is handy. Some ******* had taken a outside coupler and made it an inside coupler. [emoji849]

So I'm standing here looking at this mess of stuff I've got trying to figure out if I can put an exhaust together. I think the minimum I need is a 90 a turndown and some hangers. I've got a 4" muffler. It's not very long but it has baffles in it. Being we are going to road trip this thing, I want a decent muffler so I don't have the drone. So if anyone has recommendations I'm all ears. I'll also probably put in a ball coupler for connection to the DP since it seems I may have a bit of an alignment issue toward the back.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the large strait through mufflers work decently. you could get a 3' long one and that should work good. I have seen them on some PSDs and they seem to be decent.

also keep in mind my muffler knowledge is on the low side.LOL

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big rig resonators work good.
I'm running an FTE corkscrew in my psd and I love it, it gets rid of 95% of the drone while letting the turbo whistle through.

You must be registered for see images

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mufflers I almost ordered a walker 21471 last night. It was the one that came recommended when I was researching mufflers last summer. I don't' have one now and get a bit of drone. Not much, but I'd prefer it being a little quieter for camp grounds and traveling in.

Getting close! To being a family hauler. :Thumbs Up

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The walker big truck muffler is the way to go.Built in resonator so there is no drone.Provides a nice deep tone but it's not going to make you sound like a teenagers truck when you step on it.:D There is no screaming and blat to it.Keeps both the sound and the EGT's down to reasonable levels.It's the best of both worlds muffler.

The BTM is a grown mans glass pack.:D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Big rig resonators work good.
I'm running an FTE corkscrew in my psd and I love it, it gets rid of 95% of the drone while letting the turbo whistle through.

You must be registered for see images
By FTE, the forum? Lol
BTM is liked by many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No muffler on mine and it's not loud (IMO). I bought a complete 4" stainless exhaust (with muffler), installed then removed muffler because it was too quiet.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No muffler on mine and it's not loud (IMO). I bought a complete 4" stainless exhaust (with muffler), installed then removed muffler because it was too quiet.

So says the feller between ages 17-20 (because they like loud exhaust)
and the feller between ages 65-90 (because they can no longer hear their exhaust)
For everyone between ages 20-64 there is the walker BTM.:D

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm straight piped N/A and the only drone I get is from the engine at cruise. But I'm also running dual 5" stacks and and extra 2-4 feet of pipe under the truck, lol.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the walker muffler tonight. Seems to be a lot of people saying good things about it so I jumped. I also ordered the matching psd cat delete pipe. That gives me the correct connector for down pipe and adapts me to 4". At $45 that saved me a bunch of adapters and a headaches. It should give me a little flexibility on angles and from there I should be able to piece it together. I picked up a turn down and once I figure out what angle I need, an elbow and some hangers should get me where I need to go on the exhaust side.

In the mean time, im trying to get the wiring buttoned up. I need a tap on the dash lights for the gauges so I pulled the wire out of the headlight switch.

For reference it's the blue/red wire.

I spliced in a tap with two legs. One for the dash pod and 1 for the overhead.

That gives me a little room to grow because I can double them up if need be later. I put the headlight switch back in. The genius PO put the damn wiper switch in upside down. That's why it never fit right and the dash is all broke there from it being forced in.

[emoji21]

Fits nice now. [emoji849]

Then I put together the harness for the overhead switches and gauges.

Still need to pull the wire for the power and lights up to the overhead and dash. Trying to decide if I should make them constant hot or key on. Leaning toward key on but I can see reasons to go both ways. Feel free to post your thoughts on that.

Still waiting on headliner samples.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you did a constant power I would make it all LED lights. the 2 banks gauges I have are LED and stay on all the time and I like that. my auto meter gauges don't have LED bulbs and it is on the list of things to do.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a separate wire for lights so they are dimmable. My gauges could be powered all the time I guess. But I wouldn't leave them lit up all the time. Too much battery draw. I was considering constant power for the switches more than anything else. Did I want to be able to turn stuff on without the key.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just saying, as you know LEDs don't draw much power. so it is a nice touch to have gauges that are lit all the time. the banks gauges are made to be that way from what I understood and I like it.

for the switches I would do a constant power. that is how I wired my plow truck. the panel is bright so it is hard to forget a light is on. the main feature to doing it this way is the truck doesn't have to be running to have the lights on. so I can have the truck off and leave the strobes on. all my strobes are LED so there is a very little draw. I have a total of 5 strobes, one light bar and 4 on each corner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online