Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today's theme was disappointment and frustration. About the only useful thing I accomplished today was this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Finally decide to just clean it up and paint it. Got nice stainless hardware for it and a gasket.

I have tried 3 different spring clamps and for one reason or another no good. Everything I touched was a mess. And insult to injury I found a spot on the edge of my door where the tape pulled a spot of paint off when I hung the fender. Hadn't seen it yet somehow. I had even done the stick it too me first trick. [emoji20]

It was not a good day.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
minor details, compared to say... a cracked block.
keep your chin up, better days are coming

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was considering a black stripe of bed liner for rock guard. Maybe it needs to go up a little higher.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today was not terribly productive. It was a long night with the kiddo last night.

Anyway, got the hood springs off and cleaned and painted.

They turned out pretty good.

I got the front diff cover installed.

I wasn't real happy with the way the gasket fit but it's all on there. I always butter both sides of the gasket lightly, then snug it up and let it sit for a while before I torque it down to final. It's always worked for me in the past.

I picked up a cheap dash mount 3 gauge pod. I don't love it but I think with a little work it will be serviceable. New turn signal switch and boost gauge arrived. I'd like to tackle the turn signal switch tomorrow and button the column up.

Found a brake line leak and corrected it I think. Have a different set of U bolts fingers crossed on that becoming a workable leaf spring clamps. Never dreamed this would be such a nightmare. Fingers crossed.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got you first ding out of the way. You are still making some killer progress!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
It's actually the second. 2x3 falling into the hood was the first. They should get easier right?

I think a little touch up paint on a brush will take care of it. Or a ********* stripe.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What seems to be the issue with the spring clamps?
My earlier question, I meant to clarify. The spring to axle ubolts? Or the spring pack clamps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spring clamps. My original out at the front of the pass side front was mangled when I tore the spring pack down.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today was slightly more productive. I got the brackets cut down for the IC

Turn signal switch installed and the column bolted back up.

In case you are wondering, if you depin the connector by removing the red plastic do-dad and release the pins, the harness will slip right through the tilt column. For posterity, there is the plug assembled so the wire locations are shown.

Put all that together and now the turn signal part works like it's supposed to but the hazards still didn't work. So I went to my manual and started digging. The fuse (#1) was dead. Book says powered by fusible link. [emoji849]

So up under the hood I had found this when I cut the harness down.

Just like that. Hanging off the harness. You guessed it. Jumped power to it and now the hazards work and the brake lights will probably work now too because they are on the same fuse. There are 3 other fusible links. 1 (red) is supposed to be for the trailer brake control. 1 yellow for the trailer running light relay and a second yellow that I have yet to sort out. Trying to decide if I am going to delete it all and put in fuses and if so where. I was planning on putting the trailer wiring over on the drivers side. I could just run a hot line over there and fuse it I suppose. Trying to declutter things in the pass front corner as there is a lot going on there now.

On a sad note, I lost one of the guys who taught me a lot and was a really big influence on my work this morning. Cancer sucks.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today's theme was disappointment and frustration. About the only useful thing I accomplished today was this.

Finally decide to just clean it up and paint it. Got nice stainless hardware for it and a gasket.

I have tried 3 different spring clamps and for one reason or another no good. Everything I touched was a mess. And insult to injury I found a spot on the edge of my door where the tape pulled a spot of paint off when I hung the fender. Hadn't seen it yet somehow. I had even done the stick it too me first trick. [emoji20]

It was not a good day.

I wanted to send this to you a while back and it slipped my mind. Found a good deal on (eye candy "bling bling") polished aluminum Dana 60 front cover from Summit. I bought one then had it powdercoated with clear to protect the finish and allow the unending oil drips from the greasy pig living above it, to wash off easily. Haven't installed yet. It was less than $100.00.