Newbie with an oddball project...Farm Rod.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Spring is almost here!!

Time to rejuvenate this thread... the long dark cold nights are almost over and its making me want to get back into this project.

For those that didn't see my other thread; I bought a 1986 crew cab dually that is turbod and has a GV overdrive. It has been my daily driver for about two months now. The plan is to steal the Gear Vendors, guages, wheels and tires from the 1986 and use them on project '57 IH.:sly

It actually saves me a few $$ in the long run. The truck also has a newish pump and injectors. I can't decide if I should take the good stuff off and scrap the truck or try and sale it as a runner for cheap.

If all goes well I plan on having this truck licensed by May. (My wonderful wife gave me a set of 1957 plates for x-mas! :thumbsup:)

Updates and pictures to come soon!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I had been wondering what was going with this - I figured it was the winter time temps that was a hold back. I know here I have no desire to be outside when the temps are down...

Where's my global warming the Algore promised me...

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Just got through reading all this and im green with envy, not just cause of your project (although its a big contributor), but all the other sweet builds that are going on here.

Sucks having to save all my money for college next year, but I think waiting 10 more years or so to settle down before digging into a project this intense will make it that much better!

Keep up the amazing work!!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
More Binders.

1st time I have read this thread, freakin' awesome!!:hail Check out my "lawn ornament" and my "project". Can't wait untill I can provide "a little less talk, and a lot more action" in regards to my wrenching. It is a pleasure to see the progress of your build. Good luck racing also. ;SweetMotocross has been in my blood since a young age. Only raced a few times, but love to ride and plan on having my 12yr old race this year which means I can race 30+/vet class.:sly Keep the pics coming, nice work.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Progress is starting to happen again!!

After the longest coldest never ending winter in the history of this valley summer finally arrived...around June 1st.cookoo

Now that I have caught up on honey-do's I am putting my efforts back into the '57. I spent one day modifying my sandblaster (cheap HF unit) which has worked real well. No clogs. Real good consistent feed all the time now!:D

Here is the hood that I put off blasting last year. The previous owner (PO) had used stripper to peel the paint off most of the hood and front fenders with no follow up plan. Like primer or somethin'...so he just let it rust. The rust is MUCH harder to remove than the paint, especially where the pitting has occurred.:dunno
You must be registered for see images attach

Me workin' on it. There is A LOT OF SURFACE area on one of these hoods!! I was able to hit it for a few hours every night after work this week, so I have about 6+ hours into blasting this thing!! Must be love...:rotflmao

Almost done!

I hope to spend a good part of the long weekend sorting the wiring and getting the motor fired up while I am waiting for primer and paint to dry. Really starting to get an itch to drive it!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
1st time I have read this thread, freakin' awesome!!:hail Check out my "lawn ornament" and my "project". Can't wait untill I can provide "a little less talk, and a lot more action" in regards to my wrenching. It is a pleasure to see the progress of your build. Good luck racing also. ;SweetMotocross has been in my blood since a young age. Only raced a few times, but love to ride and plan on having my 12yr old race this year which means I can race 30+/vet class.:sly Keep the pics coming, nice work.

I'm riding 40+ class. Still managing to beat a lot of younger guys. Managed a first in class at the Sagerider Nationals and 10th overall in "C" against a field of about 115.

Didn't fare so well at the 50th anniversary Cherry Creek National, but somebody took this cool pic of me:

Enjoy the riding with your son!! I know some of my best memories are going out exploring the desert; first with my dad, then with my boy (He's 18 now and finds girls more fun than riding with pops:rolleyes:)

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first time reading this thread and I must say well done, sir! :thumbsup:

That's a heckuva project you've got there. I hope you'll be able to complete it by the end of the summer.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks like a good project.
But i hope you are using a OSHA approved resperator for silica. That CHIT can be deadly!!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Looks like a good project.
But i hope you are using a OSHA approved resperator for silica. That CHIT can be deadly!!

LOL I was wonderin' if anybody would catch that!!

When the picture was taken there was a 25-30 mph wind sucking the dust away before it could get to me.;Sweet

Also I am using Green Diamond Sand which contains no free silica. http://www.greendiamondsand.com/abrasives.html