Newbie with an oddball project...Farm Rod.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Hi all... this is my first post here at oilburners. I will start out by explaining my project; then ask for your valued input. (I've been lurking here for a while.)

I recently stumbled on an old rotten motorhome on a local lemon lot. I didn't think much of it when I first saw it, but then I noticed it had a "Turbo Diesel" badge on the side.... hmm. Turns out that it had been a factory 6.9L IDI in 1985, but in 1992 or so the guy replaced the motor with a 1987 6.9L IDI and added an ATS turbo. The motor has about 40K on it and the turbo about 10k, so I bought it just for the motor and chassis. I drove it home and it ran out pretty good. I tinkered with it a bit and it always started real easy.

Pic after I tore the home part away:
You must be registered for see images

Turbo:

I have owned a few 50's era trucks and have grown rather fond of them; so I started hunting for one to fit up to the E-350 chassis. As luck would have it I ran into a beautiful (to me) 1957 International S-112 that was in very good shape and the price was right! Plus the IH motor and cab combo seemed like a good idea!
I dragged her home and started to work:

The body is actually very solid. All those layers of paint kept the metal healthy all these years.

After taking the van cab away and lifting the IH cab up into a tree in the back yard (No shop yet.) I started fitting things up. I have raised and lowered the cab on and off at least 50 times. Here is a shot of how it will sit:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the 6.9L under the hood:

I have been sandblasting the floor and firewall so that I can get the cab mounted without having to worry about pulling it off again to paint. The bottom of this thing is just like new. No cancer except one tiny patch in one cab corner which was easily fixed.

Here is what the inside of the cab is looking like with the 6.9L in there!

I am building a custom firewall that will unbolt for easy access to the motor when the time comes:

Today I bolted the cab down permanently for the first time. I also mounted the power brake unit and master cylinder- brakes work good!! I spent wayyy too much time working on the steering column and shaft. I ended up ordering a u-joint to replace the rag joint and make it all work. (I hope)

I saved the throttle pedal out of the van, but it doesn't look like it will work. The throttle cable seems way to short so I might head over to the junkyard tomorrow to see if one from a truck will fit. The end looks like any gasser type end. It should work, right??

The wiring will be the next biggest obstacle. I have access to good color wiring diagrams. I plan to strip the stock harness down to the bare essentials and rewire the entire thing. My goal is to try and reuse as much of the stock electrics from the Ford as I can. The '57 was originally wired for 6 volts.

My reason for starting this thread was to share my project, (hopefully of interest to you) and to use it as a base (with background) to ask questions as they come up. Any ideas and input is welcome. I firmly believe that the more minds working on something the better it will turn out.

The 6.9L is backed by a C-6 transmission. The rear axle is a Dana 60 or 70- I haven't checked the tag yet. My goal is to have a classy truck that gets decent gas mileage and is paid for. (One out of three so far ;Sweet)

Corey H.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
welcome to the site.
way cool project.;Sweet
wiring these motors is easy. they don't require much.
you will need wiring for the cold idle circuit, the power to the injection pump and the wiring for the alternator.
good time to convert to 12v too.
the rest you would be better off going to aftermarket gauges.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Very nice!

Looks like some nice fab work as well. Keep up the pictures. There is a 50's dodge for sale in very good shape near me, I now have an extra 6.9 sitting around...:)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We sometimes have guys that post Ebay trucks of that era and dream about dropping an IDI in it but you are the first we have here that actually did it;Sweet

:hail:hail:hail:hail:hail

Glad to have you here!

Hope you left your self enough room for the turbo pack up on the rear of the engine. Will you have enough room to remove it without lifting the cab?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best site for theidi motors. Great project you have there. What will be the color when you are done... Don't make it blue... We have way too many blue trucks here...:rotflmao

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
first off - welcome... secondly... yeowozza... VERY COOOLL!!!! I have actually been dreaming about here lately doing something very close to what you are doing.... hat's off to ya buddy!!!!

Another note about Gary "ICANFIXALL" YES you are so correct about the color........ hee hee heee...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
first off - welcome... secondly... yeowozza... VERY COOOLL!!!! I have actually been dreaming about here lately doing something very close to what you are doing.... hat's off to ya buddy!!!!

Another note about Gary "ICANFIXALL" YES you are so correct about the color........ hee hee heee...

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the best site for theidi motors. Great project you have there. What will be the color when you are done... Don't make it blue... We have way too many blue trucks here...:rotflmao

Whats wrong with blue? haha jk. That will be one awesome ride when your done man. glad to see an IDI swap.