My first filtration rig... wmo processor

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's a 2" gas water pump, might be 1.5", from Harbor Freight. Pumps nice and quickly. I've been meaning to get some more hose for either end, install shut off valves, ant drain back valves, and get an auto shut off nozzle like fuel stations. I also want to have a filter bypass just for transferring so i don't kill filters. I also want to get a meter to keep track of fuel consumed.

I tried various different electric pumps and I have found this to be the quickest.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filter with a gas pump, filters over 100 gallons in less than a half hour. Beats the hell out of those Parker Filter carts! LOL

I doubt your system is any more efficient or easier to use than this setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

When using a filter cart, the oil is taken from a dirty sump, filtered and returned to the dirty sump. The cleanliness of the filtered oil is diluted, so to speak, by the dirty oil residing in the tank. To overcome the dilution effect, the tank volume must pass through the filter approximately seven times to achieve the equivalent of single-pass filtration (where the oil is pumped from one container to another through a filter).

For example, if you have a 30-gallon tank and a filter cart that pumps at 5 gallons per minute (gpm), you need to run the cart for 42 minutes to equal single-pass filtration (30 gallons multiplied by 7, divided by 5 gpm). If you want to achieve two-pass filtration, you must engage the offline filter for 82 minutes or about an hour and a half.

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like those carts... have used one at work a few times.... however I dont see spending anywhere near that for a filtration device worth it. Migjt as well go with a fuge which you could buy 5+ for the cost of one of those carts and not have any filters to ever replace...

A very nice feature of the gas powered pump is it being self powered... great for collection!

As far as filtration goes... I'll stick to my gravity setup until I buy a 'fuge. I'm in no hurry and I plan ahead.... process several days before actually needing it... I start the process anat night and come morning, Ive got 50+ gallons ready to go.... simple and cheap.

-Chris

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I need to do is put gas in it, stick the hoses in the tanks and turn on the pump. Doesn't get much easier. As I stated mine is a LOT faster than 5gpm. I use two holding tanks and filter twice with a 10 micron ffilter. I have run hundreds of gallons through a single filter and I still have excellent flow. Best of all I have well under $500 in my set up, it's portable and doesn't require electricity. Time is money. I don't want to nor do I have the time to be standing around filtering for hours. Spending thousands on processing fuel defeats one of the main reasons of using WMO. resale on something like that is low I'd have to imagne vs a water pump

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Wanted to see how it was going to react to the cold... well today I got my chance. Wind chill was 24* F and the truck was in direct wind all day while at work (8hrs and had only been driven a mile or so prior)

I decided not to plug in while at work and from now on I will be... lol. The truck fired fine... sputtered a bit and didnt like it for the first 20-30seconds.. but what I really didnt like is the extended length of time it took to build oil pressure... a few seconds longer then normal which I dont care for... May even consider switching to a thinner oil for the winter months because of this.

My truck (as far as work goes), only gets driven a little over a mile to work and back... it doesnt reach opperating temp through-out the work week however I do drive it on the weekends too which it stays at opp. temp for a good while.

Anyways... more to come soon... still on a 50/50 blend and probably wont go any further until it warms up... might lighten it up a bit actually just for the cold months... we'll see though as this tank runs through.

-Chris

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,
If you put even just a gallon of gas into your mix, it'll thin it considerably and help you out with the cold weather starting. That said, I wouldn't put the gas directly into the tank since it'll likely make some dirt fall out of suspension UNLESS you're about to run down the road and burn up a good portion of fuel. In that case, the little bit of sludge that would've separated will probably burn up before it gets the chance.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm blending RUG in my filtration process... my current blend is 50/50 in the fuel tank... thats 50% w~90 (90% wmo, 10% rug) and 50% #2 pump diesel. I do plan to add a bit more RUG to my next blend to thin it out a bit more...

I noticed that even when plugged in at work, when the truck starts, it sputters a little.. it fires instantly but sputters a little bit and smokes a good bit. I really need to bump the timing up a bit too.

I'm planning on adding an oil pan heater to my 4bt and picking up a tank style block heater... I'll run them both through-out the winter. I think my main issue is the fact that I only drive a mile to work so there is no way the truck even gets remotely warm.

I'm gonna pick up the oil pan heater this weekend I think
-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question...

How many benefits are there to preheating the fuel before burning... such as using a coolant type heat exchanger before the fuel filter/IP to preheat the oil... would it burn cleaner/easier? Would it help smoke?

Would it cause issues come summertime?

I'm looking at a 20 plate heat exchanger to add to my fuel system... Now that I'm up to the 50/50 blend... I dont want to drop back below it... so I want to run 50/50 year round and even plugging in at night, I'm still seeing a lot of haze at cold idle and a slightly rougher start then running straight #2... just a quick stumble... still fires isntantly...

Also keep in mind... this is a 4bta cummins... no glowplugs.... no grid heater... no starting aid other then the stock 750w block heater

Anyways... input?
-Chris

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have a plate heat exchanger under my hood and it helps a lot with your engines ability to burn cleanly. i was able to run 100% WMO when the engine warmed up. my biggest problem was getting the thicker mixtures to pump. with the fuel plate heater my engine burned it if i could get it there!

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subway, when you have RUG in your mix do you still run it through the heat exchanger? I've read where folks theorize that it'll vapor lock but haven't seen where anyone's actually tried it.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting the oil warmed up invites water after it cools down. condensation, try fuel line heaters the ones that wrap around the injector lines. for cold climates.
Also you can use Racor filter housings that kill a few birds with one stone, they have a built in fuel heater so that you can pump oil into your injection pump in cold climates.

javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online