My first filtration rig... wmo processor

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. after my last post, I drove the truck out on the interstate... came up to a grade and got on it pretty good and it just died... coasted to the side of the road and started checking things over...

the fuse for the fuel cut-off solenoid had blown and the socket had been hot. Might have been an issue there before that I just didnt know about causing a slight mis and poor running. I'll find out more this afternoon for sure.

-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a little while since I updated...

I fixed my fuel solenoid issue and then ran into tranny problems... Kinda got that worked out for the time being and am back to working on my wmo setup. I'm working on getting the truck to stop hazing all the time at the moment and get it running back on straight d2 before adding my heat exchanger and bumping the timing up.

Ive got a small scale colletion setup built... using a 55 gal. drum on its side that fits nicely in the rear of the tahoe and a sbc pump with a 1/2" cordless drill. Works ok for now but I'm planning on stepping up a bit on the pump or reworking my pump a bit. Might pick up a cheap 1/2" drill and power inverter so I dont have to worry about batteries (typically takes 3 full batteries to fill the drum.

Anyways, I'll try and get some pics up of the collection setup soon. Right now, I'm focusing on getting rid of the haze.

-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. its got some work to be done yet... but I basically finished my transport rack that fits in the back of my tahoe...

You must be registered for see images attach

So far, I think it will work nicely. I want to paint the frame and mount my pump to it... I'll also mount a 5 gallon overflow/vent tank to the frame... that way I dont have to worry about knowing how full the drum is... once its full, it'll flow out the overflow/vent tube into a see-thru 5 gallon container. Should keep things clean and simple.

Anyways... I'm probably done spending money on this for a little bit as I'm in need of a transmission... need to get one picked up soon as mine is on its way out.

-Chris

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to mount that in the back of your 'Ho?

How do you plan to fill it?

Steel drums are not designed to be on their side.

That's not even close to being legal. You're even advertising "PULL ME OVER!!"

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the other side of the fence and I like it, it sounds like it's a well thought plan of making do with what you have.

As for being illegal, there's nothing illegal about carrying a drum inside of an SUV, whether it's horizontal, vertical, or diaganol. As for being pulled over for it, I doubt that you can even see it from outside of the truck and even then, there's no probable cause for pulling someone over for having a drum in their vehicle. If nothing else, throw a blanket over it and call it even. I also don't think you'll have a problem with it being on it's side, liquids are commonly transported like that and the drums are none the worse for wear.

Since it has two ports on top, I'm guessing that you're going to use one for filling it up and the other for your overflow tube? Is the bottom valve for emptying it when you get back to the shop?

Like I said, looks like a well thought out solution to me.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drum is a liquid storage drum... Its fully sealed as far as having no lid.... just the bungs on the lid

Out of curiosity... why do they make horizontal drum racks if drums arnt designed to be used horizontally as well as vertically?

http://www.zorinmaterial.com/produc...?product=986&gclid=CIXaxf-16rQCFQRnOgodkQ0AIw

Anyways...

The center port will be tied to my pump (drill powered sbc pump)... the port closest to the end will feed into an overflow/vent bottle... and the 1" ballvalve is for drainage.

For safety sake, All the ports are welded and epoxied... the large bung is also welded shut and epoxied. The eye bolts used for tiedown are rated at 290# each and the straps are rated for 500# each. The tahoe has tie downs in the back so the whole thing can be strapped down if need be. All of the back glass of the tahoe is tinted dark so even seeing the barrel would be hard to do... but I'm pretty certain there isnt anything illegal about it. If there is, please explain.

Anyways... it should work nicely but we'll see.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to post some pics of that Tahoe, from the specs it sounds pretty good.
Nice job on the barrel.
Just a comment on the legality of that, if it's in the back of a Tahoe no one would see it??? correct???

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few... not clean at all but it gets the job done...

Motor...

4" exhaust...

I'm working on getting another trans so I can drive it without being worried about the poor 4l60e spilling its guts all over the pavement... we'll see
-Chris

Smoky12v

Reaction score
In my opinion you should work on get a 4L80E swapped in as I have hard time to see how the 4L60E can handle the diesel power in long run.

Otherwise I like it :D

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Are you going to have a mat down in case the valves weap a little?

Who are you trying to fool? That Cummins swap looks extremely clean!

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4l80e is what I'm hoping to get picked up saturday morning... coming from a 97' k3500 dump truck... has 100k on the clock from what the guys says and shifted good... is coming with the converter and the bw4470 transfercase for 350... we'll see if it works out or not. Cant really afford to get screwed at this point so hopefully the guys being straight about it.

I cant wait til' warm weather rolls back around where I can actually work on my projects... lol
-Chris

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the words of Chris Farley after the deer tore up his car, "thats awesome".;Sweet
I'll bet a lot of guys look twice when they hear a diesel sound from that vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger