My first filtration rig... wmo processor

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please elaborate?

How will I picking up sludge off the bottom of the barrel? The inlet to the bung on the bottom of the barrel is a good 4" off the floor of the drum... using a pipe inside...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for the craptastic drawing... but thats basically it.

Will this cause me issues or am I missing something? I thought that would allow plenty of room for settling... I wont be processing large amounts at a time so the barrel will get drained/cleaned every few hundred gallons

Thanks
-Chris

Sorry, I meant if you were pumping the first tank that sucks off the bottom through filters into the second tank.

That should be enough settle distance for only 50 gallon amounts.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem man... thanks for the concern.

I'm really hoping I can start filtering tomorrow night... I'll bring home a few more barrels for clean storage and to start building my transport rig...

Planning on building a hitch mount carrier for 1 or 2 of these drums with a pump and the hoses...

we'll see
-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil is flowing finally... I dont have everything permanently mounted... but its working so far. The temp in the garage isnt helping things along much.. but its slowly filling my storage drum.

Then I got a wild hair and decided to paint my workbench that I'm using for this... and figured out shortly there after that I'd have to move some stuff to do it right... but its a start..

Once this batch is done, I'll clear off the bench and paint it completely... should help spot leaks and what have you easier (not that its all that hard to begin with... but I think it looks better anyways)

Currently gravity is doing its job and I'm filtering at 2 micron. If this works out, I'll pick up a 'fuge from PABiodiesel to add into my rig... would probably still filter everything down and then use the 'fuge on what is now the storage barrel... we'll see.

-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... I greatly increased my waste oil storage capacity tonight... picked this up from a local.

Brought it home for $50... couldn't pass it up. Now I've just gotta get a "tight head" 55gallon drum and I'll be set for the time being. Working on finding another tote but we'll see... this should be plenty for now.

As far as the drum goes... I'm wanting to mount it horizontal and have my system pump into it instead of the plastic drum its going into now. I'm planning on using a spigot on the 55 gallon along with a 3/4" barbed fill port mounted on the side. That way the barrel could pretty well be sealed to the elements (exept for a filtered vent) and would allow me to quickly fill fuel cans from it making it easy to keep track of my mixutres, etc.

Baiscally, I'd be going from my final 2 micron filter into a sealed 55 gallon drum mounted horizontal with a spigot for filling fuel cans which would eliminate the need for yet another pump.

We'll see what happens I suppose.

-Chris

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Looks like a good set up. I would have added a water drain to the bottom of your filter barrel to buy you some time between cleanings.

I have access to totes similar to the one you got but i don't have a garage to put them in... :(

For a transfer pump i modified a high flow chevy small block oil pump and run it with a cordless drill. It is self-priming and moved quite a bit of oil.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking into the sbc oil pump setup and was planning on picking one up friday. As far as the water issue goes, I plan on using the large tank as my settle tank since it has a large valve on the bottom already. I'll pump off the top into the little drum on my workbench and process 50gal. at a time as needed. That should help with the cleanouts also and keep water transfer to a minimum.

As far as tote storage goes... I'll be keeping mine behind my shop and just plumbing inside. I dont have the room for them either inside, however, they will only be storing used oil so I figure it wont hurt anything to leave them out.

Planning on running my first 5 gallon (20% w85/ 80% diesel) come friday to see how this motor likes it.

-Thanks guys
-Chris

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
So i have a question for all of you WMO processors. I resently assembled a WMO processing rig and i have a filtration question. I was going to post under the WMO thread but i havent seen it covered yet. I grabed an old toilet paper oil filter set up that has been kicking arround the shop forever and rigged it up to start filtering WMO. I'm cutting my oil with some leftover race gas from a dunes trip. Im currently pumping from a 30 gal settling barrel through a jeep oil pump in my drill press. Im pulling through a catz 1000watt block heater to the pump, then to a ph8 oil filter then to my TP filter. What im cuirous of, and hopefully some of you old timers that remeber these TP filters can answer, what mircon am I really filtering down to. I have herd that the TP filter will actuall remove additives such as viscosity modifiers and such from the oil, and it does. It visibly cleans the oil taking it from BLACK to a nice lagger color (about sam adams boston), so i know its filtering but should i be running somthing on the back side of it, and if so what should i run. Thanks

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on micron however I've heard great things about those tp filters in my research... and they are cheap enough to refill... lol

-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new processed oil storage drum today and got it most the way setup...

For filling fuel cans...

Vent and Fill Ports

And after lifting the start barrel a bit, it will be still be gravity fed...

I also tested my large storage tank for leaks tonight and it looks to be good to go... and I got around to pumping some of the finshed product into a 5gal. fuel can so I can run it tomorrow with a full tank of #2 (should be pretty well 20% w85/ 80% #2)

Anyways... its slowly getting to where I want it... and my garage is a disaster area at the moment... but its getting there.

More to come soon.
-Chris

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,
Run your vent back to the barrel you are pumping from. If you over flow that barrel, it will just drain back. Also rug and silicone do not mix.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... thats what I was seeing the bio guys use... what would you suggest for a liquid sealer that is fuel proof?

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... thats what I was seeing the bio guys use... what would you suggest for a liquid sealer that is fuel proof?
I've been trying to figure that out too. I would assume RTV like we use on motors should work but I'd be interested in hearing others opinions.
Awesome rig. Wish I had a garage of my own to use (I rent). I just got mine going, going to fill my front tank with w85 whenever the rain lets up.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... Im using red rtv....

As far as work space... this setup is stuffed in a 15x10 area built off my garage that was stuffed full of project parts.. now those are in my garage floor. Needless to say... Ive got a mess to clean up once this is all done

-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question... how are you guys keeping track of your blends? Are you blending at home or what? Ive got a single tank setup... Just trying to figure out how you all that are still blending with #2 keep track in a single tank.