Know anyone at Holley?

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
just an fyi for every one. this is what happens when the seal fails on a holley blue electric pump. dam thing was on fire internally :puke:. thought i was going to lose the truck, i was like :***:, then :eek: , this is me trying to get it off the truck:frustrate , then realizing holleys warranty is only 90 days from date of purchase ;Pissed.

cliff notes:

fuel seal failed
pump filled with diesel
pump tried to burn down my truck

Attachments

• MVC-455S.JPG
    MVC-455S.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 15
  • MVC-456S.JPG
    MVC-456S.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • MVC-457S.JPG
    MVC-457S.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 5
  • MVC-458S.JPG
    MVC-458S.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
  • MVC-459S.JPG
    MVC-459S.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 11
  • MVC-460S.JPG
    MVC-460S.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 9
  • MVC-461S.JPG
    MVC-461S.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 6

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for this timely posting. I see you have the later pump with the funny top "floating bearing. I'm dumping my and going with the Carrier pump. If it works well for the diesel refers it will work fine for me. Funny how yours and mine both broke down and having the same top floating bearing... I wonder if thats where the problem is.... I know my other Holley Red lasted several 100 thousands miles trouble free and it didn't have the top floating bearing....

diesel4me2

Reaction score
I see you have the later pump with the funny top "floating bearing. when did they switch styles?

I'm dumping my and going with the Carrier pump. i have a moose pump turned up all the way, can the carrier keep up? i run the holley at 9 pounds

Funny how yours and mine both broke down and having the same top floating bearing... I wonder if thats where the problem is... hmmmmm, i'll keep you posted as to what i find out from holley.

a guy i work with says he knows the family well enough to give them a call for me and ask ***? we'll see what he has to say

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is a reason iam considering a air dog and yes i know i might not need it but it will probly last longer.. and maby other good reasons but idk ill have to findout;)

diesel4me2

Reaction score
update

so i spoke with holley, they informed me that their pumps rated for diesel were their "marine grade" and "black" line of pumps. both cost about the same, but i couldn't bring my self to buy another blue. no matter what they said they did to it to make it marine grade.

so i got the black, now my only question is, do i run it unregulated at 14 psi, or tone it down to about 10?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, Man o man. That is scary! I've had my Red on the truck for three years without issue, but it sounds like a Black pump may be the way to go eh? That or try the carter.

As far as the pressure goes. Mel has done some testing on inlet pressure and it's effect on pump timing. And, by the time the inlet pressure was only 9 psi, the pump had gain a full degree advance in timing and it gets worse from there.

HERE is the post. I regulate it to 5-7 psi based on the info Mel gained from that testing.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, The pressure will drop some with WFO, but 5 psi is plenty.;Sweet Where was the pump mounted? In the usual spot on the driver's framerail in front of the tank valve? Not mounted horizontal or anyting?

Heath

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Wow this is crazy. Now you got me worried about my pump that I put in my brown truck. This would be just my luck, the damn thing would catch fire on me but in my case it would take the whole truck with it. That's BS that they are saying "we don't garantee our pumps for diesel". I know lots of guys that run holley non "marine" pumps with kerosene and metyl alcohol. Sounds to me they are just using that excuse to keep the lawyers off their ass.