I've got some problems guys

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I've had the opposite experience, Nebraska. I kept replacing NAPA batteries in my truck every 6 months or so, then switched to interstate. I've had that same interstate battery in this truck for 6 years now without having to replace it. Cranks fine too. My car has a Duralast in it, but that's just turning over a little 2.8 v6, and i've only had it for about 2 years now, but it seems to be good.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay the turbo is practically back in but I need a little help from you guys. First off which bolts on the turbo when loosened will allow me to adjust the intake housing? I lost the two bolts that bolt the turbo pedistal to the intake manifold, what size are they? Thats it, its so close to being on the road again ;Sweet.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I can't remember off the top of my head what size the pedestal to maniforl bolts are, but once toy figure it out, make sure to get bolts long enough to where they go all the way to the end of the holes . Those things can pull the threads out of the manifold if too short

SKimballC

Reaction score
Justin, those bolts are 5/16"-18 x 1 3/4". Here's the layout. Most hardware stores don't have 1 3/4" so you may need to buy 5/16" x 2" and some washers.
Instead of loosening either of the exhaust housings, what I prefer is to slide the studs on the underside of the turbo onto the pedestal, but don't put the 2 nuts on. You can then pull the turbo up to put the intake hat on, then drop it all down, put the nuts on the studs, the bolt in the intake hat, the connect your up-pipe, downpipe, oil feed, intake. And go.
Of course, if you need to clock the housings your in for a real treat, but the rebuilder should have set it back up the same.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bolted it as close as I could, I just bolted the housings onto his NEW cartridge. I lined it up with my turbo but I think they all need to wiggle a little.
clock it with a few bolts snug, lift it off then tighten them to 18 ft lbs, good and snug with a short wrench.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well it is completly in guys ;Sweet. Man am I happy its all over with. I do have an oil leak where the turbo bolts to the turbo pedistal, I cant get to one of the bolts to tighten it up, so I'm going to have to go to town and buy a rachet wrench set so I can tighten it up. It was a really bad leak, like I just started it up for the first time and went to check if everything was ok, and oil was just pouring out from that area. I managed to tighten up those bolts so that it is now just a drip....drip.....drip... thing, but I need to get some rachet wrenches so I can get in there to tighten it up. Other than that all is good, but sadly, no more sweet turbo whistle at idle. I guess thats the sound of the bearings failing in one of our turbos :D.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might check to make sure the oring isnt pinched. Did you have to take it off the pedestal.?
Your whistle will come back as it loosens up.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I mounted the pedistal, and then put the turbo onto the pedistal. I hope that the oring isnt pinched, I hope. When I was tightening the bolts they seemed fairly loose, but I just couldnt tighten the one towards the passenger side anymore, I can almost get on it with a wrench, but it will slip off. So thats were a rachet wrench would come in handy (I need a set of them anyways). Hopefully the turbo whistle will come back, I went back around to the exhaust and put my ear up to it and could just barely hear a faint turbo whistle sound in there, but nothing like before.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Another thing about the turbo, do I have to break it in? I mean should I let it idle for 15 minutes to let it loosen up a little bit before I drive? Or can I just start it up, hit the road, and get on it like I used to? If there is a break in, what is it?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATS instructions on the the non gated said you should fast idle it about 5 minutes after you have good oil pressure before you drive it. I don't know why it would be different for the gated version.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would drive it easy for a little while till the parts get to know each other better

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I dont understand why your turbo is so quiet now. Dont get me wrong, I was the one to say that they get loud when there's something wrong. But seriously, it should be louder than that if you ask me, because my moms 94 with that same factory turbo on it you can hear a little whistle from at idle, with the muffler, and with the stock exhaust housing. It's probably just the fact that its not broken in yet.