I've got some problems guys

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I would say its just because it needs to be broken in. When I first got it from Russ the other day I went home and checked for shaft play, and there was practically none, like 1/64" shaft play hardly any. So I'm sure it will take some time for the bearings to get worn in and it to loosen up. I hope I get my old turbo whistle back, but I wont hold my breath.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin-

Screw the whistle for a moment- it doesn't make it go any faster. How's the boost? As long as it's oiled up good, you should be able to go out and put the pedal to the floor. Just be sure not to shut it off hot- let it idle down to about 300-350°EGT before you shut it down.

I've installed like 3 different turbos on my Supra over the years, and as soon as they're oiled up from idling for a few minutes, and the engine is at operating temp I've boosted right off the bat with no ill effects. Those spin up to 25psi and like 1550° EGT too...so they are under greater stress than the lower speed and lower EGT a turbo on an old IDI will see...

Ryan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that the turbo timer MFGs use the post turbo EGT number of ~300 for a safe shutdown is this correct? I always wait till mine is at least <350 on the hot side before it gets cutoff. A little more cooldown time perhaps if its been run really hard.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cooler the better for sure. Keep in mind though, that gassers run WAY hotter, even at idle. Shoot, my Supra idles at 650°! Anything below 400 is good pre-turbo, and 300 post. I can let the Supra idle all day long and not get it below 650, so I let the turbo timer do the calculating for me. (that one works on injector duty cycle over a given period of time)

Ryan

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Another update, it threw me another curveball. I was kinda pissed that it was leaking oil, but I got with it. I took the turbo off again, and put the studs in the turbo where it mounts to the turbo pedistal. I then re-installed it and got it tightened down as good as I could. I fired it up for a good 5 mintues and let it idle inside the shop (used a hose up the pipe to redirect exhaust gases out of the shop though). All was good, and I even got my turbo whistle back ;Sweet, hopefully that is a good thing :D. Anyways it had been snowing off and on this last week, so when I opened the shop door there was a good 3 feet of snow that had fallen off the roof onto the ground. So I shoveled it out until it was about a foot deep. By this time my truck had been idleing for a good 10 minutes, and was up to operating temp. So I threw it into 4 wheel drive and backed out of the shop. I then parked just out of the shop, so I could take a final look around to make sure all was good when it was idling. Much to my suprise there is this oil leaking off of the starter, onto one of the up-pipes, and onto the snow. So I got pissed off, said some things, and got back to work while in the snow. I can not for the life of me find a oil leak on the turbo, none whatsoever. I checked practically everywhere, but no oil leak. So I figured I had a leak where the turbo pedistal goes into the valley pan, so I cleaned all the oil out of that thinking maybe it was just that oil that was left over sitting there from when it was first leaking oil. Cleaned it all up, nice and dry, and fired the truck back up for another minute. Nothing, all is still dry.

So where do you guys think this could be coming from? It seems not to be coming off of the turbo where I looked/felt, but maybe I missed something. Is there a specific area that I should look at. My friends invited me to go play up in the snow tommorow afternoon, and I would really, reallly like to go, but I have to fix this first.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Most likely it's just some that got slopped around while doing the work. It can take a while for it to all drip off, especially if it
s cold out. If it's not dripping anymore,you should be good to go.
If you want to make sure , get some simple green and with the engine cold, spray it down good, especially downthe back of the engine , let it sit a few minutes and then hose it off to get the rest of the residue off so you
'll be able to tell if there's any leak left.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well thats the thing, if I shut it off, the leak will stop in a minute or two. But when I turn it back on within the first 45 seconds of running I can see oil start coming down the starter and start dripping, so it seems to be doing it when its running, which makes me think that there is a leak somewhere.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
Well thats the thing, if I shut it off, the leak will stop in a minute or two. But when I turn it back on within the first 45 seconds of running I can see oil start coming down the starter and start dripping, so it seems to be doing it when its running, which makes me think that there is a leak somewhere.

Check the oil sending unit and the pedestal it mounts to on the back of the engine. Remove both and rap with Teflon (plumbing) tape and re-install. Keep in mind that the oil pressure gauge may not work or work erratically due to the poor ground caused by the tape.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Check the oil sending unit and the pedestal it mounts to on the back of the engine. Remove both and rap with Teflon (plumbing) tape and re-install. Keep in mind that the oil pressure gauge may not work or work erratically due to the poor ground caused by the tape.

Thanks I'll take a look there. I guess I'm going to go out and take a look, hopefully it was just residual oil that was left up there from when it was first leaking oil, and it had all night to drain. Hopefully.....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just got back from a couple mile drive, and my hope of it just being the leftover oil on top of the engine has faided. The truck ran great, and has its great turbo whistle back ;Sweet (hopefully this one isnt already crapping out on me). I didnt really get a chance to get on it because the roads were super icy, and I had to drive in 4 high, and I dont really know how capable my 4wheel drive parts are so it took it easy. I did get on it in 3rd gear doing about 25mph, and it shot up to 2psi pretty quick, like it would before, but I had to get off it. EGT's seem normal, pretty much everything seems normal, except for that damned oil leak.

When I first started it up, for the first 3 minutes there was no oil, and I was like yeah all the oil has drained from atop the engine. Then I went in the shop to put some tools away and came back out in another minute to check up, and sure enough theres oil on the snow and its dripping on the up pipe (the one that crosses over from the drivers side exhaust manifold). So it seems like it only does it when the engine is warm, so I dont know. I can not find any leak up top on the turbo, no oil leak at all. So this leads me to believe that its down more. I was looking and do you guys suppose maybe my oil dipstick tub may habe a crack in it or something? that seems to be the perfect place for a leak to be coming from, because it would drip down onto the starter, which in turn onto the up pipe and onto the ground. Looks like I wont be going up in the snow today....

RedTruck

Reaction score
I haven't read all your posts here, but are you returning the oil from the turbo into your valley pan? That's a point of concern for oil leaks, but usually it drains down the back of the engine. Usually the cause of concern here is lack of holes in the baffling or the return tube doesn't get positioned through the grommet correctly. I'm not sure if you're running your return back into the pan?

Are you sure it's oil? Is it possible that you bumped your return lines during the turbo install?

Good luck,

Paul

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I have it returning through the valley pan. When I put it in this time I pocked some holes in the baffling, so it should be good. I have it positioned right, I'm pretty sure, because there is no oil that is collecting on the valley pan there, its dry. I looked at the oil dipstick tube, and it doesnt look like thats whats causing it, it looks more to the rear of the engine more. I'm going to pull the starter and see what I see up there, hopefully its something that RVT can fix.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I hope you didnt lift a head off. It could be that you blew a head gasket. Is there anything else going on that could lead you to believe that its a blown head gasket?

suv7734

Reaction score
Are you sure it's oil? Is it possible that you bumped your return lines during the turbo install?

If the original leak puked a bunch of oil into the valley pan and there is a return line leaking while running it may be the cause. The drain for the valley pan drops out the back and right in the area above the starter. If the oil is sitting there and getting washd out by a fuel leak it will 'flow' when the engine is running. Check the stuff on the ground and see if it smells like fuel.
Have you checked to see if the crankcase level is going down?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I hope you didnt lift a head off. It could be that you blew a head gasket. Is there anything else going on that could lead you to believe that its a blown head gasket?

I hope that isnt the case, I really hope that isnt it. I really do not want to open up that can of worms.... plus the parents would hold the "I told you you would blow up that engine" thing over my head. Coolant level is a little low, but I'm not seeing any white smoke when the truck is warmed up.

My oil level hasnt really gone down much, but I just havent driven it enough to make sure that it would just come gushing out on me when I'm running down the road at 60mph. Though it just seems to be a steady leak. I'll check that oil to see if it smells like fuel, maybe thats it.