It happened again

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
-cuss Well I lost another freeze plug, friday I was driving to my girlfriends house I was a few miles away when I looked down at the temp guage, it was steadly getting hotter and hotter, when I got to her place it never did overheat the guage stayed around "AL" on the "NORMAL" so I opened the radiator cap I didnt see any coolant but I did see alot of smoke, so I let it sit for day, then I checked where the leak is today, well it popped the freeze plug out, right behind the oil cooler. I thought it had popped out the one I installed or the other at the rear of the block.

So now I get to remove the oil cooler and out another freeze plug in. Im going to try and work around the oil cooler if I can but if I have to remove it I will, I just dont want to go through the hassle of R&R the oil cooler if I dont have too. :mad:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The only problem is without coolant the temp sender has nothing to base temperature off of. Basically it was reading high with the steam of the rapidly draining coolant. Fill it up with coolant and see how it runs. I hope nothing got warped.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I dont think any serious engine damage occured, it wasnt knocking at all and it never stalled out plus Im not too concerned with warpage I only have like 2500 miles on the rebuild, so I will know how it runs after I replace the freeze plug and put coolant in it.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The model A freeze plugs on these engines work pretty well, but are fussy about proper installation. Do you have an installation tool? Cleaning the machined sealing area is very important, you cannot just wipe it clean with a rag. Sometimes there is rust or other sediment in the corner area which needs to be scraped out with something sharp. I used Hylomar sealant for the installation, it works great so far (2 years).

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
The model A freeze plugs on these engines work pretty well, but are fussy about proper installation. Do you have an installation tool? Cleaning the machined sealing area is very important, you cannot just wipe it clean with a rag. Sometimes there is rust or other sediment in the corner area which needs to be scraped out with something sharp. I used Hylomar sealant for the installation, it works great so far (2 years).

No I dont have the proper installation tool, I had to replace one at the rear of the block a few months ago, for that I used a piece of 3/4 cold roll and a hammer, I cleaned the hole as best as I could with a scrapper and break kleen and a rag so far that one hasnt leaked or popped out.

sassyrel

Reaction score
No I dont have the proper installation tool, I had to replace one at the rear of the block a few months ago, for that I used a piece of 3/4 cold roll and a hammer, I cleaned the hole as best as I could with a scrapper and break kleen and a rag so far that one hasnt leaked or popped out.

and as knuckle said,,hylomar..costs,,but wayyyyy good stuff..

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My have aviation sealer then covered to about an inch on each side with JB weld. They ain't comin out till I want them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance