Bringing it back to life!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Had some fun today.
Friend of my wife t boned a tesla that ran a flashing yellow turn signal. Car did what cars do best, protect the passenger. But oh boy is it in sorry shape now.
You must be registered for see images attach

Other than needing to Sawzall part of the crash bar off so it didn't interfere with the passenger front wheel, it started up and drove just fine.

Started tearing it apart, and here's what I found;
-Passenger side engine mount broke in half
-EGR cooler bent against firewall, and hose cut
-Dogbone bent. Like how did that happen instead of the transmission break??
-Charge air cooler is straight up missing
-Mega bracket snapped at serp belt idler pulley. Ironically I had two spares.
-Anti-shudder valve took a solid punch, and it's broken. Shame it's part of the egr valve, as it works just fine.

However, complete suspension looks fine, which is great because I replaced it less than a year ago. Same with the cv shafts and the transmission was rebuilt 3 days before the accident. So I did what any frugal person will do.
I yarded that ***** out and moved it over to a donor car. Bought this chassis for $500. It was already a tdi, but the guy sold the engine. Comes with like 99% of what I need to put it back together, so that's exciting.

You must be registered for see images attach

6 hours to pull an engine, replace mega bracket, and get bolted up to a new chassis ain't that bad. I miss working on these things. Shame they aren't as cheap as they used to.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad everyone is safe. Did they deem the Tesla driver at fault?

I just love how frugal these TDI’s are. And reliable once brought up to *****. I miss both my ALH’s, I should have kept my wagon!!

The B5.5 is still frugal, just not 50+ mpg frugal!!

6 hrs is great!! I’m actually pretty slow at everything :rotflmao

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
OH yeah they got a ticket at the scene, failed to yield to oncoming traffic.
Dang I'm sore. But will be back at it again tomorrow!

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's refreshing to see wheel chocks and jack stands in a photo after some of the chit I've been seeing around lately..

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 hours to pull an engine, replace mega bracket, and get bolted up to a new chassis ain't that bad.
You don't mess around. I'm shocked to see all that green grass and none of that funny white stuff out there in the frozen tundra where you're at. :thumbsup:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You don't mess around. I'm shocked to see all that green grass and none of that funny white stuff out there in the frozen tundra where you're at. :thumbsup:
I wish we had snow, there's a good chance we won't see any until probably mid June around here.
I used to build tdi's like crazy 5 years ago, but hit a point where I just got tired of going to work, working on semis, then going home and working more on vw diesels. So I took a hiatus.

@rreegg i definitely always work safely, even with Jack stands I still throw the wheels under the chassis, just in case. And wheel chocks are definitely needed for this car, the park brake is sub par, but I'm moving as many pieces from the wrecked car over, including suspension, brakes, drive train, should be running this evening.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well, found out that I can't find the pancake pipe or turbo boost outlet pipe locally, dang I didn't realize how scarce these parts were becoming.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish we had snow, there's a good chance we won't see any until probably mid June around here.
I was in upstate New York a bunch of years ago and it snowed in July, I thought that was the craziest thing. Apparently it's more common than I realized.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got the front suspension all moved over, luckily the control arms, complete struts, and wheel ends weren't damaged. Engine all wired up filled with coolant, crank no start. Active faults for needle lift sensor and pump unable to sweep the throttle.
I had seen some wiring issues on the chassis before I dropped the engine in, guess I get to chase them a bit more.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can not be too safe working under a vehicle.

Looking at that Plumbers Nightmare of Hoses etc...
My 86 IDI and my 80`s Mercedes Diesels , and my 82 Datsun SD-22 diesel engine are refreshing to the eye to look at.
So much simpler, though maybe not the high milage the VW TDI gets.

Goat

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh these arent that bad, upper and lower rad hose, ac lines, and exhaust and she done. Now I just need to move the vacuum lines over, but I think I'm going to salvage the engine harness off the old car first...

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photos? How many miles on the vehicles?

You know the more I think of it, it was less the drivers fault and more just an envious act of rage from Tesla.

I mean can you blame Tesla for being mad.....18 years younger, can’t even go half the distance an ALH can in a single push......takes 10x longer to recover before it’s ready to run again.....yeah I’d be jealous too!!

LONG LIVE THE TDI’s!!!!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The guy that hit her ironically was in his mid 40s
Sadly didn't get any pictures of the tesla.
The blue sedan has 212k on the chassis, the wagon had 238k.
Im taking a small break from this project until Friday. Not enough daylight to work on it after work

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I’m even more saddened to hear a wagon lost the battle!!

There are only a few of us Station Wagon Lovers left in the states!!

LONG LIVE THE WAGONS :cheers:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the front suspension all moved over, luckily the control arms, complete struts, and wheel ends weren't damaged. Engine all wired up filled with coolant, crank no start. Active faults for needle lift sensor and pump unable to sweep the throttle.
I had seen some wiring issues on the chassis before I dropped the engine in, guess I get to chase them a bit more.
Chasing wires sure is fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online