IDI to Allison adapter valuable?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on the lookout for a spare IDI engine to rebuild, and I came across a 7.3 out of a school bus. It had an Allison mt643 transmission behind it, and the engine still has the adapter for that transmission. Are these adapters valuable? Interestingly the engine also has a turbo exhaust manifold that places the turbo next to the engine on the passenger side. See pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allison mt643 transmission behind it

That 643 is a whopper of a transmission....I imagine that it is one gear range shy of a 653...

I have built a couple of 653's and I had it spread all over the shop floor on cardboard to clean the beast...

You can build the torque convertor on those, too....it unbolts...and it has a torque convertor clutch as well...

As far as using the manifold on the passenger side for the turbo on our little trucks...it looks like you would have to delete your heater core and box from that area...I would try to turn it around to the driver side...but that would come with its own set of problems...

Fun to toss around the possibilities, though...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as using the manifold on the passenger side for the turbo on our little trucks...it looks like you would have to delete your heater core and box from that area...I would try to turn it around to the driver side...but that would come with its own set of problems...
It may be doable on a non a/c truck. Even with all the trucks I have sitting around I don't have a single non a/c to know how their box looks under the hood.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a single non a/c to know how their box looks under the hood.
Mine was a stripped-down Cab and Chassis but the heater is a High Output...I think that the heater core and box are slightly bigger...

If you can imagine the AC compressor gone as well as the lines, condensor, drier, and etc. ...you might get an idea if it would fit...

But the main problem for me would be not wanting a forward outlet for the exhaust near the steering box or PS pump...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on the non a/c system did they move the heater core to the a/c evaporator location?
I figured that the entire passenger side of the engine bay would be pretty much empty.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with all the trucks I have sitting around
I want to start a new language trend...'sitting around' is now banned...

The new term is...help me out here....'Valuable inventory'...or some such...

It seems that the old term 'sitting around' is applied by someone that does not see any value in our 'inventory'...and to prop up their evaluation...they accuse the inventory of the crime of 'sitting around'...

I mean...think about it...isn't it always a controversy when it comes to 'their stuff' and 'your crap'..?

This is why mobiles over childrens cradles should be banned...or at least licensed...

Humor me one time on this...think about it...why is it that when something is standing still...it is deemed to be wrong...or at least occupy a lower status than something that is in motion..?

Children get this idea in the crib...when a mobile is hanging over it and is moving...it gives the kids the idea that something has to be in motion to be good..!!

If something is standing still...it is figured to be 'not-as-good'...

Food for thought...

Your trucks represent planning and forethought...possibilities and conserved resources...you are a Green Machine...and are not aware of it...

They are not just...'sitting around'...at least not to me...

I wish that I had that situation...no room...
entire passenger side of the engine bay would be pretty much empty.
I should get you a picture...I'll try to get that Sunday...busy tomorrow...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all ain't gonna belive this...I was just talking about stuff (formerly termed) 'sitting around'...versus...'in inventory'...and what just happened not long after I typed that...?

The Girl is washing the dishes and water is pouring out from under the sink...

Of course the under-the-sink cabinet is full of kitchen supplies...file that under 'it figures'...but the point is...when we got it cleared out to see what was up...I had the parts to fix it up within...oh...about 45 minutes or less...did not have to go to any store and spend any money at all....just go to our storage container and pluck out the right bin.

You see...I am a scavenger...I save things...and when The Girl and I met...and decided to team up...along with me came my Plumbing Box.

Leftovers and other parts scavenged from Gosh-knows-what...

When She and I left the God-forsaken area known as the greater(?) D.C. metro area to move to God's Country...as we were going through our stuff...She organized the Plumbing supplies...God Bless Her and I was able to find what we needed in short order.

Funny how things work out when you have a self-reliant mindset...

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad that you got out of there and back to the real world.
I have inlaws that live inside the beltway and they are helpless when anything goes "wrong".

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad that you got out of there and back to the real world.
Thank you very much @Brian VT ...you are right...it must really be the 'Real World'...or...I hope it is and I am not living in some kind of dream...

The 'Vibe' here is so much different than what I was ever used to...

I hope that We (The Girl and I) can make the best of it here and assimilate...so far, the people here have been 'Real'...what others would call 'Good Folks'...

We count our blessings every day...I also hope that I can be of some use on this site...helpful and understanding and contributing to the overall idea of conservation of resources by making use of what we have on hand...not buying everything from overseas...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on the non a/c system did they move the heater core to the a/c evaporator location?
I figured that the entire passenger side of the engine bay would be pretty much empty.

James
On the 86 down trucks, the non-A/C trucks had the heater core under the hood, it was actually worse at taking up room. And the heater core is a lot more difficult to change out. The 86-dwn trucks with A/C had the core behind the glove box, but of course they had the evaporator sticking out in the way under the hood.

Then in 1987 Ford found some sanity, they kept all trucks A/C or no A/C the same, with all trucks having the heater core behind the glove box. On a 87-up truck with no A/C, they kept the heater core behind the glove box, and they then used this neat and tidy ductwork piece that sticks out from the firewall a couple of inches, and takes place of the evap core housing, giving you a lot more room under the hood and still letting your heat system work. If you can find a 87-up non-A/C truck, you could take the evap housing out of any truck and bolt the 87-up non-A/C housing in place.

If you have a 86-dwn non A/C truck, I think you are stuck with what you have unless you go to a lot of work to change everything around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.