HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
So how is the VGT controlled on that thing? I was under the assumption that the holset vgt actuator was controlled by the dodge PCM?

Or do you have a stand-alone controller and I missed that?

VGT's are really a slick idea, very cool project fabing this up wmoguy! ;Sweet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how is the VGT controlled on that thing? I was under the assumption that the holset vgt actuator was controlled by the dodge PCM?

Or do you have a stand-alone controller and I missed that?

VGT's are really a slick idea, very cool project fabing this up wmoguy! ;Sweet
He ripped the electronics off, underneath them is a short toothed piece of metal that opens and closes the vanes. Using a wastegate to actuate that rod

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Will you have the exhaust brake functional? My 2010 Ram 3500 has an excellent exhaust brake with that turbo. Very effective.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Will you have the exhaust brake functional? My 2010 Ram 3500 has an excellent exhaust brake with that turbo. Very effective.

No not initially. However it may very well this on its own. I have the setup designed to open the vanes based on boost pressure. So off the throttle will close it back up on its own. We will soon see how it all pans out.
Nothing new to report now. I am in Vegas this week for a convention. I hope to get to fill the tank with oil this weekend and check for oil leaks, and if time permits go ahead and make my cold air lines.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not initially. However it may very well this on its own. I have the setup designed to open the vanes based on boost pressure. So off the throttle will close it back up on its own. We will soon see how it all pans out.
Nothing new to report now. I am in Vegas this week for a convention. I hope to get to fill the tank with oil this weekend and check for oil leaks, and if time permits go ahead and make my cold air lines.

Don't close it down completely or it wont open up for crap lol, read about alot of others having that problem.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would that work? Wouldn't it take away some of the advantage of a vgt by taking away the vane adjustment based on load demand? Idk just my thinking.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Wow Flatlander, its been a while since I have seen you around. What did you do to protect the filter when you had the chance to fix it? Oh and I also look forward to Ron resurrecting your engine too. It should be neat to see how it runs...

I lurk every now and then. I like following a guy's project who's doing something different from the norm.

I ended up buying an air filter from a small cabover truck and bolting it down in the bed. It worked very well, but was a major PITA to clean up any time I filled the bed with mulch, dirt, etc. . .

DYoung "bought" all the components from my remote system, but I don't think he ever installed it

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to reinforce some eariler concerns about the air filter being low and mounted on the turbo. Dusty's IDI with the remote mounted DT466 turbo had a similar filter and was also mounted right to the intake of the turbo. He had serious issues with the filter clogging up in a very short amount of time (IIRC, it needed cleaning once a week) just driving it around town. He had to move the intake out of all the crap that blows around under the truck (like Barney's setup).

Heath

wmoguy

Reaction score
Well a little more progress was made. Things went slow as a lot of my buddies tools and such he left at work. I am saddened that my darn new brand new AC Condenser now sports a pinhole :rolleyes: but I guess I needed another project to fix. :eek:

Intercooler mounted. It's a little lower than some might like, but I'm pleased. This is essentially a pavement princess so I'm not that worried. I thought I had a pic with the bumper on it, it hangs down roughly 3-4" below the bumper. What I like is that it doesn't interfere with the AC Condenser or the radiator air flow.

Attachments

• 20120310_163533.jpg
    20120310_163533.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 295

wmoguy

Reaction score
Thats one short Tail Pipe! I'm hoping it makes this thing sound like a Jet!! :love:

I had a slight worry about a rock flung from the tires might somehow find it's way up thru that tail pipe into the turbine wheel. You can't see it in the pic, but inside that pipe is a layer of expanded metal that should act like a grate to protect the wheel some.

Attachments

• 20120310_154520.jpg
    20120310_154520.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 302

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online