HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

wmoguy

Reaction score
just for ***** and giggles and to stir up the pot. My 12v ran like 80-100 when cold and like 40-60 when warm. I would think 40 would be perfect. I think feeding a turbo is more of just making sure you have oil to it. Cummins spec for oil pressure is min 10psi. So if the turbo can last with as little as 10psi i think you are good to go :)

Cool thx! Yep my 24v Cummins cold ran same as yours. It was always said if you used cheap oil filters you'd pop a hole in them with the pressure. I never tested it myself out of fear, but I have seen pics to support it being true

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score

wmoguy

Reaction score
$4.50 Sewer Hose clamp and the Air Filter is in place.

Don't know how much more progress I"ll make today on it. I might yet get out there and spray can the Y PIpe and prepare it for Header Wrap. I've gotta go to Ft Collins later and get 30 gallons of waste trans fluid from a buddy to make my next batch of fuel. Why is it days off always get filled up with crap to do? :rotflmao

Attachments

• 20120222_124547.jpg
    20120222_124547.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 233

wmoguy

Reaction score
These are the running boards going on after this is all said and done. I'm thinking I can make a skid plate of sorts that goes from the frame to these running boards that will protect teh turbo and filter from road spray and I'll be fine. These running boards hang down several inches lower than the turbo sits so side spray from the tires and such should deflect alot of it

I will have to be cognizant of where my air cleaner is located as I back our boat in the water though! :rotflmao Our boat ramp is never going to cause me issue, but if we did take the boat off our lake I'll certainly have to think about it some

Attachments

• 20120222_125152.jpg
    20120222_125152.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 221

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No tig welder, and I'm guessing he didn't want to have anything to do with piping that fed an engine. He also doesn't have a mandrel bender so we'd be using prebent sections, creating alot of welds.

He's a good guy that goes to our old church and I know him pretty well. If he's not comfortable with the job I understand. He did give me a name of a hot rod shop that has a mandrel bender and does tig work. Problem is they are in South Denver, which is 2 hours for me. My trailer isn't stout enough to trailer this pickup down there to get the work done.
This just all came down this morning so I gotta regroup and figure out WHEN I'm going to be able to do this. I may just stick to the plan, get the turbo off Sat. drop it off to him and have him do the exhaust piping. I might drive it around for a few days with no boost and instead a leaf blower on the side of the pickup. :rotflmao

Maybe stick to the plan to take the turbo off then have your bud do the exhaust stuff and then drive the truck to the hot rod shop and have um do the cold side stuff.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've got an idea'r thats a little off the wall. But considering getting the compressed air pipe is proving a little challenging with the available resources around here; what if I used some high temp/high pressure hydraulic soft hose for my compressed "piping"? There's an industrial supply shop locally that has everything under the sun at pretty reasonable prices that I'm sure carries this very hose in stock. Anyone see any reason why this wouldn't work?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would worry about it flexing and then going limp as boost rises and falls. I would think this action over time would create holes in it. I also would worry about it flexing and maybe even hitting or getting in the way of something it shouldn't. There is also the possibility of big kinks or even small kinks whick can make a boost restriction. I have seen soft lines before but I would just be scared to do them over a long distance...

wmoguy

Reaction score
I would worry about it flexing and then going limp as boost rises and falls. I would think this action over time would create holes in it. I also would worry about it flexing and maybe even hitting or getting in the way of something it shouldn't. There is also the possibility of big kinks or even small kinks whick can make a boost restriction. I have seen soft lines before but I would just be scared to do them over a long distance...

you think it would bulge with under 20psi? The hose I have in mind is rated for 2500psi and has dual steel core mesh in it. It's rated for either 300 or 350 degree internal temp. I know they stock it up to 2" ID, I'm not sure if they stock anything larger though. IIRC I can get it for about $5 a foot.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily a bulge. More just from the fact that any time there is a change in pressure it could flex or move. I could be wrong but I would think it could be a possibility. And IMO at that price why spend money on something that you might not be happy with when you can spend a lil bit more and get it done in a way that you know will work. Know what I mean?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Well I called the shop that carries said hose and they said don't do it. He said it'll more than handle the compressed air, etc.... He said they've had guys try it before and the ended up melting down the hose and causing catastrophic damages to the turbo or engine. He said even the 350 degree hose wasn't sufficient (safely)

Darn. :rotflmao

Wonder if a good quality Flexpipe would work? :dunno:rotflmao

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
when i read your post that was the first thing that popped into my head was the hose some how coming apart going down hill from there. I think you are going to end up making a cold pipe with normal piping.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sort of a side note but are you putting a filter on the turbo oil feed? i dont see one, i know the tank is new but i wonder if it could have any flash rust particles in there, or just any debre in the system. i have the same HF tank and just sitting in my garage the outside is bubbling under the paint.

love the pics and info keep it coming!

wmoguy

Reaction score
sort of a side note but are you putting a filter on the turbo oil feed? i dont see one, i know the tank is new but i wonder if it could have any flash rust particles in there, or just any debre in the system. i have the same HF tank and just sitting in my garage the outside is bubbling under the paint.

love the pics and info keep it coming!

Check out post #7. I have an inline filter on it before the feed pump