fuel tank switch

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when try to run off my rear tank the fuel filter light in the dash comes on and the motor dies. it has a full tank. i am thinking about using low air pressure to blow the lines out. is that a bad thing to do? also how can i test the valve were the 6 hose go to?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Have you used the rear tank much in the past? It's possible the Pollack valve may be a little stuck, I would say try tapping it with a screwdriver or something but it's plastic and gentleness is the key.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i have used it alot. when i push the button the valve makes a clicking sound. is that good?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that same problem after I dropped my rear tank and lines and then reinstalled it- but, in my case it was because I switched the lines around (at the selector valve) so it wasn't picking up any fuel.

At any rate either the lines are plugged or the selector valve is stuck.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I dropped my rear tank and reinstalled it, it would run off the rear tank, but there was a pretty noticeable drop in power compared to the front tank. I dropped the rear tank for a second time and found that the return line got kinked when I installed it. It didn't close off all the way, just enough to be a definite difference as soon as I hit the switch......One more reason to not drop your tank when half full of fuel.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could there be crap blocking the lines? how can be sure sure the switch? i really need some help with this becuase there is 65 dollars of fuel on the line and it would be a shame to not be able to burn it up.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carefully blew mine out with an air hose, set the selector on the rear tank, then unhooked the line to the fuel pump. Take the air nozzle and blow air back through the line, just kinda feathering the air. You can hear the fuel and then air bubbling in the tank. Set the selector valve to the front tank, and repeat. I had junk in the rear tank that it blew out of the line, and that let me drive the truck until the tank was empty, so I could drop it and clean it.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took the lines going to the front tank at the valve a swaped them with the lines going to the rear tank and still nothing. then i took the rear lines off the valve and blue them out with some air and i heard bubbles in the tank and it still will not run off the rear tank

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i drained the rear tank and i am droping tomorrow. i think its the pickup tube...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If the shower head has disintegrated, it likely has put pieces in the fuel lines. I was driving on the freeway when mine just quit due to a clogged fuel line. I didn't know until dropping the tank and removing the sender. Blowing air might help some, but if the crud is in there, it may have hurt the switch, too. Check for leaks.