fuel flow drawing wanted, can't see how return gets in tank?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help you there unfortunately. I just removed mine and plugged them off, assuming that's the fitting in the filter head for the return line?
Yes, it is.
Could you all see the video? (it's the first time I put a video up like this.)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first run after complete fuel system clean-up This is video
It turned out that I, in order to get her running, with a lot of fuel hose and hose-clamps and the necessary magic needed the assistance of a electric fuelpump, and it turned out that somewhere in the line the system had some air intrusion. after again starting at the tank, and checking and re-tightening all connections, she started, letting her run for 10-15 minutes increasing revs to 2000Rpm, I slowly reve'd down, stopping the engine, disconnected the e-pump and had again problems starting the engine.
since glowplugs were disabeled (and the engine being warm) a little "Whiff" of
startpilot was enough to bring her back to life.
again letting her run for 10-15 minutes was enough to assure me that it's ok now, and one hour later I tried to restart her, no problem, a quarter of a turn!
now see how things hold trough the night???
Without reading your whole thread, did you add on that glass bottom filter?
Are you still using the OEM filter?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, no ,yes; That with the glass bottom is a standard agricultural or marine filter, I've bought and installed it because it's about ten times cheaper than a original filter, and my reasoning behind is: I leaned up every part possible for me to clean, but there are still pieces where I cannot reach. and therefore I have foreseen that perhaps the first 14 days or month algea still will develop and they need to be caught in that filter instead of going in the pump or injectors. I also have two spare filters from them, to quickly change them when necessary. But until now I didn't got to it, since it starts, runs until about 1500RPM, after that I have the feeling the filter chokes the pump.
If I run the engine under load around 2000 rpm, it starts running irregular, and in the end just gives up running. and is then very difficult to restart, until you leave it overnight, then it starts great again..........

The thing is; it's very very difficult to get technical details, such as min and max flow and such. so I've sought for the biggest filter I reasonnably could find, and it wasn't even big enough. But Hé! it's all guesswork, since no filter details were known.

And If I get this engine running great again, and have no more problems with clogging filters, I have the intension to return back to the original filter unit.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Hope this might help.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is how my van came when I bought it. Fuel Filter relocated to trans cross member.
That's what I want to do to mine. The filter being in the limited van style engine compartment really interferes w/ the ease of doing some other things in there.
Have you had any issues w/ it not being at the highest point of the system? I already run an electric lift pump so figured that I'd put it near that on the frame.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LowTech i did not experience any issues. I bought the van already in that configuration.

The issues I experienced I believe are all timing related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.