Finally got another one

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
so after buying that 91 F350 a few months back, it ended up not having any compression and I just scrapped the truck. Been patiently waiting, and found this beast a few days ago. Picked it up for $600 86 F350 6.9IDI/C6 dually flatbed. Has gooseneck and bumper hitches on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Video of engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7mhOb9ytK4

I plan to tow this with it:

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm going to need a bunch of little things here and there, like dash parts (as you can see in the video). Other than that, what should I look into doing before it goes into tow status. I plan to build an intake, much bigger exhaust, and turn up the IP to start with, Turbo coming later on. Is there much else I can do? I know the C6 is going to rob a ton of power, so I will be on the lookout for a ZF5.

Overall, $600 initial costs seems like a good investment.
What you guys think?

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I've been reading about these upgraded injectors and pumps, are these worth doing on an N/A engine? Also I think I heard that the 7.3IP is better, I still have the one from my old F350, worth swapping?

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading about these upgraded injectors and pumps, are these worth doing on an N/A engine? Also I think I heard that the 7.3IP is better, I still have the one from my old F350, worth swapping?

Nah, not really. The fuel provided by the moose pump and injectors can't be burned without a turbo stuffing more air in there as well. Now, a quality rebuilt IP and new injectors will make a nice difference for a N/A truck with old (worn out) fuel hardware.

Heath

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
so basically just hold out and put a turbo kit on. I had a 92 7.3 IDI w/ ATS kit and ZF5 that wasnt bad at all

how often do used kits come up and what can i expect to pay?

and I guess the bigger question... can this motor with intake/exhaust/IP boost tow my 5,000lb buggy and trailer. I'm assuming it can.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
it will, just dont expect to break any records. it will get you there, over any hill, just slower. lol. what i tell everyone thats asks about towing.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
It may lose some speed on hills with 5,000 behind it, but on somewhat flat terrain it should hold 65 just fine from my experience. Your RPMs will be high, but these trucks don't mind.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could see some of these things around here pulling goose necks loaded with 14 to 18 and sometimes more round bales of hay or twenty eight foot livestock trailers loaded running the speed limit, you wouldn't be worried. A couple of years ago after Ike came though Galveston and Houston I had to go down with an 06 chebby 5.3l and recover my Son in laws truck. On the way back one of my wheel bearings went out, a friend came out and took the trailer with my Son in laws truck with a N/A 6.9 F350 single cab flat bed. Then came back with the trailer and picked up my CC and brought it home. The trailer weighted about 4K and my truck came in just under 6K. The F350's 6.9 never seemed to strain. I have yet to tow anything with my new to me truck. What I did find out on that trip, I didn't want to tow with a 1/2 ton truck again.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
will it be able to hold 65?

HA HA HA NO. Not from my experiances. I was following a fully loaded concrete tanker today up a hill and he was walking away from me-cuss My truck is a gutless pig and that is with no trailer

But i think you did quite well on your purchase

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
sounds like mixed feelings, I guess I will have to wait and see. If it doesnt do what I need, hopefully it will hold me over till I find something else.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on if the motor is healthy, if the fuel system is healthy and what gear ratio the rear end has. I think a N/A 6.9 with 4.10s or lower or a 3.55 6.9 or 7.3 turbo should be able to do any work that it is reasonable to ask a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to do. The turbo will be a big help on the hills and when towing heavy. Before you add the turbo you might want to refresh the head gaskets unless they are somewhat recent. They come up on ebay, craigslist, and here pretty often, just have to determine what you are willing to spend and you may also find one in a wrecking yard locally. You have to be careful, you can get a great deal or a real stinker on the used turbo front. The way you can get really screwed is if you pay a lot for a supposedly good kit that needs a lot of work or if you get a turbo kit that is missing key, difficult to "redneck engineer" no longer available components, cast stuff like casting collectors and up pipes, special manifolds etc. Good luck it has lots of potential.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
will it be able to hold 65?

It should be able to hold 65 MPH with 5000lbs behind it, unless you come up to a big hill. My triaxle trailer weighs 4000 empty and even with the Farmall 300 on it you can see it but not feel it in the hills.